Zen77

Chances of getting a k1 fiance visa after only one meeting in person

70 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Spending more time together before applying is beneficial for multiple reasons.  This is especially important if there is a significant age difference, different religion, etc.  Best practice is to meet multiple times.  

there's no such difference, not even religious, not even a language barrier, age gap is only 3 years and the male in the relationship is older

Edited by Zen77

19 hours ago, powerpuff said:

This is key and that’s something OP doesn’t want to do because they “don’t want to waste time planning trips” which frankly is a bizarre statement to me considering K1 process takes 18-24 months these days and also that excuse doesn’t fly with US immigration. 

well you get used to the distance and 18 to 24 months won't mean much when you have spent 4 years waiting since 2019, and all you care about at that point is just to start your life together instead of short temporary meetings that ends with another painful goodbye to who knows when again 

18 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

No one here would say realionship is not real or that the embassy would or would not approve it (not for certain) but we look at what happens with high fraud countries like yours and mine

USCIS acutallly puts out stats on this and from the site

# 5 reason for denial

5.  a short courting period before the filing of the K-1 petition (e.g., mail order brides, spur-of-the-moment proposals after a first visit)

https://visarefusal.com/inadmissibility/k-1-visa-

refusals/#:~:text=According%20to%20those%20statistics%2C%20approximately,initial%20denial%2C%20some%20do%20not.

Love does not conquer all. As further proof: the Department of State refusal statistics for fiancées/fiancés. According to those statistics, approximately 20,000 K-1 fiancées/fiancés every year are denied visas when they go to their interviews at the embassy. This is nearly 40% of the total number of K-1 visa applicants. And while eventually many of them are able to overcome the initial denial, some do not.

and talking online,  texting, phone calls are small part of courting but if it was the biggest part , then i am courting over 200 on Facebook ,  what's app,  etc

that link doesn't work and we've been together for 4 years continuously there's no spur of the moment or mail ordered stuff 

15 hours ago, Sammy_2496 said:

Yeah this is an odd comment to make… spending time, with your fiance, the one you love, should never be labelled as “a waste of time”

you're all misunderstanding, we don't wanna waste more time before getting together , we just wanna live together, if possible through k1 visa why waste time planning temporary trips before filing the k1 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Zen77 said:

you're all misunderstanding, we don't wanna waste more time before getting together , we just wanna live together, if possible through k1 visa why waste time planning temporary trips before filing the k1 

Okay this isn't like test driving a car for 18 months before deciding to buy. You need to prove the validity of the relationship beforehand. You are 100% allowed to live together, but that's going to have be done in their country or a third country.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

My 2 cents...

Before filing our I-129F, my fiancee and I met only once (for 42 days), have a 20+ year gap, and showed a relationship for six months prior to the physical meeting.

We received NOA2 last month after waiting 400+ days.

I have visited her another five times and and we have accrued substantial additional relationship evidence.

We also submitted letters of relationship support from both families with the I-129F.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Best of luck.

We had 2 in person meetings 2 weeks each time. Covid hit immediately after our second in person meeting and after a long time (18 months) waiting for travel to open back up we decided to file the K1. You seem to have more time together that we had with a similar age difference and she got her visa last month with no problems or extra scrutiny.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Zen77 said:

why not just move together

What does that mean?

what if we meet again for few days and it's still not enough

Then

* K-1 will be denied,

* you will have to marry

* CR-1/IR-1 will also be denied if you do not spend  enough time together

is it even worth it in terms of visa approval

I have never seen this question before. It sounds like you can afford the time and cost to meet but you are loathe to spend either if not necessary to get a visa.

Nobody can say what amount of time together will be enough for you to get a visa. This depends on the CO, the consulate, and your economic circumstances. 

Let’s say the magic visa fairy appears before you and says, you have your choice of two wishes:

1. If you never meet again, your visa will be approved. However, I will not tell you when your visa will be approved. If you meet before it is approved, the visa will eventually be denied.

2. If you meet each other every 120 days (or less) your visa will eventually be approved. However, I will not tell you when your visa will be approved. If you go 121 days or  more between  meetings, the visa will eventually be denied.

Which wish do you pick?

The magic visa fairy did not appear before me. But I acted as if she had and I picked the second wish. A desire for visa approval was secondary. I wanted to be with my fiancee, and would have waited as long as it took. Meeting again was always worth it because I got to be with a person that I desired intensely. 

Edited by Mike E

35 minutes ago, MarJhi said:

Okay this isn't like test driving a car for 18 months before deciding to buy. You need to prove the validity of the relationship beforehand. You are 100% allowed to live together, but that's going to have be done in their country or a third country.

No we're not allowed to live together, it goes against our mutual belief and family system, we do not want to live together before marriage

You seem to be in denial. We’re giving you advice and you’re rebutting every point. By all means, do not meet again before the interview, this isn’t our immigration journey. You’re the one who has a lot at stake, not us.

You asked a question - will this be a problem/should we worry about this? - we gave you a CLEAR answer - YES, It is a problem, you should worry - and you do not seem to like the answers. Just because you do not like the answers, does not mean it’s bad advice or it’s not true.

At my K1 interview I was asked “when was the last time you saw your fiancé?”.  I was well prepared for the question as we have seen each other recently before the interview and the CO was satisfied.

1 hour ago, Zen77 said:

well you get used to the distance and 18 to 24 months won't mean much when you have spent 4 years waiting since 2019, and all you care about at that point is just to start your life together instead of short temporary meetings that ends with another painful goodbye to who knows when again 

1 hour ago, Zen77 said:

Try telling this to the interviewing officer when he asks when was the last time you saw each other and let us know how it goes.

12 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

You seem to be in denial. We’re giving you advice and you’re rebutting every point. By all means, do not meet again before the interview, this isn’t our immigration journey. You’re the one who has a lot at stake, not us.

You asked a question - will this be a problem/should we worry about this? - we gave you a CLEAR answer - YES, It is a problem, you should worry - and you do not seem to like the answers. Just because you do not like the answers, does not mean it’s bad advice or it’s not true.

At my K1 interview I was asked “when was the last time you saw your fiancé?”.  I was well prepared for the question as we have seen each other recently before the interview and the CO was satisfied.

Try telling this to the interviewing officer when he asks when was the last time you saw each other and let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

At my K1 interview I was asked “when was the last time you saw your fiancé?”.

My then fiancee  was asked the exact same question, even though the CO had received evidence we had met 8 weeks before the interview.

She answered: “2 hours ago, when he brought me to the embassy”.

Timeline

So what you seem to want is to file a K1, have her go ahead and come to the US, get married to her so you can live together. Then while you are ALREADY married and she is in the US you want to wait out the time until your K1 is approved. What is the point of the process if you are just trying to circumvent the process?

I do not think this works the way you seem to want it to work.

Timeline

Not everyone has the luxury to meet their significant other if they are located in another country. Some of us are limited by time or finances, so I wouldn't put too much stock in just how many times you've met one another. Meeting someone & taking photos isn't enough to verify the existence of a relationship. If you are only able to meet once or twice, you will simply need to prove your relationship in other ways such as conversation logs, video chats, phone calls, gift receipts, financial support you may provide, etc. A sustained interaction between the two of you should hold a lot more weight than simply how often you are able to meet one another in person. 

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Kawika said:

Not everyone has the luxury to meet their significant other if they are located in another country

OP has not indicated this is a problem. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Zen77 said:

3 hours ago, Zen77 said:

No we're not allowed to live together, it goes against our mutual belief and family system, we do not want to live together before marriage

These two statements basically contradict one another. Regardless, the K1 process isn't a fast one at this point in time. I'm thinking that it is still over a year to go through the entire process. Are you guys so in love that you don't even want to see each other for a year? If you've met the requirements for the K1 VISA & that's the route you want to go...then fill it out & get the process started. If the USCIS feels that your relationship isn't real...they will send you an RFE (Request For Evidence) for additional evidence of a relationship. If you have met again since you've submitted your application, then you will be able to submit any additional evidence you have. In addition, you can always include other means of verifying your relationship via chat, video calls, phone calls, gift receipts, financial support, etc. I am pretty sure that the USCIS will want to see more than just evidence that the two of you have met to prove the existence of a relationship between the two of you, so I wouldn't just be focused on the physical meeting aspect of things.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.