Dataunavailable

Question about marriage date vs marriage certificate

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I went to Cambodia in Feb of this year to marry my fiance, we had our ceremony Feb 13th, I left the country in March. There was a mistake they made with my DoB on our marriage certificate so they had to re do it, I had already left the country, so by the time it was finished, the marriage certificate was dated April 1st. 

Basically what date am I putting on the CR1? Our hotel receipts from the honeymoon, our pictures of the ceremony are all dated around the 13th-25th of Feb. My exit visa shows March 4th. So they would know I wasn't in the country in April. 

Do I just put April 1st and write something explaining the date discrepancy, thanks. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

the marriage certificate was dated April 1st.

It seems you are focusing on the certificate  issue date. Whether the marriage certificate is dated (issued date) months or years later, it should mention the date when you two married. When did you marry and what does the MC say about the marriage date?

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Does the certificate show the actual date of marriage as April 1? I’m not familiar with Cambodian certification but generally a marriage certificate will have two dates on it, one being the actual marriage date and one the date the certificate was issued. 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, arken said:

It seems you are focusing on the certificate  issue date. Whether the marriage certificate is dated (issued date) months or years later, it should mention the date when you two married. When did you marry and what does the MC say about the marriage date?

It states date of marriage registration April 1st 2022. That's the only date on the certificate. 

38 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Does the certificate show the actual date of marriage as April 1? I’m not familiar with Cambodian certification but generally a marriage certificate will have two dates on it, one being the actual marriage date and one the date the certificate was issued. 

It states date of marriage registration as April 1st 2022, that's the only date on our certificate. 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Cambodia generally, for Khmer citizens, they use the date of registration as their actual wedding date, even if it differs from the date of the ceremony. I've seen some that were 4 days, some a week, ours just took longer than expected, plus a mistake causing them to have to translate the entire certificate. 

My main concern is just not causing confusion with USCIS, I would think the Cambodian embasy would understand Khmer traditions. 

10 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

Cambodia generally, for Khmer citizens, they use the date of registration as their actual wedding date, even if it differs from the date of the ceremony. I've seen some that were 4 days, some a week, ours just took longer than expected, plus a mistake causing them to have to translate the entire certificate. 

My main concern is just not causing confusion with USCIS, I would think the Cambodian embasy would understand Khmer traditions. 

Indeed, it would be confusing to most people to state the marriage date as different than the ..actual date of the marriage, this sounds like something that perhaps needs regional knowledge/previous experience with this, especially given all your photo evidence is dated well before the date in the certificate.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

all my US documents have a variety of dates

my moroccan marriage certificate says signed marriage contract on 15th but contract not valid till the 17th and registered the 25th in Rabat

just use the date u married.  i did as i had no idea it wasn't valid till 2 days later

41 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

For USCIS You will need to submit any paper copy of the ceremony/ first issued with incorrect date , include copies of your entry, hotel stays and pictures and add a brief description that physical ceremony was performed in March Xx on last page of I-130 , BUT from here on your put your date of marriage as April on the I-130 and all other lifetime needs of answering the question and providing proof….., especially  , if you want a hassle free future when dealing with any other agencies ( Social Security, Insurance Companies..etc) .

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Family said:

As others have indicated, most Certificates have more than one date ( example date of licensing, date of marriage ceremony, date of validity, date of contract…) but you HAVE one one date, with minimal delay so just prove ceremony date to USCIS and no one will ever question your date of marriage again. …

For US Immigration "marriage date" is the date the couple became legally and lawfully married under the locally applicable laws.  In some countries, ceremonies are not a required part of the process.  If you are going to document your marriage with a marriage certificate that says April 1, 2022, then THAT is the date you enter on any immigration related forms.

What is correct in these situations is what is correct according to the local government policy on what constitutes being legally and lawfully married, not what the couple thinks of as their "marriage date".  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

Cambodia generally, for Khmer citizens, they use the date of registration as their actual wedding date, even if it differs from the date of the ceremony.

Some other countries follow that process, too.  That is exactly how it is done in Taiwan.  "The official date of the marriage under Taiwan law will be the date that the couple registered it with the Household Registration Bureau, not the date that the couple appeared at the District Court."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

In some countries, ceremonies are not a required part of the process. 

Exactly.....  My wife and I signed our marriage papers during lunch with her niece and niece's Mother. We needed our stamps and the stamps of both witnesses.  3 days later, we were officially married the moment we registered the paper at the appropriate agency. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Some other countries follow that process, too.  That is exactly how it is done in Taiwan.  "The official date of the marriage under Taiwan law will be the date that the couple registered it with the Household Registration Bureau, not the date that the couple appeared at the District Court."

Yes, lots of variations on this depending on the country.  In mainland China, it's the date you finally got the paperwork correct and raised your right hands before the head of the marriage office.  You are then handed the marriage book, one for each of you.  We had a ceremony on a different day.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

For US Immigration "marriage date" is the date the couple became legally and lawfully married under the locally applicable laws.  In some countries, ceremonies are not a required part of the process.  If you are going to document your marriage with a marriage certificate that says April 1, 2022, then THAT is the date you enter on any immigration related forms.

What is correct in these situations is what is correct according to the local government policy on what constitutes being legally and lawfully married, not what the couple thinks of as their "marriage date".  

Thanks

Yeah I understand that. It was just confusing and wanting to avoid a possible RFE because of the date discrepancy. But I'll be using the date on the certificate and just annotating why my pictures and other proof of marriage have a date of February vs April. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.