steve-phuket

is it necessary to work on green card to get citizenship?

17 posts in this topic

my wife just got employment authorization, hopefully green card soon. she'd like to get citizenship ASAP. is it usually necessary to have a work/tax/SS history in the US to get citizenship? i ask because we're retired and not working, but maybe she should do some work if it helps the citizenship process.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Work history is irrelevant to the naturalization process.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, steve-phuket said:

what about time in the USA? suppose we are here for about 7 months a year and travel for about 5, would that negatively impact naturalization?

No.  However you two should jointly file tax returns whether you have enough taxable income or not.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
6 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

she'd like to get citizenship ASAP. is it usually necessary to have a work/tax/SS history in the US to get citizenship?

No need to work during the 3 years of residency before filing for naturalization. 

Assuming you file a 3 year n400 application…

You need to show that LPR has filed and paid taxes so joint tax filing for each year no matter how much income, joint tax returns with spouse would be best.

You will need to show that the green card holder resides with the US citizen spouse for the whole three years after getting the green card, you must live together for the whole three years. 

You will need to show the US citizen spouse has been a US citizen for the whole 3 years before filing.

You will need to not be out of the USA for more than 180 days on any one trip out of the USA.

You will need to show that the green card holder has been in the USA for more than 18 months over the past 36 months (more than 50% of the time over the last 3 years).

You will need to live at the home address 90 days before filing your n400

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

9 hours ago, da95826 said:

No need to work during the 3 years of residency before filing for naturalization. 

Assuming you file a 3 year n400 application…

You need to show that LPR has filed and paid taxes so joint tax filing for each year no matter how much income, joint tax returns with spouse would be best.

You will need to show that the green card holder resides with the US citizen spouse for the whole three years after getting the green card, you must live together for the whole three years. 

You will need to show the US citizen spouse has been a US citizen for the whole 3 years before filing.

You will need to not be out of the USA for more than 180 days on any one trip out of the USA.

You will need to show that the green card holder has been in the USA for more than 18 months over the past 36 months (more than 50% of the time over the last 3 years).

You will need to live at the home address 90 days before filing your n400

great info, thanks for that.

at this point i'm thinking we just stay retired, living in the US for most of the time with a couple of quick trips abroad for a couple of months each. then apply for n400 in 3 years. i think when my wife is US citizen she would automatically receive my SS survivor benefit so no need for her to do her own SS.

14 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

i think when my wife is US citizen she would automatically receive my SS survivor benefit so no need for her to do her own SS.

How old is she?

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

How old is she?

That is an excellent question.  Most people don't realize that a non-working foreign spouse can receive Social Security retirement benefits ($$$) based on the US spouse's work record at age 62+.  Then, when the foreign spouse turns 65, he/she can qualify for premium-free Medicare (after having LPR status for 5 years).

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is an excellent question.  Most people don't realize that a non-working foreign spouse can receive Social Security retirement benefits ($$$) based on the US spouse's work record at age 62+.  Then, when the foreign spouse turns 65, he/she can qualify for premium-free Medicare.

Yes. Its good news. My husband had 40 quarters even though we hadn't been LPR for 5 years ( this time)..  due to previous work visa then AOS from that. We then moved back to Australia for 25 years. When we left the US, he had 36 quarters SS   After returning to the US, he worked and get over the 40 quarter threshold .. he was then  able  to get Medicare part A  and B.. took SS benefits at 70 ( we chose to delay) and i also am on Medicare A and B and get Medicare  spouse benefits .. i only have  26 quarters  We have since both naturalized but our Medicare and SS benefit applications were all done while LPR of 3-4 years not over the 5 listed . We both came in September 2016 on IR5 

Edited by Lil bear

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is an excellent question.  Most people don't realize that a non-working foreign spouse can receive Social Security retirement benefits ($$$) based on the US spouse's work record at age 62+.  Then, when the foreign spouse turns 65, he/she can qualify for premium-free Medicare.

i'm 63, my wife is 53, i stated taking SS at 62. good to know she'll be eligible in 9 years.

Timeline

7 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

i'm 63, my wife is 53, i stated taking SS at 62. good to know she'll be eligible in 9 years.

My wife just turned 65.  She has zero work credit quarters, but she receives monthly SS retirement benefits based on my work record, and she has Medicare Part A & Part B.  In fact, her SS was approved in 6 days!.  We discussed it here a few months ago.  I list the sources for my research in my thread below:

Medicare for Immigrants - General Immigration-Related Discussion - VisaJourney

Edited by Crazy Cat

25 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

My wife just turned 65.  She has zero work credit quarters, but she receives monthly SS retirement benefits based on my work record, and she has Medicare Part A & Part B.  In fact, her SS was approved in 6 days!.  We discussed it here a few months ago.  I list the sources for my research in my thread below:

is she now USC or still on greencard? i didn't realize she could get SS while you were still alive. this is all great news. thanks

Timeline
1 hour ago, steve-phuket said:

is she now USC or still on greencard? i didn't realize she could get SS while you were still alive. this is all great news. thanks

She has a green card.  She will interview for citizenship in about 3 weeks.  Yes, a non-working spouse (foreign or otherwise) can receive monthly Social Security spousal retirement benefits based on the US spouse work record.  It does not affect the US spouse's retirement benefits at all.  As I said earlier, Most people don't realize that a non-working foreign spouse can receive Social Security retirement benefits ($$$) based on the US spouse's work record at age 62+.   That's why I created that linked thread after my research.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
2 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

at this point i'm thinking we just stay retired, living in the US for most of the time with a couple of quick trips abroad for a couple of months each.

Just keep track of the dates you departed the USA and return dates you will need them for the n400 application when filed. 

Collect evidence that you live together as a married couple for the 3 year period.

File joint tax returns regardless of income even if you don’t owe taxes.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

SSA changed retirement years a couple of decades ago.  If she is 53 now, her retirement age is 67.  Those who are currently in their 40s, their retirement age is 72.  When you get your report from Social Security, it will tell you. 

Why Did the Full Retirement Age Change?

Full retirement age, also called "normal retirement age," was 65 for many years. In 1983, Congress passed a law to gradually raise the age because people are living longer and are generally healthier in older age.

The law raised the full retirement age beginning with people born in 1938 or later. The retirement age gradually increases by a few months for every birth year, until it reaches 67 for people born in 1960 and later.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.