2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ThisIsHell said:

Hi folks, just wanted to give an update

Interview 08/04, given DS-5535. No apparent reason, Canadian born without a history of international travel. Working in the finance sector for reputable employers. My wife (the petitioner) suspected it might be because she has an online presence as a conservative/republican, but who knows. I also suspect it might be because I've done a few back and forth to visit my wife in the U.S. over the last year. Could also be just random. 

On 08/04 and 08/05, my wife and I contacted the consulate. We reminded them that earlier this year, the consulate had approved our expedited interview request as my wife has a life-threatening condition. We sent the doctor's note again and waited. On 08/05, the consulate acknowledged the receipt of the DS 5535, but did not say anything else. 

Early last week, we sent a few physical letters in the mail specifically addressed to higher-ups in the consulate, and their IV processing division. The case updated on 08/05, 08/08 and 08/09 but still said refused.

On 08/10, the status updated to issued, and I received a tracking number that very day. On 08/11, I received my passport with the approved visa in it. 

All in all, we don't know whether it was our emails or our physical letters that generated a movement in our case, but we feel very blessed. We were in AP for 6 days which appears to be an anomaly, likely because of the petitioner's life-threatening condition. 

Our thoughts are with those that are still stuck in AP for no apparent reason. There's some case law arguing that family separation is a form of irreparable harm. I suggest perhaps trying to get in touch with the consulate's higher-ups and making a case for your current situation. Not sure if that's what helped us but it's worth a shot. 

Such wonderful news @ThisIsHell.  I am so happy for both of you.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, addpeace said:

Do you happen to have the information still of the higher ups that you contacted? 

Congratulations by the way I was sending positive thoughts your way as soon as I read your first post. 

We looked at the lawsuits that were filed against the Montreal consulate, and we contacted the parties that were sued as we believed they had some decisional power. This included the consul general and chief of mission. 

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, LAMA9 said:

That's amazing news @ohmygod!  You should likely wait until they request it back.  Did you end up filing a WOM?  If not, this could be good news for October DS-5535s @ice-qube!

Fingers crossed. Just requested for passport and next day got request for medical and police clearance along with courier instructions. So we thought of sending passports along with those documents. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, ThisIsHell said:

We looked at the lawsuits that were filed against the Montreal consulate, and we contacted the parties that were sued as we believed they had some decisional power. This included the consul general and chief of mission. 

Do you have specific email addresses and addresses you contacted? I am unable to find this information 

2 hours ago, HopefulMgee said:

So from what I’ve observed since 2021, it takes a MINIMUM of 10 months to see any form of movement on cases hit with DS 5535. And case status updates can occur during this time, but are meaningless. 

No. It can definitely take that long, but 10 months is absolutely not the minimum.

@Throwitaway1988 I haven’t heard of any approvals within this thread of cases hit with DS5535 since March without a WOM. We are just hearing about those interviewed in October seeing movement now… so that’s 10 months based on what I’ve read since the beginning of this year.  

Anyone hit with DS5535 that has observed movement and was processed less than 10 months please let us know. Thanks 😊 

Timeline

yea i dont think anyone here has had any movement from the October group without filling WOM.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Siarg said:

This link has names - Ana Escrogima is the consul general for Montreal, David Cohen is the US ambassador to Canada. Maybe they mailed it to the consulate?

Correct, we emailed the general montreal-IV address and we mailed the physical letters to the mailing address listed on the consulate's website while addressing them specifically to some of the names on that list. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

It will be 3 months end of this month that we mailed my husband's passport,  updated forms, medical,  police reports etc (everything they asked us to mail them by mail) and our case is still in AP/refused. I see the Last updated date updated once a week but status doesn't change.

We have been waiting for so long in our entire process that I even lost my mom in January (my co-sponsor) since I don't work in US.  Now my brother is my co-sponsor.

I just don't understand why it's taking so long...I'm really hoping we can move back to the US before the Canadian winter begins 

Timeline

i have a meeting with my congressperson on thursday. lets see how it goes. i will give him all the information i have and bring up whats ive noticed lately in terms of DS 5535. Not hopeful in how this will help, but worth a shot and i will try to ask for answers from him.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline
5 hours ago, BatmanFlow said:

i have a meeting with my congressperson on thursday. lets see how it goes. i will give him all the information i have and bring up whats ive noticed lately in terms of DS 5535. Not hopeful in how this will help, but worth a shot and i will try to ask for answers from him.

Good luck. I am still here stuck in AP hell. Coming close to 300 days with not enough spare cash laying around yet to file WOM. I am so frustrated.

To be honest with you i feel like front desk lady just made up excuse . She was not to sure about hep b . As she was going through my previous file she seems confuse. Dr was not there i feel like she want it to doctor first and then proceed ahead. I will call them again in afternoon to find status on it. Its just so painful procedure to do all over again. Where as i feel this should have been done in first time. After getting served it took them magically 10 days to clear all background checks & working on file. So what it tells me they just do this on purpose. Yes it is an expensive way to get what you deserve.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.