OrlandoGringo

Can a 90-year-old retiree be a co-sponsor?

37 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

The retiree receives approximately $2,800 monthly from social security and a small military pension.

Thanks in advance.   

Doubt that would be approved.  Might want to have a backup joint sponsor, or get another job/better job so that you can afford to bring over an immigrant.

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Doubt that would be approved.  Might want to have a backup joint sponsor, or get another job/better job so that you can afford to bring over an immigrant.

On what basis do you believe that they would reject such a co-sponsor?  

1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Sure they can be a joint sponsor whether they’ll be accepted at interview is a whole different issue. 
Be realistic here - someone that is 90 years old has high likelihood of dying or getting sick in the next few years. Consular officer wouldn’t be wrong telling you to find a different joint sponsor. 

Oh, is a co-sponsor required to attend an interview?

15 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

Oh, is a co-sponsor required to attend an interview?

On the basis explained by @milimelo, above.

Not required to attend interview.

45 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

The sponsor needs to be able to support the immigrant until the immigrant becomes a citizen, or until they have performed 40 quarters (10 years) of work. Do the math.

33 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not required to attend interview.

Would they be allowed to? It might be worth their while if so. If I were a CO, and IF I were inclined to accept such a person as a sponsor (for other reasons as above may not want to), from an elder care perspective, I’d definitely want to be sure that the person was of sound mind and fully understood the obligations they were taking on by signing. (I say that as someone with several elderly relatives.)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Such an elderly joint sponsor is not likely to be accepted because they are unlikely to be around to fulfill the obligations of the contract.  The I-864 is not just a form asking for financial information and documents. It's a contract, first and foremost.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, OrlandoGringo said:

On the basis that a 90 year old (more than 90 at time of interview)  would probably not live to be 100 or over

He could not be responsible for 10 year contract under the I 864

Plus if the person has to be in nursing home (which is very likely)  the facility  (under medicare rules )  gets his SS income and more than likely any retirement income he gets

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I’m also thinking it might be rejected because the officer might argue that a 90 year old might have a hard time understanding the commitment that they are entering by signing the i864. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
8 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

On the basis that a 90 year old (more than 90 at time of interview)  would probably not live to be 100 or over

Plus if the person has to be in nursing home (which is very likely)  the facility  (under medicare rules )  gets his SS income and more than likely any retirement income he gets

Thank you your expert feedback.  Do you know the USCIS's age cut-off date for being a co-sponsor?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
16 minutes ago, OrlandoGringo said:

Thank you your expert feedback.  Do you know the USCIS's age cut-off date for being a co-sponsor?  

probably is no set age

but more a judgement call by the CO at the interview

and maybe depend on things like life insurance policies and who if the petitioner is a beneficary of one 

and assets of the people involved

plus is the country high fraud and the CO needs to be suspect of all petitions

AND

is the petitioner a new college grad who has a good earning potential but low current income 

and it is a K1 where intending immigrant could not work for  a year or more to help 

and USC  needs to pay for health care insurance

Co s are trained to look at ALL things related to a case / totality of circumstances 

If i was a CO i would ask everything as i can't imagine 2 people trying to live in the US one $18000+/-

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
8 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

I’m also thinking it might be rejected because the officer might argue that a 90 year old might have a hard time understanding the commitment that they are entering by signing the i864. 

It's a valid consideration, but secondary to the life expectancy issue.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
8 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

I agree, but where do you get the "10 year contract" idea?    (The 10 year idea comes from the 40 quarters.) But.....The contract can be in force for up to the lifetime of the sponsor or immigrant, whichever comes first.  There is no guarantee the immigrant will ever achieve 40 quarters or citizenship.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.