the VISA blues

Bringing Mother-In-Law

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi All,

Just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child. Our oldest will be 2 next month.

My wife is from Vietnam, and is a citizen. She wants to bring her mother over to help with the children. 

Her mother suggested my wife and son should go there so she (and rest of family) can take care of her, but I don't like the idea of the baby being born there. Not to mention

my son being there and not learning (or hearing) English for a period of time. Wouldn't there be a huge hassle to get the baby back to the USA?

Need some guidance/suggestions please.

28 minutes ago, the VISA blues said:

Hi All,

Just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child. Our oldest will be 2 next month.

My wife is from Vietnam, and is a citizen. She wants to bring her mother over to help with the children. 

Her mother suggested my wife and son should go there so she (and rest of family) can take care of her, but I don't like the idea of the baby being born there. Not to mention

my son being there and not learning (or hearing) English for a period of time. Wouldn't there be a huge hassle to get the baby back to the USA?

There is no “helping with the children” visa.   If your MIL doesn’t already have a visitor visa, she’s free to apply.  

She can petition her mom for an immigrant visa if and when she becomes a US citizen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I second @Jorgedig

You cannot bring you mother in law here to "help" with the children. That would be considered working and that is a big no-no (illegal) on a visitor visa. 

2 hours ago, the VISA blues said:

Hi All,

This sounds more like a family decision issue than a visa issue. Your MIL clearly does not want to uproot her life to come and look after the newborn and that’s her prerogative. You don’t want your wife and son to go for an indeterminate amount of time to Vietnam - also a completely understandable position. Maybe your option is to hire a nanny full or part time to help for a bit if you need extra help with the new baby and want everyone to stay in the US. 

Btw: if the baby is born either to a USC (you or your wife) who can pass on citizenship or to a lpr who brings him/her back on their first return to US before the baby turns 2, no there is no hassle bringing the baby back. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

This sounds more like a family decision issue than a visa issue. Your MIL clearly does not want to uproot her life to come and look after the newborn and that’s her prerogative. You don’t want your wife and son to go for an indeterminate amount of time to Vietnam - also a completely understandable position. Maybe your option is to hire a nanny full or part time to help for a bit if you need extra help with the new baby and want everyone to stay in the US. 

Btw: if the baby is born either to a USC (you or your wife) who can pass on citizenship or to a lpr who brings him/her back on their first return to US before the baby turns 2, no there is no hassle bringing the baby back

Except for the need to do CRBA to get the newborn a US passport if they are born outside the US.  Otherwise I agree, this is really a family decision, and even if the MIL has a valid B2, this is a no-no.  

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 hours ago, the VISA blues said:

She wants to bring her mother over to help with the children.

She can't do that on a B1 B2 visa.

If baby is outside of the USA, filing a CRBA would be the best path in terms of citizenship.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

It seems like your wife is a citizen, she can petition to bring her mom over then she can help with kids.

otherwise mom can apply for a visitor visa to come visit grandkids but won’t officially be able to “help”. 

Last option, your wife could travel to Vietnam AFTER the baby is born and has a passport etc. and get help with the kids. From an educational standpoint a baby that young won’t be impacted by not hearing English, the two year old can be engaged with games books etc.

Those are my suggestions - as others said it seems like you need to decide this with your family. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.