Gregorywaynepool

Can I change my K-1Visa to CR-1

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filed for our K1 visa back in May of 2022..

latest update says it will be end of August before the case is reviewed and it keeps changing to later and later dates..Very frustrating to say the least , it's going  on 8 months since we filed..

Can I file for a CR-1 if were to get married in her country? (Philippines) Just trying to find a quicker way to start our lives together..Any advice would be appreciated ..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

8 months in, I don't think it would be worth it to get married and file for a CR-1. It wouldn't make it any faster for you to start your lives together. The timeline for CR-1 looks to be about the same amount of time as the K-1 now, so you'd just be doing the opposite of what you're hoping to do. 

That being said, yes, it is possible. You'd have to cancel your K-1 application then submit the I-130, but it is do-able.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1 is much better but you are 8 months behind so not quicker.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Gregorywaynepool said:

Can I file for a CR-1 if were to get married in her country? (Philippines)

Yes.  

Get ready for some contrarian advice.  

Get married this week or next using Utah County web marriage service.  Meet up. Then cancel I-129F.   File I-130 / I-130A.  

This will not let you start your lives together faster. It will however let your spouse work immediately upon arrival into the U.S. versus waiting 12 months or more employment authorization.  

If by some miracle I-129F is approved after you marry and before you meet in person, the K-1 path is still alive as long as you don’t meet.  Hence my advice to not cancel I-129F until after you meet in person. 

Timeline

Mike E I have to see her 2 times so far this year .. I went there in April then in October ..Still not sure what is the best way forward🙏....Thanks to everyone commenting , i know many people are in the same boat as me.....Just very frustrated as I'm sure many couples are feeling the same way..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Gregorywaynepool said:

Mike E I have to see her 2 times so far this year .. I went there in April then in October ..Still not sure what is the best way forward🙏....Thanks to everyone commenting , i know many people are in the same boat as me.....Just very frustrated as I'm sure many couples are feeling the same way..

It really depends on the long-term situation.  Is it important for your immigrating fiancé to work immediately?  Is it important for them to be free to leave the US and re-enter relatively soon after entering the US?  Is money an issue?

It is a tough decision for you at this point 8 months in, but you have to weigh that against the additional time it will take to do the AOS, get work authorization, get advanced parole, and the added cost of the I485.

The spousal visa is far superior to the fiancé visa, but changing it at this point is a personal decision.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

So I consider myself very very lucky. I switched from K-1 to Cr-1 after waiting an entire 12 months. My CR-1 was approved four months after the switch and we are currently at NVC. We got really lucky in the sense that they never closed our  K1 application and so when they naturally got to process our old K1 visa, they saw that we had an active Cr-1 visa. They denied the K1 and approved the CR-1 same day (they sent a letter saying that was the reason for the denial, and that the approved the CR-1 instead....so I know that the old active K1 visa played a huge part in how things got approved so fast for our CR-1). 

My husband and I both took the risk willing to wait another two years to hear back for the CR-1 just because of how much benefits it provide (we only did K-1 at first because of border closures). So we were pleasantly surprised when we heard back a lot sooner. 

Edited by rocky95

Timeline

It looks like we will maintain our course , 8 months is a lot of time to give up😞 and start a new visa application ...

Times on the process are always being pushed the wrong way you know, at first we thought maybe we catch a break and our timeline would improve but I do not think this will be the case..

It's super hard for all of us to wait such an unfair amount of time to be with the ones we love... We chat and video call each other everyday ......

Thanks for the words of encouragement , well appreciated ..So thankful for this site, it's a comfort being able to speak to others going thru the same journey...

Best regards always and keep the faith😁

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 12/28/2022 at 3:30 AM, Gregorywaynepool said:

I filed for our K1 visa back in May of 2022..

latest update says it will be end of August before the case is reviewed and it keeps changing to later and later dates..Very frustrating to say the least , it's going  on 8 months since we filed..

Can I file for a CR-1 if were to get married in her country? (Philippines) Just trying to find a quicker way to start our lives together..Any advice would be appreciated ..

Hey gregorywayne we hav a May of 2022  I129F  K1 filers thread here on visajourney. were all in the same boat at the same time so if yur interested jump on over an say hello.. 

Edited by Roy an Panitta

• 9 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are looking for the fastest way to be together in the USA, keep with the K1. Idk why anyone would advise otherwise or for that matter suggest the CR1 is better/faster/even close to the same speed - IT IS NOT. Just browse around the forums here, FB and other places then you will see there are CR1 4-5 years in the process, which you're mostly never going to find with the K1. Every situation is different so take these as my opinions, but my fiance and I were faced with this same choice 1 1/2 years ago and I'm very glad we chose the K1 route. 

On the waiting portion, just focus on WHY you started the process, STAY POSITIVE, and when you start feeling crazy waiting, talk through it or find something to take your mind off of it. I found that it was helpful to just forget about it for months at a time and focus on laughing with my girl from afar. But whatever you do, try not to let doubts/worry/negative creep in. 

At 8 months in you're still about half way or less into the journey. It will be another 8 months or so before you get NOA2, pass through NVC and schedule the Medical and Visa interview. Medical is a hurdle in and of itself to pass through as 1 in 7 patients are pinged for Sputum and need at minimum 2 months to wait those results, and more for treatment if Sputum samples come back positive. After the interview you will wait again to get the passport back, and only after that the last interview can be scheduled which is CFO. CFO is required to leave the Pi with a K1. 

Stay strong, stay positive and remember why you started this journey. 

LIFE IS SHORT AND TIME GOES BY FAST - so too will these processes once they are complete. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. Please check the date of a thread before replying~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.