Ryan76

Big problem..family member needs medication

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
43 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Went thru this too 

customs in Ohio mailed the diabetes medication back even it had moroccan dr notes inside the package 

Wait??? Your package was destroyed after all that hustle? 🙆‍♂️

49 minutes ago, Ryan76 said:

Yes, currently looking at that, but I really need to hear from the SIL who is hopefully talking to her Dr to see if that's even an option.  Or I guess to see if it's a temporary solution 

You wife doesn't have/ know Colombians friends traveling to US anytime? I see Colombians traveling to Miami everyday. Hahaha. Surely, there is someone. 

Even if they're going to other states, they can help ship when they land. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 minute ago, Timona said:

You wife doesn't have/ know Colombians friends traveling to US anytime? I see Colombians traveling to Miami everyday. Hahaha. Surely, there is someone. 

ROTFL are you seriously suggesting asking someone coming from Colombia to Miami to carry drugs for someone else? Even if it’s prescription, it’s not their prescription. Do you ever watch border security?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Nor did I accuse you of that. I'm out.

I apologize, I misinterpreted that then , but regardless,  getting lost in the details of why my MIL is here is irrelevant to her current medical needs.  I do thank you for your time and input

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Nor did I accuse you of that. I'm out.

OP

led means u started out by saying that  not the same as "lied"

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Timona said:

can be a fine and / or jail time depending on the drug

https://www.shippingschool.com/usps-shipping-restrictions-full-list/

prescription medicine or drugs is listed on bottom for Restricted domestic items

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Timona said:

In our case ,  they mailed it back to Moroc to his aunt

but they told us on phone ,  they had the right to destroy it (fed ex) as it was not sent by a pharmacy with proper documentation showing they were allowed to mail 

Even if they're going to other states, they can help ship when they land.   really poor idea

Timeline
1 hour ago, Pinkrlion said:

Your MIL can go to a local Urgent Care and see an MD for a RX.  they can take the RX to a local pharmacy and use the Prescription coupons like Good RX, etc to pay for the medication.  It is not that expensive.  You will most likely be out of pocket no more than 200.00

Prevalite is powder to be used for chloresteral 

site has coupon for 75 % off at CVS, Walmart,  Kroger,  Walgreens

Timeline
1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

I assume you had to pay a separate fee for the doctor visit?

yes,  but lucked out as Atlanta has a big Arab community and they help each other 

$150 for the dr 

out of pocket for the blood work I think was around $50 but it was CBC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
32 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

ROTFL are you seriously suggesting asking someone coming from Colombia to Miami to carry drugs for someone else? Even if it’s prescription, it’s not their prescription. Do you ever watch border security?

I thought were were referring to cholesterol medicine here? It's not Marijuana or something heinous. And I did say a friend, not just regular person at the airport. 

The list below says it's under restricted category. Looking at that list, I also see nail polish etc. I'm sure someone has passed CBP with nail polish. 

And I'm 100% sure we carry stuff for our family members and friends whenever we go back home or come back to US. Of course, we don't and should never carry illegal stuff or items that are prohibited. Let's not castigated others for no reason at all. We all do this. I'm sure when you travel, you carry gifts etc. Isn't it not the same? Or is different when others do so? 

24 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

can be a fine and / or jail time depending on the drug

prescription medicine or drugs is listed on bottom for Restricted domestic items

Yap. I see that. It says restricted, not disallowed or something. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Update:  I am about to head home where I will attempt to get some more information, but apparently the SIL just spoke to the Dr.

She said that the Dr said the plan was for MIL to take the statin for 4 months, then when she returns home she needs blood work done again.  That seems odd to me, so a asked if the Dr knows she is now out of meds and won't be home until Dec 3, and she said yes.  So I don't know. Again, doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was just told. 

Look, I take Atorvastatin.  It's like $8 a month which I pay out of pocket since it doesn't meet my $15 copay.  I'm pretty sure most doctors would prescribe it based on little more than my word that I already take it.  Try urgent care or some quack doctor.  Call around.  It is NOT a controlled substance which means that although prescription, US Customs could care less if some small amount crosses the border in mail or in person.  I've been in Columbia where the army guys hand search your luggage.  They don't care about Atorvastatin.  It's not what they are looking for.  I've crossed borders all over the world hundreds of times with the stuff.  Customs anywhere it is a non issue.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not trying to stir things up and I do not know your MIL history, but the science is not backing up statins for most ppl. Google the truth about statins. I don't want to post links but if you want some specific, PM me. But Youtube has many cardiothoracic surgeons and other MDs they post the science too. Not just talking out of their you know what. Take a look at some of those and go from your MIL's medical history. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Ryan76 said:

Update:  I am about to head home where I will attempt to get some more information, but apparently the SIL just spoke to the Dr.

She said that the Dr said the plan was for MIL to take the statin for 4 months, then when she returns home she needs blood work done again.  That seems odd to me, so a asked if the Dr knows she is now out of meds and won't be home until Dec 3, and she said yes.  So I don't know. Again, doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what I was just told. 

I can totally see it.  Most people can manage their cholesterol in other ways.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Boiler said:

As an aside Travel Insurance would not cover this

Trip to the Doctor or trip to the Airport seem the choices.

I said that wrong, I didn't mean the typical travel insurance.  The way I understand it, there is short term medical insurance that travelers can buy, and it was something the SIL said they could do on their end (but never did).

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

I can totally see it.  Most people can manage their cholesterol in other ways.

Interesting.  I am certainly not an expert, but I've never heard of taking a statin for just 4 months and then stopping.  I am home now but I can't get any details yet.  My wife is nursing the baby and on the phone (working) and MIL is in her bedroom on the phone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.