ClemsonC

Can you do medical while visiting the US?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, 

Can you do the medical in the US while visiting? Or does it have to be done in your country?

The nearest place for me to get the medical is about a 13 hour plane ride. I can make the appt a week before my interview but if I can avoid having to stay in Montreal for a week, I will if I can!

I’ll be visiting my husband in the US next month and was wondering if I could get it done there and then send the results to Montreal?

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where do you live that the nearest medical is 13 hours away?  Why can you  not get it done when you go to Montreal for your interview?

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
1 minute ago, canadian_wife said:

Where do you live that the nearest medical is 13 hours away?  Why can you  not get it done when you go to Montreal for your interview?

Good luck 

2 hours away from Halifax. And hoping to avoid a 1 week hotel stay in Quebec :) 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline

I guess it all comes down to options.  You can spend the extra money for a hotel in Quebec for a week.  Or you can spend the extra money for a round trip flight to Quebec/Toronto for just the medical. 

Good news, neither of those places are a 13 hour plane ride from Halifax.  It is about a 2 hour plane ride if google maps is correct.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Last time i took a 13 hr plane from US, i ended up in Honkong. May be similar from some spots in Canada. That would really be a far place for medical.

Anyway, medical within the US are done by civil surgeons for uscis purpose not for an interview in a consulate/embassy.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

2 hours ago, ClemsonC said:

Hahaha, I meant 13 hour car ride 🤣

Lol - I thought you were up in the Arctic circle and would need multiple flights, for a 13 hours journey.  13 hours car ride is long, but you might be able to get a deal on flights to Toronto or Montréal and only stay a day (Flair Airlines [which I have never heard of, admittedly] has YHZ-YUL return at USD 85/CAD 109.  Not bad. )  Good luck.

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Lol - I thought you were up in the Arctic circle and would need multiple flights, for a 13 hours journey.  13 hours car ride is long, but you might be able to get a deal on flights to Toronto or Montréal and only stay a day (Flair Airlines [which I have never heard of, admittedly] has YHZ-YUL return at USD 85/CAD 109.  Not bad. )  Good luck.

Our youngest has autism and hotel life disrupts his routine quite a bit. So that’s why I’m trying to juggle this whole thing. We were just approved for an expedite so I’m trying to wrap my head around all this now quicker than I thought 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

51 minutes ago, ClemsonC said:

Our youngest has autism and hotel life disrupts his routine quite a bit. So that’s why I’m trying to juggle this whole thing. We were just approved for an expedite so I’m trying to wrap my head around all this now quicker than I thought 

I hope everything will go smoothly for you and your family.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, ClemsonC said:

I’ll be visiting my husband in the US next month and was wondering if I could get it done there and then send the results to Montreal?

Montreal will only accept visa medical results from a consulate-accredited clinic, all of which are in Canada -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html#med_exam_instructions

Timeline
On 4/22/2022 at 2:08 PM, ClemsonC said:

2 hours away from Halifax. And hoping to avoid a 1 week hotel stay in Quebec :) 

Ugh. I hear this. We were living in Winnipeg when my husband was working on his and had to make the same choice. We ended up just doing 2 separate trips (cheaper than 1 week in a hotel!). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.