2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

How is it even possible. Why would the officer even tell them ya I am approving it, but then DS-5535 gets sent? I don't get it. This is absurdity. 

This makes me think I was flagged by their system since the officer seemed genuine. He asked me very few questions because my application was pretty straight forward. No prior marriages, no criminal history, Canadian born and raised, never travelled internationally... but for some reason, maybe just entirely randomly, the system flagged it. I'm just gutted honestly, I don't know if I have the fortitude to wait more months now. I'm already dreading the fact that I'll probably have to file for WoM

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SamuelR said:

This makes me think I was flagged by their system since the officer seemed genuine. He asked me very few questions because my application was pretty straight forward. No prior marriages, no criminal history, Canadian born and raised, never travelled internationally... but for some reason, maybe just entirely randomly, the system flagged it. I'm just gutted honestly, I don't know if I have the fortitude to wait more months now. I'm already dreading the fact that I'll probably have to file for WoM

Believe me, I can empathize well, at 283 days in AP, 280 days since I submitted DS-5535, and over 3 years in the entire immigration process and counting... I am right there with you.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ice-qube said:

How is it even possible. Why would the officer even tell them ya I am approving it, but then DS-5535 gets sent? I don't get it. This is absurdity. 

It’s happened many times before. Remember there was someone who even reached Final processing and had the visa stamped, and then had the DS-5535 issued.

It just confirms it is not a decision made by any person, but by a system.

3 hours ago, SamuelR said:

I went through exactly this.  Officer told my fiance everything looks good and as soon as we get medical, youll get visa.  Got home and boom ds5535 email.  Fiance is Canadian born, no marriages, no kids, no criminal history, etc.  

It took me a while to accept that I had to file a WoM.  Tried countly emails and got congressman involved.  I appreciate that lawyers have something to help, but the cost of a WoM should be half.  Its just so much money.  I understand love should have no price, but a person shouldnt go broke for it.  

Timeline
34 minutes ago, ideep29 said:

I went through exactly this.  Officer told my fiance everything looks good and as soon as we get medical, youll get visa.  Got home and boom ds5535 email.  Fiance is Canadian born, no marriages, no kids, no criminal history, etc.  

It took me a while to accept that I had to file a WoM.  Tried countly emails and got congressman involved.  I appreciate that lawyers have something to help, but the cost of a WoM should be half.  Its just so much money.  I understand love should have no price, but a person shouldnt go broke for it.  

This is exactly my thoughts. I have other stuff to pay. Oh sure, if i take all the money i have and throw more on top for the next few paycheques, I can "afford" WoM. Is that how life works? I don't have anything else to pay for?

Timeline
58 minutes ago, ideep29 said:

To really boil down what is happening, it is that lawyers are making out very well on this (everyone note: i don't blame lawyers for making money, all the power to them, and it is also why someone goes into a profession--to make money), but their premium is basically created by the failures of the government and its immigration system--which can be, I believe, very fairly described at this moment as 'broken', whether by design or not. If the government truly believes these cases in AP need to continue to be security vetted, they would not just give up and start processing the case as soon as they are informed a mandamus suit was filed. The very fact that simply filing these mandamus suits results in them more or less automatically restarting processing on those people's cases exposes the emptiness of the claim that they needed all this extra time to vet them. 

Right now there is a race to the bottom wherein people are filing WoM are getting their visas processed ahead of me because they can afford (or believe they can afford) to throw $5,000 USD at a lawyer to file a mandamus suit. Good on them for having the means, but this is a deeply perverse situation. I can throw down all the money I have without regard to any other costs I have on *other* expenses, such as having savings for rental down payments (in South Florida, for example, where rent has skyrocketed to even be more expensive than Toronto where I live now, they require 3 months rent, plus often security deposit in addition to that), money to purchase health care when moving there, student loan payments, whatever it is, I have a lot of costs. Or I can wait indefinitely. And that has me in a horrible, no-win situation. Absorbing costs monthly much different than taking all available savings and throwing it away in one shot.

Edited by ice-qube
correction

Just a question as i have been actively sending out emails to the white house congress senators and basically any government body I can. 

I came across the Inspector General page where it says this: 

If you have information about fraud, waste, abuse or mismanagement, as well as other crimes or violations of Federal laws, rules, and regulations, relating to U.S. Department of State (Department) or the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM) programs and operations, you may report it to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) Hotline. Such information includes allegations concerning contracts, grants, public corruption, conflict of interest, and other criminal or serious non-criminal misconduct involving employees, contractors/sub-contractors, and grantees/sub-grantees.

Essentially this is a mismanagement of our cases and the use of the DS5535. People are getting approved verbally but then sent this. I know it is most likely all an automated system thing but it would hurt to bring like the Montreal issue. 

Out of the 10 people in during my husbands interview time he heard/saw 1 approval. And 8 were given the white form. (I understand that some of these may be valid) but I just have a feeling a lot of this is similar to almost everyone’s situation here. It is unjust that we received these. 

I am wondering if a group of people were to file complaints against the Montreal US Consulate to the Inspector general, even those who have already filed WOM if that would get cases moving in this black hole backlog. 

i also understand I am very new here and don’t know what has or hasnt been done yet. 

Please let me know what everyone thinks and if you would like I can add the Inspector General link. 

Thanks! ☺️

Interview may18 Montreal  F4 visa

221 g given no documents required 

updated on may 26 jun 7 aug 3 

august 4 10:30 morning updated to ready

11:30 am updated to issued 

so i waited 78 days 

so what im trying to say is be patient but some cases here are very unreasonable wait like Ice-qube I really wish you all the best 😊

Ps 

i was lurking for a month on this site reading everyone’s comment trying to find good news 

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, ice-qube said:

This is exactly my thoughts. I have other stuff to pay. Oh sure, if i take all the money i have and throw more on top for the next few paycheques, I can "afford" WoM. Is that how life works? I don't have anything else to pay for?

How long do they take to send the passports after making the request?

1 hour ago, Vicky P said:

Interview may18 Montreal  F4 visa

221 g given no documents required 

updated on may 26 jun 7 aug 3 

august 4 10:30 morning updated to ready

11:30 am updated to issued 

so i waited 78 days 

so what im trying to say is be patient but some cases here are very unreasonable wait like Ice-qube I really wish you all the best 😊

Ps 

i was lurking for a month on this site reading everyone’s comment trying to find good news 

No 5535? If yours took 78 days for AP without extreme vetting that does not bode well for 5535 recipients.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, WishIWasntHere said:

We got a request for a new medical this morning!!!! Spouse interviewed on February 2nd, we filed a lawsuit on June 10th. I’m hoping my stay in this hell is coming to a close

That is great news!!! Fingers crossed for smooth process from here on out 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline

Has anyone here tried to bring this issue to the media?

I think those who have been waiting 60+ days should contact some reporters who specialize in immigration/homeland security as this could be quite a story. Hard to believe they are leaving people in the dark for months without any specified reason and separating them from their family. Could be worth a try to get things moving as the media has a lot of influence. 

https://www.nytimes.com/by/miriam-jordan

https://www.nytimes.com/by/eileen-sullivan

https://www.nytimes.com/by/dan-bilefsky

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.