kylie_and_hamid

Will the fact that we had an engagement party be a problem for us?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

For a little background, my Moroccan sweetie and I met as language exchange partners through HelloTalk in February 2020, and have spoken nearly daily since then. We are both Muslim, and conventional dating isn't really a thing for us, but we realized that we really had begun to care for each other and began to talk seriously about courting in January of this year. During the three weeks that I was visited last month (my first visit; COVID squashed my plans to visit last year when we were still friends), I met his parents and sisters and stayed with his very traditional Amazigh family for much of the time. At the end of the three weeks he proposed to me so that we could continue to develop our relationship in a halal way, and a way that respected his family customs and our mutual beliefs. To celebrate, his family threw us a little engagement party, and we took a lot of pictures of us, the engagement rings, and the family. It was a lot of fun, and we were both so happy.

I wanted to include those photos in our package as we build our case for a bona fide relationship for a K-1 visa (I will be visiting again early next year, and we'll most likely submit after that), but I am a little concerned now because I see that some people have been denied for including photos like this because the consular officer suspects that the marriage has already taken place. Does anyone have any experience with this? Please share any experiences that you have had specifically with the Casablanca consulate, or other MENA consulates. (I appreciate your willingness to give advice from other places, but I think it may not be relevant to my situation.) Thanks in advance for your help 💗

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

One thing I know is do not refer to each other as husband and wife to immigration.. you are engaged so make sure to stick to the term Fiance.. it is pretty much customary (as far as what I've experienced and saw) to have an engagement party in Morocco.. so I don't think it will be a problem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's very normal to have an engagement party in Morocco. In fact they will likely ask about it at the interview and ask to see photos. Some of the VJ users might say some scary things about the Casablanca consulate (and they are right that it notoriously difficult), but a traditional engagement party is generally not a problem at all. We were actually asked at our interview why we did not have a traditional engagement ceremony and had to defend that. I've seen plenty of couples show engagement party photos at the interview in Casablanca and never have I seen it be a cause for denial or concern. As long as it doesn't look like a wedding party (engagement party photos would be a simple and small gathering involving engagement rings, sharing milk and sweets/dates vs a wedding party with a large number of guests, multiple wedding dresses, traditional wedding chair/furniture photos, etc).

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had a engagement party on our first meeting as well. Same as you, our original plans to meet when COVID started were delayed so we didn’t want to waste more time when we finally did meet. Our K-1 was approved in September and he arrived here a few weeks ago and are now married. 

We included all of the engagement party photos in our packet when we filed. It was not a problem. 

You can message me if you have any questions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://touringihttps://touringinmorocco.com/

So the girl's parents were there and the following happened:

the parents of the bride to be meet with the parents of the groom and the give their consent to the marriage and the engagement is announced at the end of the talks

the talks envolve the dowery and who pays for cost of the marriage celebration

the Khotba ends with payment of the dowery

any other type of celebration will look as "too married for a K1"  

any henna/ any beautiful dresses will look as a marriage celebration

as muslims you must follow the Islam traditions unlike some who are of other faiths where an engagement party with family and friends is widely accepted 

you should consider marriage in Morocco and a spouse visa 

Timeline
On 10/28/2021 at 12:47 PM, UsagiCosplay said:

We had a engagement party on our meeting as well. Same as you, our original plans to meet when COVID started were delayed so we didn’t want to waste more time when we finally did meet. Our K-1 was approved in September and he arrived here a few weeks ago and are now married. 

We included all of the engagement party photos in our packet when we filed. It was not a problem. 

You can me if you have any questions!

On 10/27/2021 at 6:18 AM, RJandHamid said:

It's very normal to have an engagement party in Morocco. In they will likely ask about it at the interview and ask to see photos. Some of the VJ users might say some scary things about the Casablanca (and they are right that it notoriously difficult), but a traditional engagement party is generally not a problem at all. We were asked at our interview why we did not have a traditional engagement ceremony and had to defend that. I've seen plenty of couples show engagement party photos at the interview in Casablanca and have I seen it be a cause for denial or concern. As long as it doesn't look like party (engagement party photos would be a simple and small gathering involving engagement rings, sharing and sweets/dates vs a wedding party with a large number of guests, multiple wedding dresses, traditional wedding chair/furniture photos, etc).

Thank you both, I appreciate the input! 🙏 JAK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Any particular reason you want to try the K1 route?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Any particular reason you want to try the K1 route?

Our original idea was that the processing time was faster and we wouldn't have to be away from each other as long; I know that that may not be the case as much now. We knew that he wouldn't be able to work until he received his green card, but we have plans for what we will do in the meantime. We just want to start our lives together as soon as we can. Honestly, at this point waiting until I can visit again to marry and then filing the IR1/CR1 after that and then having to wait the entire processing period doesn't really appeal to us, but at this point the K1 seems like a little bit of a gamble because if we waited the entire K1 processing period and got denied, we would have to go the IR1/CR1 route anyway. It seems there aren't really any ideal options.

Edited by agirlnamedkylie

21 hours ago, agirlnamedkylie said:

Our original idea was that the processing time was faster and we wouldn't have to be away from each other as long; I know that that may not be the case as much now. We knew that he wouldn't be able to work until he received his green card, but we have plans for what we will do in the meantime. We just want to start our lives together as soon as we can. Honestly, at this point waiting until I can visit again to marry and then filing the IR1/CR1 after that and then having to wait the entire processing period doesn't really appeal to us, but at this point the K1 seems like a little bit of a gamble because if we waited the entire K1 processing period and got denied, we would have to go the IR1/CR1 route anyway. It seems there aren't really any ideal options.

There is no measurable difference in overall processing times for K-1 vs CR-1 any longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.