VCFA2018

Illegal alien and registered to vote by accident!!!

13 posts in this topic

Hi, please don't  judge me. It was a stupid honest mistake. Back when I was 22  i was  approached by a guy in college  and he asked me some questions.. its been more than 15 years ago (hard to remember what he asked/I dint paid attention to his questions).... back then I thought it was a poll questions regarding the college I was attending (that night it was cold, and windy and  I was extremely exhausted and sleepy). All I remember that  some of the questions  were regarding my name, DOB, and address.... so, it turned out that he was filling out a voting registration form for me.  I  never never voted.... I did reached out the the county clerk and got everything cancelled.  

Currently, I'm a DACA recipient and I just got married to a US citizen. we want to file for the green card but I don't know if I should do it because of this stupid mistake.  Did anyone went thru something similar?

thank you all 

Edited by VCFA2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do you have a copy from the clerk? 

File your AOS 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

19 minutes ago, VCFA2018 said:

Hi,

Yes, I do have a copy of the cancelation. 

That should help. A sensible officer should understand that was a genuine mistake.

However, you need to make sure you never identified yourself as a USC when getting a job etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Sadly, this is a common issue that nobody knows how it works in the US that a selected few are only allowed to vote.

The cancel vote paper should be good - I'd think that would. I did read upon and told my Husband not to sign up nor accidentally sign up to vote, and to watch out for those 'fine prints'. More like a lecture a several times though because I'm dead serious! Lol.

But truth be told, everyone I spoke to around me did not know this either. But they did not seem to care. It's a sad situation here in the US.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

1 hour ago, WaterLeaf said:

Sadly, this is a common issue that nobody knows how it works in the US that a selected few are only allowed to vote.

The cancel vote paper should be good - I'd think that would. I did read upon and told my Husband not to sign up nor accidentally sign up to vote, and to watch out for those 'fine prints'. More like a lecture a several times though because I'm dead serious! Lol.

But truth be told, everyone I spoke to around me did not know this either. But they did not seem to care. It's a sad situation here in the US.

What do you mean that a select few are only allowed to vote?   Nearly all US citizens can vote.

For the OP:  

@pushbrk

Edited by Jorgedig

1 hour ago, WaterLeaf said:

I think majority of countries work that way, e.g. only citizens can vote. Can you give examples of countries where anybody can vote? Or at least permanent residents?

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

What do you mean that a select fee are only allowed to vote?   Nearly all US citizens can vote.

For the OP:  

@pushbrk

The way I understood @WaterLeaf's reply is the sentiment that "sadly" only US citizens can vote and non-citizens cannot. I think this is pretty normal for most of the world? 

Just now, OldUser said:

The way I understood @WaterLeaf's reply is the sentiment that "sadly" only US citizens can vote and non-citizens cannot. I think this is pretty normal for most of the world? 

Well, in that case, yes.   I am not aware of any countries that allow non-citizens to vote.   Would be interested to know which ones do.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
59 minutes ago, OldUser said:

The way I understood it was that it's sad so few are aware that only US Citizens are allowed to vote in US Elections.  It's certainly true that many do not know this.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The way I understood it was that it's sad so few are aware that only US Citizens are allowed to vote in US Elections.  It's certainly true that many do not know this.  

Agreed, it's sad.

It's kind of general, almost universal knowledge in many countries of the world. I cannot go as a tourist to Australia and expect to vote in General Elections there, since I am not a citizen there. Even if I lived there since I was 5, but wasn't born or naturalized there...

It's like having to explain you cannot legally drive a car in the US without getting a driver license first. One would think it's common sense.

Oh well...

I guess US could do more effort explaining to everybody who can vote and who cannot. 

Edited by OldUser

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
On 12/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, OldUser said:

Mostly, but...

You'd be surprised how many election fraud goes on. Death of family voting, more than 1 voting per person, and even voters at the voting poll does not know who is not a Naturalized Citizen doing votes. People get confused. Some don't realize some who have a felony also lost their ability to vote as well, so yes US Citizen can lose their voting rights... and er, more. By all means, I'm not a fan of political stuff. I just have to keep an eye out on things that are needed to be known.

However, those of a US Citizen had lost their ability to vote may get their voting rights back if they apply under circumstances.

References:
https://www.usa.gov/who-can-vote
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/policy-manual-updates/20210527-VoterRegistration.pdf
https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/new-us-citizens#
https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-f-chapter-5 Section M.

On the salty side, many US Citizen does not go out to vote as they decided it was not worth it.
Not to cause any confusion - sorry.

Edited by WaterLeaf
last min add-on. yay.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.