19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What's everyone's opinion on bringing a desktop PC (and an Oculus quest 2) on check in for EVA airlines MNL>TPE(4.5hr layover)>SFO? My PC is too heavy for carry on so my only option is check in, I'd rather not leave it behind. What are the chances of theft? And how much does the airline reimburse for missing items if it does get stolen/lost? TIA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Sorai833 said:

What's everyone's opinion on bringing a desktop PC (and an Oculus quest 2) on check in for EVA airlines MNL>TPE(4.5hr layover)>SFO? My PC is too heavy for carry on so my only option is check in, I'd rather not leave it behind. What are the chances of theft?

greater than 50 percent. 

damage is certain unless you are using the original packaging plus a layer around it.  

34 minutes ago, Sorai833 said:

And how much does the airline reimburse for missing items if it does get stolen/lost? TIA.

Airlines do not reimburse for valuable items. 

41 minutes ago, Sorai833 said:

What's everyone's opinion on bringing a desktop PC (and an Oculus quest 2) on check in for EVA airlines MNL>TPE(4.5hr layover)>SFO? My PC is too heavy for carry on so my only option is check in, I'd rather not leave it behind. What are the chances of theft? And how much does the airline reimburse for missing items if it does get stolen/lost? TIA.

I had my laptop stolen from my checked bag at either STL or ORD. When I got my bag back, there was no longer a laptop, but there was a courtesy note from TSA saying they’d opened my bag. You won’t get a penny back from the airline, you may do from insurance depending on your policy. 

Unless you don’t care about getting your computer back, I would not risk it. 

I'd say it's a very good chance of being lost or stolen. Desktops I'd almost always say just buy new in the US and start over. Laptops should be carried by hand and secured on your person at all times. My husband did bring a lot of electronic equipment with him like consoles and laptops. He specifically upgraded so that he could bring extra hand baggage on his person and bought additional electronic equipment travel insurance. Yes he'd have to remove it to be scanned, but it was better that than losing it.

Let's put it this way, I know some guys that lost 30k worth of electronic valuables the airline mysteriously lost. Unless you've got excellent insurance coverage specifically for electronics and the items are absolutely too bulky and you don't mind if it's lost or stolen... don't do it.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
4 hours ago, Sorai833 said:

It's not so much about losing the PC as it is about having the information on that PC get into the wrong hands. 

I'll be the contrarian and say yes, it can be done successfully. My husband did it twice with a gaming PC in 2020 (flights US > PH and PH > US). He carefully cushioned the PC parts in his clothes. Nothing broke or went missing. He's still using it today.

But with all the recent news about airlines losing luggage, I recommend using Apple AirTags so you can track where your stuff is (see https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/shopping/apple-airtag-checked-luggage-review)

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. My brother honestly brought his PC from US to PH (direct flight) a few years ago, it was in a box and no one touched it. Maybe we were lucky. Maybe boxes are better since they're harder to open when they're all taped up? I'm just very concerned about the layover. I'm thinking I'll just remove all the important/more expensive parts and put them in my carry on, and then risk the case+motherboard+psu in my check-in since I'll be fine if those get lost 😣

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
10 hours ago, MarJhi said:

It's not so much about losing the PC as it is about having the information on that PC get into the wrong hands. 

I have shipped computer To Colombia. I take them apart, and ship them in separate, shipments. This way, they are not in one piece, and useless. Also they are only listed as electronic parts.Never lost anything. 

One thing you could do is basically abandon the case which makes up most of the volume, or just put in a box and ship it to yourself, if it arrives great, if it gets lost, stolen or damaged, oh well. If you were to take out all the parts (motherboard, GPU, PSU, heatsink, drives, ram, fans if you got some nice ones) they'd fit in a carry-on. I did that previously while moving.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

We have taken a desktop PC in a carry-on before without any issues. There aren't usually weight requirements for carry-ons; did you mean it's oversized?

No there's a 7kg weight limit for carry-ons, it's the same for every flight I looked at and the one I ended up getting. There's usually a weight limit bc flight attendants need to be able to lift it up and put it above with no problem

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sorai833 said:

No there's a 7kg weight limit for carry-ons, it's the same for every flight I looked at and the one I ended up getting. There's usually a weight limit bc flight attendants need to be able to lift it up and put it above with no problem

This made me laugh hard :) 

The weight limit is not because of the flight attendants. It is so people don't take kitchen sink with them on the plane. 

Flight attendants are not allowed to lift carry on bags at all. Pay attention on your flight. They will not touch it unless they have to shuffle it inside of the overhead bin. 

47 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

This made me laugh hard :) 

I'd try some comedy specials on Netflix if I were you. Much funnier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.