Kiana & Katarina

Fiancee Cannot Visit USA

38 posts in this topic

Timeline

Does anyone else have this situation?:

Basically, my fiancee lives in a country where it is EXTREMELY hard to get any kind of visa to the USA. Therefore she cannot meet my family or we cannot visit my home until our K-1 visa is in our hands in order to get married. I have to live with her in her country because it's basically physically impossible for her to get into the USA. I just wanted to know if anyone else is/has been in this situation. It really sucks that we cannot simply visit my home together for her to see where I'm from, meet my parents, etc and have to wait ridiculously long just for our NOA2. So frustrating!!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

This is not uncommon.  My now wife applied twice for a B2 to come and visit and get a feel for everything and was denied both times.  We proceeded with the K1 and I did everything I could to introduce her to me family and her future new home via video chats, etc.  We chatted daily even when I was traveling for work, and I went three times to visit with her.  For us everything was smooth when she eventually came over on the K1 visa and she has adjusted extremely well.

I am curious, if you plan to live with your fiancé in their home country, why not get married and file for a spousal visa?

Good Luck!

We are a lesbian couple and it is illegal for same-sex couples to get married in her country. Thank you!

Edited by katiana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, katiana said:

Does anyone else have this situation?:

Basically, my fiancee lives in a country where it is EXTREMELY hard to get any kind of visa to the USA. Therefore she cannot meet my family or we cannot visit my home until our K-1 visa is in our hands in order to get married. I have to live with her in her country because it's basically physically impossible for her to get into the USA. I just wanted to know if anyone else is/has been in this situation. It really sucks that we cannot simply visit my home together for her to see where I'm from, meet my parents, etc and have to wait ridiculously long just for our NOA2. So frustrating!!

I’d say double percentages of K-1 couples were in that situation. 

Unless  one is from a visa waiver / exempt / free movement country (which represents a minority of the work’s population, under a billion I think) one needs a visa, and visitor visas are people with a romantic partner who is a USA citizen are usually denied. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Utah zoom marriage then. The marriage legally takes place in the state of Utah while the two brides get married over a video call, preferably early in the same physical location.  

I had no idea this existed. However we've already submitted our i-129f so maybe a bit too late for that. Thank you for the advice! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Still worth looking at even at this stage.  One of the biggest failures with the K1 is after the fiancé enters the US, marries and files for adjustment of status, there is a long wait (8+ months) to get the EAD and AP which can complicate the now spouse's adjustment to living in a new country almost completely dependent on their USC spouse.  I agree, the K1 was still the best course for same sex couples where the foreign fiancé lived in a country that does not allow them to legally marry, but now with the Zoom Utah wedding being accepted as valid as long as there is a subsequent in person meeting prior to filing the I130 petition.  K1's used to be processed very quickly which is one of the reasons they were still popular, but Covid closures at consulates have backed up that benefit quite a bit.

Anyway, Good Luck!

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I will look more into the Utah Zoom wedding. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, katiana said:

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I will look more into the Utah Zoom wedding. :)

First of all, so sorry that your spouse lives in a country where they don't understand that love is love no matter what. I'm really sorry. Now, on to your situation, I would seriously consider the CR1. Currently the wait times are the same than for a K1, and it does have many advantages. The biggest one is that your spouse will be available to work and travel abroad immediately upon entrance. As others have said, you can do a Utah Zoom marriage and go from there!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

First of all, so sorry that your spouse lives in a country where they don't understand that love is love no matter what. I'm really sorry. Now, on to your situation, I would seriously consider the CR1. Currently the wait times are the same than for a K1, and it does have many advantages. The biggest one is that your spouse will be available to work and travel abroad immediately upon entrance. As others have said, you can do a Utah Zoom marriage and go from there!

This has all been so helpful! Thank you very much. But, what if we already submitted the i-129f? what would happen if we sent it and ended up getting married in the meantime? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 minutes ago, katiana said:

This has all been so helpful! Thank you very much. But, what if we already submitted the i-129f? what would happen if we sent it and ended up getting married in the meantime? 

I think (don't quote me on this) that once you submit your CR1 and get your NOA, you can withdraw your i-129f with a simple letter.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, katiana said:

If you end up getting married while the I129F is processing then you have no choice but to withdraw it and file for a spousal visa as you would no longer qualify for a fiancé visa.  Here is a helpful site outlining the way you would pull the I129F.

Good Luck!

https://www.visatutor.com/i-129f-fiance-visa-case-proper-steps-to-cancel-or-withdraw-petition/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.