HSJB

Bringing a dependant Sibling

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am a US citizen residing in the US but neither of my parents or my sibling are citizens. I have a brother who has down syndrome and needs to live with a relative. I know the process for bringing siblings is very long and I need to show he will be able to work or something. Is there a special case if I am the only care taker possible for my brother and he needs to live with me? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He does not need to show that he can work, you need to show you can support him.

And yes it takes a long time, when did you file?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No special case. You can file for your sibling and then closer to year when visa interview could be scheduled file for parents so they can all get visas and move together. Will take more than 16 years.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. I am starting the process only now unfortunately. Will he be eligible for nonimmigrant visa while waiting these 16 years so he can at least visit me? I saw on the website that he may not be eligible for nonimmigrant visa if he has a pending immigrant visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It looks s likely to be much longer than 16 years and assuming he has a Visitor Visa he can visit

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rana11 said:

Thank you for your reply. I am starting the process only now unfortunately. Will he be eligible for nonimmigrant visa while waiting these 16 years so he can at least visit me? I saw on the website that he may not be eligible for nonimmigrant visa if he has a pending immigrant visa. 

so sorry for the situation but brother would need to show he has a job,  owns property and will return to Moroc

We, too,  have a handicapped brother in moroc with the notice of disability on national ID

chances he would have a job are slim to none

or own property???  have parents put his name on their house or apartment if they own?

his chances for a tourist visa are very low but no harm in trying

do understand you can not bring him and adjust his status while he's here 

Quickest way is apply for parents

support them and help them become citizens and they can apply for their son/  this still would be several long years but the fastest way

look at the poverty guidelines and know how much this would cost to support everyone

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

so sorry for the situation but brother would need to show he has a job,  owns property and will return to Moroc

We, too,  have a handicapped brother in moroc with the notice of disability on national ID

chances he would have a job are slim to none

or own property???  have parents put his name on their house or apartment if they own?

his chances for a tourist visa are very low but no harm in trying

do understand you can not bring him and adjust his status while he's here 

support them and help them become citizens and they can apply for their son/  this still would be several long years but the fastest way

look at the poverty guidelines and know how much this would cost to support everyone

This was going to be my recommendation. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Parents don’t have to be citizens to apply for their son as long as he is single, they can apply with green cards. But if he is over 21, that’s around a 7 year wait so probably not useful.  Even if he’s under 21 it’s a couple of years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Parents don’t have to be citizens to apply for their son as long as he is single, they can apply with green cards. But if he is over 21, that’s around a 7 year wait so probably not useful.  Even if he’s under 21 it’s a couple of years.

we thought (at one time ) to apply for his mom and go that route but her diabetes was a stopper 

so, we applied for the brother and will "wait the wait"

we feel his disability -one arm shorter than the other- is not as big a disability here and he'll be able to work

In Morocco its hard for even a normal person to find work and a disabled one has almost no chance

waiting again for a long timeline seems to be what i do best

13 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

we thought (at one time ) to apply for his mom and go that route but her diabetes was a stopper 

so, we applied for the brother and will "wait the wait"

we feel his disability -one arm shorter than the other- is not as big a disability here and he'll be able to work

In Morocco its hard for even a normal person to find work and a disabled one has almost no chance

waiting again for a long timeline seems to be what i do best

Issue for OP is that if the brother requires full time care public charge might be an issue. 

5 hours ago, Rana11 said:

This is not true, however he will presumably have to travel with a relative so you’ll need both of them to get visas? Not sure how it works in terms of how they would assess overstay probability for someone with special needs. Would definitely make it worse from that perspective if you are claim you are the only relative he could live with of course.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Actually, the F2B route at 7 years would be a lot faster than F3 or F4 at 15-16+ years even factoring in the time to get the IR5’s.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Actually, the F2B route at 7 years would be a lot faster than F3 or F4 at 15-16+ years even factoring in the time to get the IR5’s.

Obviously.  F3 is not a relevant visa anyway by the sounds of things. But the point was it’s still not quick.

But if it is indeed true as stated in the original post that the only person who can care for him is the OP,  and they don’t have 7-9 years to wait, then the only way to make that work is for OP to return home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Obviously.  F3 is not a relevant visa anyway by the sounds of things. But the point was it’s still not quick.

But if it is indeed true as stated in the original post that the only person who can care for him is the OP,  and they don’t have 7-9 years to wait, then the only way to make that work is for OP to return home.

I only mentioned the F3 if the parents were to naturalize.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I only mentioned the F3 if the parents were to naturalize.

Doesn’t sound like the son is likely to get married given the description in the first post. F3 is for married children of USCs. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.