david221g

Updating Social Security Records

29 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I got my US citizenship 2 weeks ago and received my naturalization certificate.

A few days later I sent the naturalization certificate with my application for a US passport.

I read that I need to update the SSA of me becoming a citizen:

1. Can I do this online? Do I have to physically go there?

2. Do I have to wait for my naturalization certificate to be sent back to me or can I show a copy of it to the SSA? (I didnt make any certified copies before)

0. Congratulations on becoming a citizen!

1. Go and do it in person. You can do it by mail, but I wouldn't mail my original docs to SSA (what if they get lost).

2. Yes, wait for your passport / certificate as you need to show it as a proof of your US citizenship

More info:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/new-us-citizens

Edited by OldUser

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

0. Congratulations on becoming a citizen!

1. Go and do it in person. You can do it by mail, but I wouldn't mail my original docs to SSA (what if they get lost).

2. Yes, wait for your passport / certificate as you need to show it as a proof of your US citizenship

More info:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/new-us-citizens

Thank you!

I believe the wait time for my passport is 8-10 weeks.
Are there any issues with waiting this time frame before updating the SSA?

3 minutes ago, david221g said:

Thank you!

No, you shouldn't have issues but do it soon after receiving your passport and certificate of naturalization.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
42 minutes ago, david221g said:

Thank you!

No issues even if you update it after several months or years unless you are applying for something that rely on SSA for your citizenship status.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 hours ago, david221g said:

Hi All,

I got my US citizenship 2 weeks ago and received my naturalization certificate.

A few days later I sent the naturalization certificate with my application for a US passport.

I read that I need to update the SSA of me becoming a citizen:

1. Can I do this online? Do I have to physically go there?

2. Do I have to wait for my naturalization certificate to be sent back to me or can I show a copy of it to the SSA? (I didnt make any certified copies before)

Does your SSA have any limits, like "work with DHS authorization only" or similar?

If it is a "clean" SSN card, then there is no real rush for you to update it right away.  Make an appointment at your local SSA office when you get your certificate back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

May I ask what's the reason for updating SSA records? I became US citizen over 20 years ago and never updated SSA records. 

This is my speculation:

The problem is that there at least 4 databases that track your citizenship status and none are the single source of truth (which is a major design flaw but that’s the situation).

* USCIS  has 2  databases: SAVE and database of aliens who have obtained  benefits from USCIS.  State DMVs and social security work with SAVE.  SAVE has more entries than the alien benefits days are because people born in the USA or who have CRBAs normally would not be in the alien benefits database. 

* SSA keeps a database 

* The State department keeps a database

It appears the SAVE database requires both USCIS and SSA to confirm updates. Makes  sense since most U.S. citizens have birth certificates 

Consequences:

1. If you claim to be a U.S. citizen on I-9 and your employer uses e-verify, e-verify might fail and eventually you might be terminated.  

2. If you claim to be a U.S. citizen when applying for a drivers license or state ID, SAVE might fail and your document might be delayed or denied.  Some states will accept an original naturalization certificate in this situation and some of those states won’t accept a passport or passport card. 

3. if you apply for social security benefits, a discrepancy between your claimed status and what SSA thinks your status is could delay benefits, especially if you plan to live outside the U.S.

4. This is no speculation: If you need to replace your social security card, in most states U.S. citizens can do this online. For the part 3 years when SSA closed field operations, that was nice option for people who had all their documents stolen.  

Edited by Mike E

Thank you all.

12 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

12 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Does your SSA have any limits, like "work with DHS authorization only" or similar?

If it is a "clean" SSN card, then there is no real rush for you to update it right away.  Make an appointment at your local SSA office when you get your certificate back.

Yes. It says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". I entered the US via K1 (fiance) visa and got my SSN a few days after entering the US.

Since then I received my conditional green, and a few weeks ago, my citizenship.

I am employed and according to my employer my status is a gc holder ("lawful permanent resident").
My goal is to receive my passport, then visit SSA and update them.

Once that's over I can go back to my employer and claim I'm a USC so if they verify, the records would align with my status.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
17 hours ago, david221g said:

My goal is to receive my passport, then visit SSA and update them.

Not just update but ask for the replacement card as well. You'll get it without any DHS notations.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 12/1/2022 at 12:42 PM, arken said:

Not just update but ask for the replacement card as well. You'll get it without any DHS notations.

When I went to the SSA to update, they said there is no need to issue a new card (mine had restrictions removed after green card). Said that my citizenship status is updated in their database and just gave me piece of paper stating the same. I wasn't convinced as and wanted to speak to a supervisor. The guy was very nice and said the same thing - no need for a replacement card if you are just updating citizenship status. So, I let it be.

FYI, there is a limit on how many replacement cards you can get for the same SSN. Max three in a year and 10 in a lifetime. I am on my 3rd or 4th card, I think.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, bzbee said:

update, they said there is no need to issue a new card (mine had restrictions removed after green card). Said that my citizenship status is updated in their database and just gave me piece of paper stating the same

It’s true. 

Some people prefer this because then your ssn is not sent through usps non secure mail.  

I do not like it. I was happy to have my crisp new card and it doesn’t count toward the lifetime maximum of 10 replacement cards (

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205400

). And there have been so many security breaches that most social security numbers are traded on illegal markets any way.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you are looking to update social security records after naturalization, and want to avoid the risk of losing your naturalization certificate or US passport, another option ( which I have used) is to use the passport card ( which I applied for with my passport) to send as my original citizenship record to SSA. This was accepted and I got my new SSN card with 10 -14 days. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.