Fleurs

High risk pregnant Canadian, due date after US Immigration VISA expires

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Thank you for reading my post. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. 

I just found out that I am pregnant and high-risk. I have my US immigration medical next week, followed by the US Immigration interview week after. I am very nervous about the X-ray situation and consulted doctors. They said I should be fine to get it done so long as I wear the lead shields.

If I successfully get my US Immigrant Visa (IR1/CR1) after the interview, I have 6 months to cross the border. 

Because I am high risk, I need to start everything for the pregnancy in Canada, and I have read that once I cross into the US, I lose my Canadian residency and therefore my healthcare. My husband does not have an adequate health insurance plan nor the savings for the baby. 

I have no idea what to do at this point!  The pregnancy is short of a miracle as I wasn't expected to conceive. I was involved in a major car crash in NJ 2 years ago while visiting my husband. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I would be so grateful for any words of advice. 

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like the best bet is to delay the process and give your spouse time to sort things out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Agreed. Delay the process- as long as you’re in touch with the consular in Montreal at least once a year they’ll keep the file there. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

of course your husband can add u at any time (with life changing conditions like a marriage or moving to US)

BIG issue right now as this is the time we choose next years's health care coverage

many companies offer several different plans

if he has the choice to pick a better plan ,  he needs to do so 

and yes,  the individual and spouse or family plan are expensive in the US   but he better be prepared for this with his new responsibilities

Timeline

Thank you @milimelo - I had no idea that was a thing, that you could keep in touch with the Montreal VISA office. I just sighed a breathe of relief. 

Timeline

@JeanneAdil - that's smart, I didn't even think about insurance plans and health coverage renewals. I am currently NOT on his plan. Thank you for pointing this out!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Fleurs said:

And sorry, when you say delay the process, do you mean cancel the interview?

Cancel the medical and re-schedule the interview.  For after your baby is born.  The way to re-schedule an interview may be to cancel, the current one,  and get back in tough with the embassy after the baby is born. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.