Danmuji

Needing advice on filing N400 and I751 same time

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

Sorry as this question was likely has been covered.

We were given 10 year IR1 green card on 12/16/2019 and eligible for N-400 filing on 9/16 of this year. 7 years remaining on the green card.

Could someone please comment on if it's good idea/neccessary to file I-751 for 10 year green card holders? 

I thought I'd ask as it seems everyone is filing both(n400 + i751) at the same time.

Thank you.

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/01/2023 - Application sent to Tempe, AZ lockbox
  2. 12/06/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  4. 12/22/2023 - I-797C notice recieved giving access to 48 months extension letter online.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

The removal of conditions is only for the ones who have a 2 year card. So no need to file if a 10 year card was rightfully given.

Just now, Family said:

When did you get married? Asking to make sure card was not issued in error..as sometimes happens. 

October of 2016

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/01/2023 - Application sent to Tempe, AZ lockbox
  2. 12/06/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  4. 12/22/2023 - I-797C notice recieved giving access to 48 months extension letter online.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

please do a timeline on your profile 

then people can look at it and don't have to ask questions "like when u were married"

it is also important to others who follow in your footsteps to get information and see good solid stats 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, Danmuji said:

I thought I'd ask as it seems everyone is filing both(n400 + i751) at the same time.

This does not apply to you, but the I-751 and N400 cannot be filed at the same time.  The I-751 is for conditional residents with 2 yr greencards that need to remove conditions when their 2 year card is about to expire.

People can file the N400 under a 3yr rule if they stay married and live with their USC spouse. This is applied for at around the 3rd year of being a GC holder.

I believe you are referring to people who have combo I-751 and N400 interviews.  These people have been waiting over a year for their I-751 to be approved.  For example, some could get a combo interview 18 months after they submitted the I-751 and 6 months after they submitted the N-400.  But they never applied for both at the same time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
On 8/17/2022 at 6:48 AM, Danmuji said:

We were given 10 year IR1 green card on 12/16/2019 and eligible for N-400 filing on 9/16 of this year. 7 years remaining on the green card.

No need for i751 in your case. You never had conditions on your green card. You simply file for n400 when you are eligible. 

Eligibility for Naturalization:

Stayed in the USA for more than 50% of the time during the last 3 years more than 18 months total. Under a 3 year rule.

Stayed in the USA for more than 50% of the time during the last 5 years more than 30 months total. Under a 5 year rule.

Not been out of the USA for more than 180 days at any one time

Your spouse has been a citizen for 3 years or more along with the petitioner having a green card for 3 years both must be true to be eligible under the 3 year rule.

You must have lived at your home address for more than 90 days before you file an n400 application. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.