84 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

My fiance and I have decided to apply for AOS instead of spousal visa.   But we will not be able to do the wedding and submit the AOS application before my fiance's visa entry expires.  I read before that there is a small chance that my fiance could be detained for overstaying her visa.  But we also need to travel before our wedding.  Will it be a problem to take flights after the visa entry expires?  Would we be better to stick to other forms of transport?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience you have.

I would highly suggest you marry and file the I-485 package BEFORE she overstays her I-94.  Going through an airport after the I-94 expires would not be wise, imho.  

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

-GB, "old man of much life experience"

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

Small chance?  Maybe.....Maybe not...

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I would highly suggest you marry and file the I-485 package BEFORE she overstays her I-94.  Going through an airport after the I-94 expires would not be wise, imho.  

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate that.  Unfortunately I don't think there's any way we can do it.  It will be about a month after the I-94 expires.  Would other forms of transport be better, in your view?

Edited by lovinglive
typo

2 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

u never know nowdays, that's why i ask. just travel when i-94 still valid, she should be good. 

Yes, thanks, we need to travel after the i-94 expires, that's why I'm asking.

36 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

Will it be a problem to take flights after the visa entry expires?

It might or might not be a problem. I personally would not risk it. Why are you waiting to send the package?

From AOS to ROC (So far)

AOS😎

Filing date: 10.17.2019

Biometrics: 12.12.2019

RFE: 01.15.2020

RFE response: 01.22.2020

RFE response acknowledgment: 01.30.2020

READY TO BE SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW: 02.07.2020

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 02.07.2020

(hold on, this is where it gets interesting)

INTERVIEW DATE: 03.18.2020

The day before: rrrrriiiiiiing riiiiiiiing *my cell phone rings as we were loading the car to spend the night at a hotel prior to our interview. Interview cancelled because of COVID.🙄🙄😷🤒

READY TO BE SCHEDULED: 03.19.2020

RFE FROM THE FIELD OFFICE FOR US TO SEND THE EVIDENCE: Somewhere in early April.🙄

EVIDENCE SENT: 04.14.2020

CASE APPROVED: 04.29.2020.

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 05.01.2020🟩

ROC (so far).

PACKAGE RECEIVED AT PHOENIX LOCKBOX: 02.01.2022.

NOTIFICATION (TXT): 02.04.2022. LIN service center

BIOMETRICS: 03.28.2022 (USCIS Case tracker update Case Was Updated to Show Fingerprints Were Taken) and also email update *biometrics used from AOS*

2 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

Once an I-94 expires, the person is not authorized to even be inside the US.  Once a proper I-485 is submitted, the person is granted "authorized stay" until the I-485 is either approved or denied.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

there's always 50-50 chance. never know for sure. i personally saw in front of my eyes when it happened in the airport and it turned bad. there's officers ( not clear where are they from) removed 2 passengers out from the plane. i heard clearly it because of i-94 expiry date

Edited by Misscloud

When making a decision like this, always assume the worse.

From AOS to ROC (So far)

AOS😎

Filing date: 10.17.2019

Biometrics: 12.12.2019

RFE: 01.15.2020

RFE response: 01.22.2020

RFE response acknowledgment: 01.30.2020

READY TO BE SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW: 02.07.2020

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 02.07.2020

(hold on, this is where it gets interesting)

INTERVIEW DATE: 03.18.2020

The day before: rrrrriiiiiiing riiiiiiiing *my cell phone rings as we were loading the car to spend the night at a hotel prior to our interview. Interview cancelled because of COVID.🙄🙄😷🤒

READY TO BE SCHEDULED: 03.19.2020

RFE FROM THE FIELD OFFICE FOR US TO SEND THE EVIDENCE: Somewhere in early April.🙄

EVIDENCE SENT: 04.14.2020

CASE APPROVED: 04.29.2020.

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 05.01.2020🟩

ROC (so far).

PACKAGE RECEIVED AT PHOENIX LOCKBOX: 02.01.2022.

NOTIFICATION (TXT): 02.04.2022. LIN service center

BIOMETRICS: 03.28.2022 (USCIS Case tracker update Case Was Updated to Show Fingerprints Were Taken) and also email update *biometrics used from AOS*

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Once an I-94 expires, the person is not authorized to even be inside the US.  Once a proper I-485 is submitted, the person is granted "authorized stay" until the I-485 is either approved or denied.  

OK, thanks for that additional information.  But stepping back further, I thought that even if someone overstays, if they later file the I-485 then it works out OK.  But during the time between the I-94 expiry and filing the I-485, they are vulnerable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.