tbdcitizen

N400 early filing (exact 90 days) issue, case stuck at "Scheduled for Interview" after Interview

18 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I filed my N400 exactly 90 days before my 5 year anniversary. My application was not submitted when I was with the officer because the system was showing missing 1 day. Read below for more details.

Anniversary date- 05/09/2022

N400 Filing date- 02/08/2022

The USCIS early filing calculator showed the earliest acceptance date as '02/08/2022'.

Also, I had verified using Naturalization eligibility tool from USCIS which showed I was eligible to file.
So I went ahead and filed my application that same day. Receipt/Notice dates all show the same date.

I was interviewed a few days ago and here is a breakdown of the interview.
Officer went over all the items, civics tests, read/write and yes/no questions. I cleared all of them.

He brought up that the system is showing I am missing 1 day and questioned if I had filed too early.

I responded that I filed on feb 8, 2022 and it was the earliest date as per USCIS that I could file and I had checked this in multiple USCIS eligibility calculators. Also the USCIS account had no warning.

He continued on with the interview and I signed everything.

Officer mentioned he has raised an IT ticket for the IT team to look into it and he can't submit the application without getting that fixed as the system would reject it otherwise.

He gave me the N652 results form indicating I passed and he is recommending me for approval but needs to wait for the IT fix first. Which he said would happen pretty quickly but not while I am there.

Its been about a week now and my status still shows as "interview was scheduled".

As days go by I feel nervous that something isn't updated right or that my application is just left pending.

Has anyone had this issue before? and what was the resolution?

How long did you wait before the status changed after interview.

TIA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

There have been some cases reported as filing too early when they filed exactly on the 90 days mark.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, tbdcitizen said:

I responded that I filed on feb 8, 2022

Did you file online or by mail?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
20 minutes ago, tbdcitizen said:

Hi, 

I filed my N400 exactly 90 days before my 5 year anniversary. My application was not submitted when I was with the officer because the system was showing missing 1 day. Read below for more details.

The USCIS early filing calculator showed the earliest acceptance date as '02/08/2022'.

Also, I had verified using Naturalization eligibility tool from USCIS which showed I was eligible to file.
So I went ahead and filed my application that same day. Receipt/Notice dates all show the same date.

Officer went over all the items, civics tests, read/write and yes/no questions. I cleared all of them.

He brought up that the system is showing I am missing 1 day and questioned if I had filed too early.

I responded that I filed on feb 8, 2022 and it was the earliest date as per USCIS that I could file and I had checked this in multiple USCIS eligibility calculators. Also the USCIS account had no warning.

Officer mentioned he has raised an IT ticket for the IT team to look into it and he can't submit the application without getting that fixed as the system would reject it otherwise.

He gave me the N652 results form indicating I passed and he is recommending me for approval but needs to wait for the IT fix first. Which he said would happen pretty quickly but not while I am there.

Its been about a week now and my status still shows as "interview was scheduled".

As days go by I feel nervous that something isn't updated right or that my application is just left pending.

TIA.

If you filed on line, this can be an issue because my understanding is that their system works in PST, which is 3 hours behind EST. So for example if you live in NY and filed on 02/08/2022 at 1:15 am, it might very likely be rejected.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

I filed online on the day I became eligible.

I saw one other post where the applicant filed right after mid night and his receipt date showed a day earlier. 

In my case I filed it around noon EST so even Hawaii would have crossed over the new day. Also, my notice/receipt dates are all 02/08/2022 (The earliest eligible date)

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

There have been some cases reported as filing too early when they filed exactly on the 90 days mark.  

Do you have some links to them? I found some but those were a little different like showing wrong filed date because of filing right after midnight.

My receipt dates are correct and the USCIS early filing and eligibility tool show the correct dates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Yes online filing is prone to this problem.   

Some proponents  of online filing suggest (without any scientific evidence this is a reliable work around) waiting a week.  I’m not sure how that is better than mailing the form at day 90, and having it arrive 0-2 days later.  

Edited by Mike E

This issue comes up quite a bit. Filing too early, even by a few hours. This would not be a problem if the filing date was a day or two later. What difference does a couple of days make when we’ve been on this journey for so long?  

1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

This issue comes up quite a bit. Filing too early, even by a few hours. This would not be a problem if the filing date was a day or two later. What difference does a couple of days make when we’ve been on this journey for so long?  

I hear you and may be a day or two would have made a difference but the fundamental problem here is the online filing system is not working as expected at times.

When it happens, we should push to fix it rather than accepting that there is issue and victim blaming.

I followed a published rule that is documented very well. I like many immigrant am very excited to complete my journey and applied at the earliest I was eligible for.

I did my due diligence and verified using 3 methods if I was eligible and filed on the day I became eligible. Nothing wrong with that. 

1. USCIS Early filing calculator

2. USCIS Naturalization Eligibility calculator

3. Manual days counting back from my anniversary date. 

Hopefully things will work out fine at the end for me and others in similar situation.

2 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

We filed online approximately 6 hours after midnight (on exact 90 days) and had no problem.

I am glad it went well for you. Shows that the issue is intermittent.

Hopefully I will get mine resolved soon.

10 hours ago, tbdcitizen said:

Putting aside the technical/ IT issues of the system missing one day, the fact that you did a calendar count should have been sufficient to call for the N-400 Unit Supervisor with authority to approve on the spot, if the interviewing officer lacked the authority to override a “ system” .

You will of course be approved, but if you are not willing to wait out a few weeks, then you can still take action to try and speed it up , while at the same time bringing more attention to the glitch :

1. Google your Congressman , download case authorization form and ask that Congressional Liason help with resolving , as the error is w USCIS and could have been resolved on the spot. You can email back to them w a copy of your id ( to verify you live in the district) and follow up w a call in a few days. It works .
Do note there is currently a class action for delayed N-400 s..

2. Draft a letter requesting prompt adjudication , state the facts as you posted and email one  to ombudsman as well as mail another to the Attn of your Field Office Director.  

You write well and should be quite effective…In the meantime, Congratulations! And no worries…I trust your math count.

13 hours ago, tbdcitizen said:

I am glad it went well for you. Shows that the issue is intermittent.

Hopefully I will get mine resolved soon.

Hopefully they figure it out soon and it goes through. I submitted mine 3:45am CT the day of. What's crazy is that i was reviewing it the night before in anticipation of submitting it the next morning (the 90 day mark) and the night before the system actually thought it was June 15th (my date). But it wasn't, it was June 14th. It seemingly would have let me submit the day before but it would have been early. Fingers crossed the system doesn't cause us problems.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 6/19/2022 at 11:33 AM, tbdcitizen said:

Hi, 

TIA.

They just need to update their system when they have an oath ceremony date or when they put you in line for oath ceremony. My sister did not get one update during the entire process of her green card application until after the interview. All of a sudden she got so many updates an document uploads that were not done prior to the interview. I’ve heard of an individual who was called with his interview information and no document was posted of the letter. It was close to the actual date and after calling them to find out what was happening that info was uploaded and letter sent. 

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Today marks a full week since my interview and I haven't gotten any updates yet.

I did try Emma live chat late last week and the agent mentioned it showed I had an interview but gave a generic reply that officers have 120 days to make a decision on cases after interview.

I have been trying to get Emma again today but keep dropping due to high volume.

Tomorrow I plan to try early morning and depending on that also send a secure message via my account in USCIS before deciding my next move.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.