Beegirl

What do you wish you would have done in the K1 stage?

17 posts in this topic

We are almost at the end of our K1 part of our journey, thankfully. Does anyone have any protips or insights while going through the AOS process now? Is there anything anyone wishes they would have done in the K1 stage that they now know of? When my fiancé gets here to join me what are some of the first things we should do to make sure our AOS goes as stress free as possible? 

All insights welcome. 

7 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

As soon as you get here, apply for your Social Security card. Open a joint bank account and use it for transactions that show you're cohabitating and comingling your finances. Get whatever utilities you can in both your names. Start collecting statements and other evidence as it comes in and keep it organized. When the time comes, you won't have to scramble to find everything.

Thank you. I also own a condo (in just my name) and I was wondering if it’s even possible to add my fiancé to the mortgage somehow. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Beegirl said:

Thank you. I also own a condo (in just my name) and I was wondering if it’s even possible to add my fiancé to the mortgage somehow. 

I don't if you could, or to the deed, maybe? You don't have to, though. I own my house, and paid off the mortgage years ago. We agreed that I would not add my husband to the title. I did, however, add him to my homeowners insurance and included that document with our package for ROC. The only reason I didn't do it for AOS was because I didn't know it was possible to do it at that time. AOS was approved on the day of our interview, so it was fine.

Edited by Joyoussinger

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Since the SSN thing is really crucial maybe go ahead and call your local office to find out how long you have to wait for an appointment and already set one up before your fiancé gets here so you can go there in the first week after arrival. You can already sort out ( if you haven't already ) what needs to be done to add your then spouse to your health insurance and what is needed at the DMV to get a driver's license. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

It is critical that k-1 visa holders have originals of their birth certificates when they come to the USA.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 11/19/2021 at 7:20 PM, Beegirl said:

We are almost at the end of our K1 part of our journey, thankfully. Does anyone have any protips or insights while going through the AOS process now? Is there anything anyone wishes they would have done in the K1 stage that they now know of? When my fiancé gets here to join me what are some of the first things we should do to make sure our AOS goes as stress free as possible? 

All insights welcome. 

Get Married ASAP. It is taking some places up to 2 months to process Marriage Licenses into Marriage Certificates.

We entered on the 28th of August, got married on the 7th of October, and just got our Marriage Certificate last week.

This is Fulton County, GA - they take anywhere from 30-45 days to process them.

Currently, I am finishing up our AOS packet to send out tomorrow.

I’m looking up how to get a SSN and it even looks like they’re encouraging people not to apply for one. Weird. It only gives instruments for students and tells people to apply with their AOS and that the card will be issued with their AOS. It says only people who have permission to work can apply for a SS card. 

On 11/21/2021 at 5:00 PM, Letspaintcookies said:

Since the SSN thing is really crucial maybe go ahead and call your local office to find out how long you have to wait for an appointment and already set one up before your fiancé gets here so you can go there in the first week after arrival. You can already sort out ( if you haven't already ) what needs to be done to add your then spouse to your health insurance and what is needed at the DMV to get a driver's license. 

Edited by Beegirl

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

K1s are allowed to work ( as soon as they get a work permit but it's not on SSA to know if she already has one or not) so she can get a card right away. Don't let them turn you away.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Do the CR1 Visa. Year plus wait times for a green card and living in one of the top 3 highest cost of living cities in America...we are struggling to live off of one income and our mental health is suffering. Who even knows if they are processing EAD's anymore, we are not expecting to get one. 

NOA1- March 27th

💕

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"NOT" making the mistake of trying to get a Social Security Card "AFTER" getting married in her married name instead of maiden name.

I thought we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. but in reality it is costing us months of waiting for her EAD to be approved before getting one.

This is preventing her from getting a drivers license and being added to my primary bank account.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

"NOT" making the mistake of trying to get a Social Security Card "AFTER" getting married in her married name instead of maiden name.

I thought we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. but in reality it is costing us months of waiting for her EAD to be approved before getting one.

This is preventing her from getting a drivers license and being added to my primary bank account.  

Agreed.  Due to compressed timeline, name changes and K-1 visas don’t mix.  We did not do a name change and will not until after naturalization. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 11/25/2021 at 7:53 AM, Mike E said:

It is critical that k-1 visa holders have originals of their birth certificates when they come to the USA.  

THIS! We are now struggling to get one before we file our AOS packet one month from now. Every day counts and I'm gonna be kicking myself if we have to delay filing because of it.

K1 process:

• 10-28-2020 - i-129f Received at Lockbox          
  • 12-08-2020 - NOA1 
  • 06-14-2021 - RFE 
  • 07-06-2021 - NOA2
  • 08-19-2021 - Arrived at Embassy
  • 10-07-2021 - Checklist received
  • 10-21-2021 - Interview & Approval
  • 12-29-2021 - Marriage :)

AOS:

• 01-29-2022 - Package sent to Phoenix Lockbox
  • 02-02-2022 - Credit Card Charged
  • 02-12-2022 - Notice of Biometrics
  • 03-09-2022 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 hours ago, Mike E said:

Agreed.  Due to compressed timeline, name changes and K-1 visas don’t mix.  We did not do a name change and will not until after naturalization. 

Is the issue better if you get the SS# before getting married, then get a name change at marriage? Or would this still complicate the process?

Timeline
5 hours ago, mattUsUkr said:

Is the issue better if you get the SS# before getting married, then get a name change at marriage? Or would this still complicate the process?

If you want REAL ID,, you need yo get it before day 31: I don’t see how you are going to do all this  by day 30

* get SS card in maiden name

* get married 

* get new passport

* get new SS card in new name

* apply for REAL ID in new name 

And during the pandemic. Especially just went we are headed for a repeater of the 2020 restrictions due to Omicron. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.