throaway4258702

Remote Unauthorized Work on K1 visa

18 posts in this topic

I entered US on K1 visa and got married, will I be in trouble for unauthorized work during adjustment of status process?

I'm aware any work is considered unauthorized until I receive my EAD through the AOS process, but I've read a lot of forums, saying that it will be forgiven because I'm an immediate relative of a US citizen (my spouse), as long as I don't lie about it. Is this true? I'm frankly just confused at this point because I can't find a 100% guarantee that I won't get in trouble for this. We planned for this but still could use extra income.

I know it doesn't matter that much but I get ad revenue off YouTube, so it's strictly remote and I'm not employed anywhere in US or otherwise.

7 minutes ago, throaway4258702 said:

I entered US on K1 visa and got married, will I be in trouble for unauthorized work during adjustment of status process?

I'm aware any work is considered unauthorized until I receive my EAD through the AOS process, but I've read a lot of forums, saying that it will be forgiven because I'm an immediate relative of a US citizen (my spouse), as long as I don't lie about it. Is this true? I'm frankly just confused at this point because I can't find a 100% guarantee that I won't get in trouble for this. We planned for this but still could use extra income.

I know it doesn't matter that much but I get ad revenue off YouTube, so it's strictly remote and I'm not employed anywhere in US or otherwise.

Ad from content already created is not you actively working.  You could have tenants in your home country, and they would be paying you rent. 

Bolded part is true, at this time.  True, also, that no one here can promote illegal activities.  So, no one here can tell you it is ok. 

4 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Ad from content already created is not you actively working.  You could have tenants in your home country, and they would be paying you rent. 

Bolded part is true, at this time.  True, also, that no one here can promote illegal activities.  So, no one here can tell you it is ok. 

I'd also have to keep making videos however, so technically you could say I'd be actively working 

I get that it's literally called unauthorized work but if USCIS actually forgives it for citizen's relatives, is this really promoting illegal activities? I don't know why informing others on this is such a problem on visajourney, people on Reddit and other places seem to inform everybody that's a thing. 

Like I'm not even taking someone's job at a local company and I'm fine with paying taxes on any income, so who is this harming? 

18 minutes ago, throaway4258702 said:

I'd also have to keep making videos however, so technically you could say I'd be actively working 

I get that it's literally called unauthorized work but if USCIS actually forgives it for citizen's relatives, is this really promoting illegal activities? I don't know why informing others on this is such a problem on visajourney, people on Reddit and other places seem to inform everybody that's a thing. 

Like I'm not even taking someone's job at a local company and I'm fine with paying taxes on any income, so who is this harming? 

Read the terms of service of the forum. You agreed to them when you signed up. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

49 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Read the terms of service of the forum. You agreed to them when you signed up. 

I'm not allowed to even question a rule on this forum that's based on extremely outdated laws? 

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

USCIS must forgive. ICE and CBP do not have to forgive. 

What does this mean? If you're aware of some consequences that unauthorized work could bring, that's exactly what I asked for. Please share. I genuinely want to know because I found decent arguments for both sides so far but no clear answers.

Edited by throaway4258702

3 minutes ago, throaway4258702 said:

I'm not allowed to even question a rule on this forum that's based on extremely outdated laws? 

What does this mean? If you're aware of some consequences that unauthorized work could bring, that's exactly what I asked for. Please share. I genuinely want to know because I found decent arguments for both sides so far but no clear answers.

If you want to discuss the current laws and policies, General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum might be a better choice.  Or reach out to your elected officials, start a petition, reach out to Immigrant groups in your area... 

No one said they agreed with the law(s), just that it is currently what it is. 

16 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

If you want to discuss the current laws and policies, General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum might be a better choice.  Or reach out to your elected officials, start a petition, reach out to Immigrant groups in your area... 

No one said they agreed with the law(s), just that it is currently what it is. 

I only brought it up because you said that basically giving any advice on this matter on this forum is promoting illegal activities which I found absurd. I just wanted to know if there are any consequences because I couldn't find any evidence that it could be potentially problematic. The other person said that ICE and CBP do not have to forgive but I just can't find any information supporting this. 

3 hours ago, throaway4258702 said:

I only brought it up because you said that basically giving any advice on this matter on this forum is promoting illegal activities which I found absurd. I just wanted to know if there are any consequences because I couldn't find any evidence that it could be potentially problematic. The other person said that ICE and CBP do not have to forgive but I just can't find any information supporting this. 

Here I googled "Working illegally on a K-1 Visa", do as you see fit.

Working on a K-1 Visa: Risk of Working Without an EAD

That being said, if you work illegally while in the United States on your K-1 visa, you would be in direct violation of your K-1 visa status expectations. You then risk your opportunity to adjust your status and will not be able to apply for or receive a green card.

Some people decide to work illegally while they are awaiting clearance to work with a pending K-1 visa. Working illegally is a violation of your visa status—and if you're not in valid visa status, you're not eligible to adjust status and get a green card. Consult an immigration attorney for details.

Edited by Bob in Boston

10 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

I only brought it up because you said that basically giving any advice on this matter on this forum is promoting illegal activities which I found absurd.

We tell you how to do it legally. We have rules on this Forum that prohibit talk about Skirting the process. That is best left to the Lawyers, They love to fight the system with other peoples money. 

1 hour ago, Bob in Boston said:

Here I googled "Working illegally on a K-1 Visa", do as you see fit.

Working on a K-1 Visa: Risk of Working Without an EAD

That being said, if you work illegally while in the United States on your K-1 visa, you would be in direct violation of your K-1 visa status expectations. You then risk your opportunity to adjust your status and will not be able to apply for or receive a green card.

Some people decide to work illegally while they are awaiting clearance to work with a pending K-1 visa. Working illegally is a violation of your visa status—and if you're not in valid visa status, you're not eligible to adjust status and get a green card. Consult an immigration attorney for details.

50 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

We tell you how to do it legally. We have rules on this Forum that prohibit talk about Skirting the process. That is best left to the Lawyers, They love to fight the system with other peoples money. 

You seem to have a problem with lawyers yet you're just quoting some random attorney from alllaw.com to argue for you?

I thought that if USCIS actually forgives it then it's perfectly legal and isn't skirting the process or anything of the sort. I didn't have a reason to believe this is illegal, and if I'm really in the wrong then literally no one in this thread actually answered the question and backed it up with sources 

I've been on this forum off and on for months and people here must have a fetish for leaving snarky or hostile comments. Small percentage actually helps but most new topics I've been seeing from new people are just full of smartasses that aren't there to help. Literally r/immigration and r/USCIS ON REDDIT OF ALL PLACES does better job at giving immigration advice than this forum anymore. What a joke. 

18 minutes ago, throaway4258702 said:

Literally r/immigration and r/USCIS ON REDDIT OF ALL PLACES does better job at giving immigration advice than this forum anymore.

Well if they do a better job in your opinion then follow their advice. I believe the work being forginen is for AOS of overstays who supported themselves BEFOR their immigration process. When you came on a K-1 that visa has its own stipulations.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.