Sudowpa2

Visitors Visa for Minor

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am an Americana citizen living in Colombia at the moment. My wife is going through the CR1/IR1 visa.

We are anticipating arriving in USA around December time frame. 

My wife's niece, Age 8,  would like to come. I am thinking about filing a visitors visa for her. I am the only one who can fill out the forum since the parents cannot understand English.

I would also be the one support the girl when she gets into the USA by providing lodging and food. Reason for visit is that I want to take both of them to Walt Disney World in Orlando.

She will have strong ties to Colombia to return back. She will have her parents and school to return to.

I understand that if the girl was to get approved that my wife would need consent from the parents through a notary for her to leave the country.

I also understand that the girl might not need an interview being that she is under 13 years old.

My question is what would be the odds of her obtaining the Visitor's visa at the age of 8 when her Aunt and Uncle will be applying and supporting the trip?

Thank you for answers in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I don't see this successful..

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

I just don't know what they want because they are very vague when it comes to information about B2 visas for minors.

Basically, it is just do the application , pay the 160 and if it gets denied...oh well kind of thing.

Timeline

This isn't your kid. Nor is your wife's. Chances of getting a B-2 for your niece to go with you 2 to FL is almost zilch in my opinion. Next thing, she's schooling in FL and isn't going back home. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Double check interview waiver requirements for Colombia.

India has this caveat: 

1. Children under 14 years of age must submit a photocopy of each parent’s passport biographic information page and valid U.S. visa. If the parents do not hold U.S. visas, the children are not eligible for the interview waiver.

Basically with everything you can apply and hope for the best but your niece will probably have to go to the interview with an adult and they might find it odd the parents aren’t planning to travel with her.
Questions:

Why do her parents not want to visit the US with their daughter ?

Has the daughter spent significant time away from her family?

Does she understand the length of her stay and how far away she will be from her environment? 

Edited by ROK2USA

I'd think the ONLY way the child would get a B2 visa is if the parents had strong ties and presumably also had or were getting B2 visas.  I think the consul would only consider the circumstances of the parents or absence thereof.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sudowpa2 said:

She will have strong ties to Colombia to return back

Yet she also has strong ties to the US. 

1 hour ago, Sudowpa2 said:

I would also be the one support the girl when she gets into the USA by providing lodging and food

Strong tie to the US. 

You can always try, just don’t get your hopes up.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Additional questions: is the plan for the child to travel with you to US when your wife activates her visa? 
Or

will she visit after you have settled? Is the plan for her to travel as an unaccompanied minor or do you plan on flying to the US and back to Colombia? 
Are you comfortable doing tourist things AND immigration/ moving things at the same time? 

Speaking as someone who just moved to the US, I’ll confess the last thing I wanted to  do when I arrived was go on a vacation. I was more interested in getting my SSN, DL, physical green card and a job 😂

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline

With the CR1 the green card and SSN would be automatically delivered.

The parents have strong ties to the country because they have a house and they are both working. That would be the reason why they wouldn't be able to come to the USA with the daughter.

I am going to have to close this thread because I was talking to my wife and she was talking to the father. It seems that they had a change of heart. They don't want her to go because she might get hurt. Which is a lousy excuse. All kids get hurt. You can't watch them 24/7. But it is their child and nothing I can do.

I just found it odd that they changed their mind just after I got done paying for the childs passport. I guess they got a free passport out of the situation.

I am kind of glad that me and my wife are leaving. This kind of ####### happens all the time here. No one can ever keep their word. 

I would say if it really comes down to it and we all want to go to Disney land with the girl. We can just use the passport to enter Paris France. I always wanted to go back and see Germany. Dealing with the USA is too much of a Hassel when the girl gets 90 days free in Europe with the Colombian passport.

Everyone i would like to thank you for shining some light on it. I really appreciate it. 

Whoever is thr moderator. Could you please close the thread. Thank you.

Timeline

Welcome to Colombia my friend. I know it all too well. Don't even get me started about the airport experience. If you don't speak Spanish, they'll ignore the he'll out of you and are rude while at it and all that time, they're busy chatting on Whatsapp. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread closed at OP's request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.