Syed Amir Hassan

Re-Married Current Spouse after Divorce got finalized

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi All,

Hi All,

I want to have your opinion on my wife’s immigration process (CR-1 Visa).

I filed I-130 application for my current wife with whom I have a child too, who born in Pakistan, when I went to US embassy in Islamabad to report his child birth. Emabassy told me that your child has to be registered as out of wed lock, because my divorce with my first wife was not finalized at the time when got married to my current wife( In Pakistan you have to wait for 90 days after divorce to get it finalized). I married within that 90 days time period without having the knowledge of 90 days rule and came to know when I visited US embassy for my child birth report. 
After that, I withdraw I-130 petition of my current wife, and married again with her in Nov 2020(At that time I can be able to legally married to anyone). I filed a fresh I-130 petition with new marriage date, Nikkah Nama, Nadra Certificate which got accepted and approved. NVC also dqed me with these documents. Now, I’m waiting for my wife’s Interview letter.

My question is:
 At the time of interview, how we should be prepared in case they ask questions related to getting remarrying again to my current wife?
Is that will cause us a problem to get trapped in Adminstrarive process? 
Any suggestions/ advice to help us get ready for interview in this scenario will be highly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I remember this case from a year or so ago. I would just explain the situation like you did here.  I would make sure I had documents clearly showing a logical sequence of events and a paper trail of all the dates you mentioned.  As far as administrative processing is concerned, I think there is already a high chance of an extended period of time in that status.  Good luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I remember this case from a year or so ago. I would just explain the situation like you did here.  I would make sure I had documents clearly showing a logical sequence of events and a paper trail of all the dates you mentioned.  As far as administrative processing is concerned, I think there is already a high chance of an extended period of time in that status.  Good luck.

My question to you is,

based on all my situation explained above. I didn’t did anything illegal or unlawful right? And my wife will not be ineligible for immigrant visa? Right?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

It appears, to me, that you corrected the issue of marrying before the divorce was finalized.  Just hope the Consulate Officer understands.  Maybe the questions won't be asked since you now have a clear chain of events.

Thanks so much!

And I’m so thankful to this group. Because I’m able to correct my issue based on the opinions of moderators here given to me last year when I posted my issue. Thanks again!

Do you recall anything similar case as my situation, if yes what was the outcome?

Thanks

Timeline
7 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

If you had proceeded with the first I-130 with your current wife you would have been denied as the marriage wasn't valid.

If you had proceeded with the first I-130 but remarried your wife you would have been denied as you filed for the petition too early. 

I think what you did is correct and it was the only path you could take. 

Thanks!

And what you recommend me during the interview if CO ask about remarrying my wife twice, what should be my response just to avoid any further delay to my case.

2 hours ago, Syed Amir Hassan said:

Thanks!

And what you recommend me during the interview if CO ask about remarrying my wife twice, what should be my response just to avoid any further delay to my case.

The first marriage wasn't valid due to the 90 day rule. 

You explained it in your OP. 

I can't guarantee the case won't be delayed after interview. No one knows what will happen. 

13 hours ago, Syed Amir Hassan said:

Hi All,

Hi All,

I filed I-130 application for my current wife with whom I have a child too, who born in Pakistan, when I went to US embassy in Islamabad to report his child birth. Emabassy told me that your child has to be registered as out of wed lock, because my divorce with my first wife was not finalized at the time when got married to my current wife( In Pakistan you have to wait for 90 days after divorce to get it finalized). I married within that 90 days time period without having the knowledge of 90 days rule and came to know when I visited US embassy for my child birth report. 
After that, I withdraw I-130 petition of my current wife, and married again with her in Nov 2020(At that time I can be able to legally married to anyone). I filed a fresh I-130 petition with new marriage date, Nikkah Nama, Nadra Certificate which got accepted and approved. NVC also dqed me with these documents. Now, I’m waiting for my wife’s Interview letter.

My question is:
 At the time of interview, how we should be prepared in case they ask questions related to getting remarrying again to my current wife?
Any suggestions/ advice to help us get ready for interview in this scenario will be highly appreciated!!

Thank you,

You explained the correction of your marriage nicely above.  That is exactly how it should be explained to the CO who conducts the interview.

You and your wife did exactly what you needed to do.  If she goes to AP it probably won’t be for this reason.   Best of luck.

PS that three month wait is an old, old law.  Im a Texan and know about it.  You also knew.

Edited by iwannaplay54

12 hours ago, Syed Amir Hassan said:

My question to you is,

based on all my situation explained above. I didn’t did anything illegal or unlawful right? And my wife will not be ineligible for immigrant visa? Right?

No

1 hour ago, Kor2USA said:

The first marriage wasn't valid due to the 90 day rule. 

You explained it in your OP. 

I can't guarantee the case won't be delayed after interview. No one knows what will happen. 

They’re good now.  They failed to comply with Islamic law, which is why they had to restart their case.  Pakistan will recognize the second marriage, but the first marriage had not completed the three month wait which made the marriage invalid as it was technically bygamy under US law.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 2/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Syed Amir Hassan said:

Hi All,

Hi All,

My question is:

Thank you,

From what you wrote above, you ARE already prepared in case they ask questions about this.  Telling the truth seldom requires any actual preparation.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 2/28/2022 at 6:25 AM, Syed Amir Hassan said:

Hi All,

Hi All,

My question is:

Thank you,

Ausalamualikm, I have also the same case as yours, did you get Interview letter yet? and what was yours NVC doc acceptance/Approval date?

• Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Marriage: 03-01-2014

I-130 Sent : 04-21-2014 I-130 Received at USCIS : 04-23-2014 I-130 NOA1 (Hardcopy) : 04-27-2014 (Waiting Period Started) :clock: I-130 NOA2 (Hardcopy) : 09-12-2014 :wow: Case sent to NVC by USCIS : 09-23-2014 NVC Case Received : 10-07-2014 Case Number Received : 10-27-2014 :idea: Completed DS-261,Paid AOS Fee : 11-05-2014 AOS Fee Showing Paid : 11-08-2014 IV Fee Generated and Paid : 11-11-2014 IV Fee showing Paid : 11-14-2014 Completed DS-260 : 11-15-2014 (Searching for Joint Sponsor) :clock: AOS & IV Package sent : 01-20-2015 NVC Received AOS and IV Packages : 01-22-2015 (60 Days waiting period starts) Case sent for supervisor review : 04-03-2015 (Due to no response till 70 days) Case Completed at NVC: 04-09-2015 :dancing: (After only 7 days in supervisor review) Interview Scheduled: 04-28-2015 (Confirmed by Phone call to NVC) (P4) Interview Letter : 04-29-2015 Status showed "In Transit" : 05-13-2015 Status showed "Ready" : 05-14-2015 Medical : 05-20-2015 (Alhamdulilah Went well) Interview: 06-09-2015 (Alhamdulilah Approved) worldwide Technical problem in visa printing : 06-09-2015 Visa Issued : 07-01-2015 :energy:(Alhamdulilah) Visa in Hand : 07-04-2015 (Islamabad Amex)(Alhamdulilah) POE at Chicago : 07-23-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.