breadlover408

RFE...but I already submitted the docs (merged)

21 posts in this topic

Arghhh so like some, I received an RFE asking to:

1. submit marriage certificate (I sent a photocopy of my marriage certificate in the initial i-485). Should I send in an original as I have 3 copies.

2. Evidence of marital life from Feb 16 until present.

Regarding point (2), I submitted out lease, utility bills with our names, pictures of our wedding, pictures with family, medical insurance.

One of the points asking of "sworn affidavits from others with personal knowledge of validity of the marriage". Has anyone done this?

When I submitted the i-485, I made a very clear initial list of all the evidence I printed and filed in a folder for them, all neatly in order.

I have another question in the fact that I am in the midst of moving address too. Should I mention this in the RFE (but of course updating it on the official site as well?).
I have our old lease and this new lease. Should I submit both?

(I could not edit original post) but would like to be more clear on what I added in the first round:

- Our wedding photos (we did not have a wedding party yet because we were to visit my country to do a Chinese one after the visa)

- Wedding related bills - bookings, wedding photography invoices, ring receipts

- Lease of the place we are renting

- PG&E in both of our names

- Medical insurance (I am under my husband's medical insurance)

- Joint insurance for our rented place

- Receipts of purchases in both of our names to our address

- Some photos of us with family and friends

What I did not add was a joint bank account, which I only did after I submitted the documents. I will add this.
And I am pregnant now and I guess I can add this too?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, breadlover408 said:

1. submit marriage certificate (I sent a photocopy of my marriage certificate in the initial i-485). Should I send in an original as I have 3 copies.

Never send an original!!! Those letters they sent are generic so it seems like they just click a couple boxes and end up asking for documents you’ve already sent. Send them again. 

One of the points asking of "sworn affidavits from others with personal knowledge of validity of the marriage". Has anyone done this?

They don’t require you to submit these; it’s just a suggestion among other evidence and yes, plenty of people send them. They’re considered secondary evidence tho. 

have our old lease and this new lease. Should I submit both?

Of course!

1 hour ago, breadlover408 said:

(I could not edit original post) but would like to be more clear on what I added in the first round:

- Our wedding photos (we did not have a wedding party yet because we were to visit my country to do a Chinese one after the visa)

- Wedding related bills - bookings, wedding photography invoices, ring receipts

- Lease of the place we are renting

- PG&E in both of our names

- Medical insurance (I am under my husband's medical insurance)

- Joint insurance for our rented place

- Receipts of purchases in both of our names to our address

- Some photos of us with family and friends

What I did not add was a joint bank account, which I only did after I submitted the documents. I will add this.
And I am pregnant now and I guess I can add this too?

joint taxes?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

48 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Never send an original!!! Those letters they sent are generic so it seems like they just click a couple boxes and end up asking for documents you’ve already sent. Send them again. 

They don’t require you to submit these; it’s just a suggestion among other evidence and yes, plenty of people send them. They’re considered secondary evidence tho. 

Of course!

joint taxes?

I am unsure about this joint taxes thing. I don’t have a SSN number yet. Do we get joint taxes only if we get a SSN?

How can I get this info? Was it when he submitted taxes for this year?
I don't remember if he added me in his tax returns because I think it was around April and we only submitted AOS and weren't sure if I was qualified to be added in yet?
I will ask.

I received nothing for EAD and travel as well...so I am not working?

I only got married in Feb and submitted AOS around end of Feb, biometrics in April.

Edited by breadlover408
Added info

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
6 hours ago, breadlover408 said:

I am unsure about this joint taxes thing. I don’t have a SSN number yet. Do we get joint taxes only if we get a SSN?

Yes. 

But what I would do (since joint taxes is good evidence) is to write a very simple note on the cover letter explaining why you haven't filed joint taxes yet. 

Also congrats on your pregnancy and yes, definitely add proof of that.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

As far as evidence goes, you won't have any joint tax returns yet. You only got married this year & 2022 taxes aren't filed until Jan 2023 at the earliest. 

You do need to chase up your EAD with USCIS - per your timeline.

SSA should have issued you a number/card - if you completed the part of the I-765 asking them to. It would arrive about the same time as your EAD card. 

Since you're eligible for a SSN you can't get an ITIN - HRBlock suggested otherwise when I was in your boat. 

event.png

18 hours ago, breadlover408 said:

Arghhh so like some, I received an RFE asking to:

2. Evidence of marital life from Feb 16 until present.

Regarding point (2), I submitted out lease, utility bills with our names, pictures of our wedding, pictures with family, medical insurance.

When I submitted the i-485, I made a very clear initial list of all the evidence I printed and filed in a folder for them, all neatly in order.

I have another question in the fact that I am in the midst of moving address too. Should I mention this in the RFE (but of course updating it on the official site as well?).
I have our old lease and this new lease. Should I submit both?

You’re in a rough spot between wedding and SS number

They like to see:

Marriage proof

Joint residence (lease, drivers license, “official” mail addressed to both of you)

Joint banking

Joint credit

Joint taxes

Joint insurance (usually auto and life and health)

Spouse named as beneficiary on retirement, life insurance

Joint bills (utility, cell, etc)

Many of these require SS number

So build the same package again starting with wedding/marriage

Cover letter listing attachments

Add to cover letter explaining the items pending social security number (bank, credit cards, being added as beneficiary to retirement and life insurance)

Marriage certificate (COPY)

4-5 wedding photos

1-2 sworn affidavits from someone who attended the wedding and who knows about and can describe your wedding, where you live together, and your relationship

Your leases (both)

Joint health insurance

Joint bills, any and any bills that come to you and your spouse separately with the same address

Joint cell account if you have one

Evidence that the two of you are expecting is a good idea, we brought it to our AOS interview and they added it to the pile. 

If there is anything not listed that is on the “like to see” list then add it.  Suggestion is to rebuild the whole package even though most of what is listed is already sent.  We empathize.  I remember those days.

Best of luck

Edited by iwannaplay54

15 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Yes. 

But what I would do (since joint taxes is good evidence) is to write a very simple note on the cover letter explaining why you haven't filed joint taxes yet. 

Also congrats on your pregnancy and yes, definitely add proof of that.

Thank you for this.

I will do this :)

13 hours ago, Ischnura said:

As far as evidence goes, you won't have any joint tax returns yet. You only got married this year & 2022 taxes aren't filed until Jan 2023 at the earliest. 

You do need to chase up your EAD with USCIS - per your timeline.

SSA should have issued you a number/card - if you completed the part of the I-765 asking them to. It would arrive about the same time as your EAD card. 

Since you're eligible for a SSN you can't get an ITIN - HRBlock suggested otherwise when I was in your boat. 

I've just checked online and yes you are right, my EAD has been way delayed. I took biometrics in April. 
I just assumed they would issue it together after the i-485. Perhaps not. 
Will chase the on it tomorrow.

And yes, I did notify on the forms where applicable that I needed a SSN number.

6 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

You’re in a rough spot between wedding and SS number

They like to see:

Marriage proof

Joint residence (lease, drivers license, “official” mail addressed to both of you)

Joint banking

Joint credit

Joint taxes

Joint insurance (usually auto and life and health)

Spouse named as beneficiary on retirement, life insurance

Joint bills (utility, cell, etc)

Many of these require SS number

So build the same package again starting with wedding/marriage

Cover letter listing attachments

Add to cover letter explaining the items pending social security number (bank, credit cards, being added as beneficiary to retirement and life insurance)

Marriage certificate (COPY)

4-5 wedding photos

1-2 sworn affidavits from someone who attended the wedding and who knows about and can describe your wedding, where you live together, and your relationship

Your leases (both)

Joint health insurance

Joint bills, any and any bills that come to you and your spouse separately with the same address

Joint cell account if you have one

Evidence that the two of you are expecting is a good idea, we brought it to our AOS interview and they added it to the pile. 

If there is anything not listed that is on the “like to see” list then add it.  Suggestion is to rebuild the whole package even though most of what is listed is already sent.  We empathize.  I remember those days.

Best of luck

Thanks for this!

But i guess there's definitely a lot of things I could not do without the SSN. 

Will write those letters explaining situations without SSN. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

So in summary: I got a RFE for my K1 AOS to show marital evidence since my wedding date, and one of the points they add was to add some sworn affidavits from friends and family.
I understand that this is not as strong as the other evidence, but I would just like to add this regardless.

I have searched this forum, but there were 1 or 2 threads about it but not really solid.

I would like to ask:

1. Does the family member or friend HAVE to have had attended the wedding? 
I did not have a wedding party, only the ceremony during Covid where 2 people were allowed (spouse's parents came only). But I did meet up with spouse's cousin after that for a photoshoot. 
(I was going to have a wedding party in my country after approval of visa.)
Was thinking of asking cousin because spouse's parents first language is not English and it will be easier with cousin.

We were also going to ask my spouse's friend who knows we got married but only met a couple of times and have pics.
Again, no pics at wedding because I had no wedding party as of yet.

2. Do these have to be notarised?
I do not see any info that they have to be but I am unsure. Read in another thread that notaries don't notarize these sort of things.
I have attached an image of what is being stated on the RFE.

Thank you for any help and I hope my thread will be useful to others in the future too.

0.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. No

2. No. To your point though, a notary will notarize this time of document. But it is not necessary 

The affidavits should indicate citizenship and if not citizens, status inside USA 

I would not get affidavits from non citizens or relatives. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No and No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

47 minutes ago, breadlover408 said:

Hi everyone,

So in summary: I got a RFE for my K1 AOS to show marital evidence since my wedding date, and one of the points they add was to add some sworn affidavits from friends and family.
I understand that this is not as strong as the other evidence, but I would just like to add this regardless.

I have searched this forum, but there were 1 or 2 threads about it but not really solid.

I would like to ask:

1. Does the family member or friend HAVE to have had attended the wedding? 
I did not have a wedding party, only the ceremony during Covid where 2 people were allowed (spouse's parents came only). But I did meet up with spouse's cousin after that for a photoshoot. 
(I was going to have a wedding party in my country after approval of visa.)
Was thinking of asking cousin because spouse's parents first language is not English and it will be easier with cousin.

We were also going to ask my spouse's friend who knows we got married but only met a couple of times and have pics.
Again, no pics at wedding because I had no wedding party as of yet.

2. Do these have to be notarised?
I do not see any info that they have to be but I am unsure. Read in another thread that notaries don't notarize these sort of things.
I have attached an image of what is being stated on the RFE.

Thank you for any help and I hope my thread will be useful to others in the future too.

0.jpg

Unusual to get an RFE for K-1 AOS….

• Ontarkie changed the title to RFE...but I already submitted the docs (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Please do not start more than one thread for the same or related topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.