David Mpoyi

Left without Advance Parole

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello guys, 

I am wondering how I can proceed after wife left country without advance parole. It was an emergency since the grandmother is very sick and she is currently pregnant. Should I start thinking of applying for a spouse visa instead of wasting time?  We were already in the process of waiting for a green card. I do know that she won't be let back in the country as she has abandoned the case. Please help :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Yep. CR1 it is

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, David Mpoyi said:

Another question is that she already has a Social security number, won't that complicate things?

No, why would it?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks again. I am just at a loss of where to go next to this process. Could calling the USCIS and explain the reason why she left so abruptly help?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, David Mpoyi said:

Thanks again. I am just at a loss of where to go next to this process. Could calling the USCIS and explain the reason why she left so abruptly help?

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

In most cases the child will be a USC and you will need to file a CRBA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If your wife delivers in Canada and that child decides to have children, at least your child can pass his or her Canadian citizenship down.  

Sorry the situation sucks.  It's a shame you didn't attempt emergency AP prior to her departure.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

This is not a grey area, and it is not based on intent.  She left the US while the AOS was processing without an approved AP.  Therefore, the AOS case is abandoned.  It does not matter why she left - the fact that she did lead to the abandonment.

File the I-130 as soon as you can to get the process rolling.  I would add a note in the additional information section that your wife was already approved on a K1 and include the receipt number.  We did.  My wife had to leave due to a family emergency, but we knew about this before even applying for AOS.  We submitted the I-130 and I added a note with the receipt number for the approved K1.  I cannot say that this specifically had any effect, but our petition was approved in 3 months.  My assumption is that USCIS already had a case file for us, had all the background checks for the K1 and was perhaps able to use this to speed up the I-130 processing.  Or we just got lucky.

14 hours ago, David Mpoyi said:

thank you so much eveyone for your suggestions. I will get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

So i was curious… does she have an existing tourist visa or any other non immigrant visa? For example, i am on L1 currently and applying for aos and i can travel outside the country while still on L1. Sorry if i missed this portion out in any of the comments here. 

Timeline

Tourist Visa is irrelevant, entered in a K1.

20 hours ago, David Mpoyi said:

Hello guys, 

I am wondering how I can proceed after wife left country without advance parole. It was an emergency since the grandmother is very sick and she is currently pregnant. Should I start thinking of applying for a spouse visa instead of wasting time?  We were already in the process of waiting for a green card. I do know that she won't be let back in the country as she has abandoned the case. Please help :(

Check my profile and timeline, we successfully completed the CR1 process last year after abandoning AOS from a K1.

I went ahead and sent a letter (to the address on the I-485 NOA) notifying USCIS that my wife had left the country (attaching documentation of this such as the I-94 travel history) and that we would instead be pursuing the I-130/CR1 route. My reasoning for doing this was to ensure that no one wasted any more time reviewing the AOS paperwork while I gathered additional evidence for the new petition.

Whether due to my reaching out or not, USCIS sent a letter addressed to my wife within two weeks notifying that the application was denied and citing the relevant statute.

I included both my letter and the USCIS reply as "unsolicited evidence" (i.e. evidence uploaded after the petition is submitted that USCIS may not necessarily review) when filing the I-130 online.

Edited by JKLSemicolon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.