Omar Doumbia

10 year green card and IR1 VISA [merged threads]

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hello everyone, I received IR1 VISA when my marriage wasn't two years old yet. I and my spouse got married on August 17 2020 in the USA cause I was here for an internship. I entered the USA on June 28 2022 it wasn't two years old yet but just a month and half away. Now I received my card and it's saying 10 years of validity. I'm asking if it's a mistake if so what should I do? Or what I have to do? Please share your thoughts, opinions, experiences...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from IR1/CR1 P&P - The OP is already in the US.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hello,

I was in the USA for a year and got married. Afterwards, I went back home and filed for Green card to come back to the USA and live permanently with my spouse. After the interview, I received IR1 but our marriage was just 18 months not 2 years old complete. I entered the USA a month before our 2 years anniversary and received a 10 year Green card. Now, I'm asking if I still need to file removal of conditions since it wasn't 2 years yet when I entered the USA?

Any experience, good advice would be a great help.

Thank you.

Edited by Omar Doumbia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Omar Doumbia said:

Hello,

I was in the USA for a year and got married. Afterwards, I went back home and filed for Green card to come back to the USA and live permanently with my spouse. After the interview, I received IR1 but our marriage was just 18 months not 2 years old complete. I entered the USA a month before our 2 years anniversary and received a 10 year Green card. Now, I'm asking if I still need to file removal of conditions since it wasn't 2 years yet when I entered the USA?

Thank you.

You incorrectly received the 10 yr card. File an I90 for a correct card (no fee as USCIS error) 

Keep copies of everything. Color photocopy of the front and back of the 10 yr card etc. 

When you reach the 90 days before 2 years after your entry, file for ROC even if the new correct card hasn’t been received yet 

You can’t skip ROC even though it was their error 😵‍💫

Timeline

But now I'm wondering why at the embassy they gave me IR1 visa even though they had all the required information and papers. Don't you it was because I was here before and the two years were very close. They've actually even reassigned the same SSN

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Omar Doumbia said:. Don't you it was because I was here before and the two years were very close. They've actually even reassigned the same SSN

1.  Began here before. .. nope does not  count

2 close to 2 years.. nope , no flexibility in the time 

3. Same SSN. Normal That is yours for life. Even if you never lived in the US again   

Assuming you have rechecked the visa category in your passport .. and it is IR1..  and you were not eligible for IR1 on the day of your interview or on the day of your entry into US… 

As the mistake was make by the consulate this is still an issue and i think a more challenging one to correct 

The warning is always to check

every detail on the visa foil when you get v the passport back as any error in that needs to be corrected by the consulate.   That is past now 

Your whole immigration history will be reviewed at naturalization if you do n that.  It will be picked up then .. and the time /energy  it will take to work through that will be significant 😵‍💫

you could start with an email to the Consulate . But they will likely say ours not their problem any more 

Timeline

Okay, so what do you suggest? Should I keep this card and file condition removal 90 days before or call right now the USCIS now? FYI I've been here for a year already.

Thank you for explanations.

• Chancy changed the title to 10 year green card and IR1 VISA [merged threads]
Timeline
On 9/18/2022 at 3:40 AM, Ontarkie said:

Yes, consequences at ROC and if you try for US Citizenship. It's just a big ball off trouble. Get it corrected now. It won't cost you as it is USCIS's mistake.

Problem is .. it is a DOS error .. the CBP officer matched the endorsement with the visa type.. the GC was made in accordance with the visa issued .. 

Got to find out who has authority to go back into the record created at the  interview and change it to CR1 

Filing an I 90 now will at least demonstrate OP attempts to correct it, even  if the I90 doesn’t work 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Omar Doumbia said:

Hello,

Thank you.

Ummmmm.  You asked this in September 2022. 12 months ago.. and still not done anything? This isn’t going to go away. Answer hasnt changed. 

Timeline

I'm going to call the USCIS and explain that to them and also write to them through my portal. Honestly, I don't know why I would be to be blamed since it's on them. If I were not being curious I wouldn't even notice the error.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.