Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had a question regarding police checks and health screening if anyone is able to answer:

1. I’m living in the states on a TN visa and have been living here since Dec 2021. My interview is on Jan 2023. Would this mean I need a police check from the U.S as I would’ve stayed here for more than a year?

2. How many hep B shots would you need to be considered fully vaccinated for the health screening. I also wanted to know if this was an invasive process or not.

Thank you all in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@CanadianGirl3

the hep b series is 3 injections, over at least 4mos

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, CanadianGirl3 said:

1. I’m living in the states on a TN visa and have been living here since Dec 2021. My interview is on Jan 2023. Would this mean I need a police check from the U.S as I would’ve stayed here for more than a year?

No police check from the US is required:

Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

3 hours ago, CanadianGirl3 said:

Hi all,

I had a question regarding police checks and health screening if anyone is able to answer:

2. How many hep B shots would you need to be considered fully vaccinated for the health screening. I also wanted to know if this was an invasive process or not.

2. You just need one for that purpose and promise that you are going to finish the series.

Timeline

A few questions on required documents for the interview:

1. Bring a copy of your interview letter, that would be the interview email from NVC and/or your interview registration form?

2. Copy of your visa fee receipts, is that the fee receipts for IV and DS260 forms on NVC or anything else?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, kkeys said:

I have an SUV that I'm taking for a bit but I can't tow with it unfortunately. I am going to try a roof rack, and also see if anyone local to me would bring a suitcase along with them if they're headed that way between now and then! 

Just be aware that you might have some challenges if you don't plan to import the vehicle you're driving.  You're activating your PR, so in CBP's mind, you're moving.  

23 hours ago, CanadianGirl3 said:

Hi all,

Keep in mind that the assumption when doing Consular processing is that you live in Canada.  Make plans to stay because you won't get your passport back for a while, so you won't be able to reenter the US for work.  

2 hours ago, mike_b2020 said:

A few questions on required documents for the interview:

1. Bring a copy of your interview letter, that would be the interview email from NVC and/or your interview registration form?

2. Copy of your visa fee receipts, is that the fee receipts for IV and DS260 forms on NVC or anything else?

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/appointment-checklist/

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

Hey everyone,

My immigrant visa is with me and I am yet to do landing to complete the process.

My visa is valid until end of April. I am still wrapping up things in Canada so want to delay landing to March/April. However, I have a trip coming up next month and I will be transitting through US. 

Since I will only be transitting through the airport for a couple of hours, can I request border agents to grant me entry as a visitor so I can continue my journey and then do my immigrant landing at a later date?

Has anyone done this before?

I do not mind landing as an immigrant but I do not want to lose healthcare benefits as I have heard you lose it as soon as you land as a LPR in the US. Still have my job here and properites to sell which will take a couple of months to wrap up.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Hey everyone,

My immigrant visa is with me and I am yet to do landing to complete the process.

My visa is valid until end of April. I am still wrapping up things in Canada so want to delay landing to March/April. However, I have a trip coming up next month and I will be transitting through US. 

Since I will only be transitting through the airport for a couple of hours, can I request border agents to grant me entry as a visitor so I can continue my journey and then do my immigrant landing at a later date?

Has anyone done this before?

I do not mind landing as an immigrant but I do not want to lose healthcare benefits as I have heard you lose it as soon as you land as a LPR in the US. Still have my job here and properites to sell which will take a couple of months to wrap up.

That sounds exactly like my situation, and the border agents sure messed things up!  I entered US a month before the visa expiry.  It took awhile at the border, but finally I was allowed to enter with the assurance that I was entering on a B-2 (visitor) visa.  All was well, until I started receiving things in the mail.  First SSN.  Then green card.  When I went back to officially enter as a permanent resident and get the visa stamped, they were sure stumped.  Apparently, the computer had already admitted me as a permanent resident.  Thankfully it was the same border agents who remembered me.  They said it was all fixed up in the system now, but I'm not too sure.  My visa is stamped on Aug 23.  My green card is dated sometime in July.  Looks like potential for trouble somewhere in the future.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Family One said:

That sounds exactly like my situation, and the border agents sure messed things up!  I entered US a month before the visa expiry.  It took awhile at the border, but finally I was allowed to enter with the assurance that I was entering on a B-2 (visitor) visa.  All was well, until I started receiving things in the mail.  First SSN.  Then green card.  When I went back to officially enter as a permanent resident and get the visa stamped, they were sure stumped.  Apparently, the computer had already admitted me as a permanent resident.  Thankfully it was the same border agents who remembered me.  They said it was all fixed up in the system now, but I'm not too sure.  My visa is stamped on Aug 23.  My green card is dated sometime in July.  Looks like potential for trouble somewhere in the future.

Yikes thats not good. I just dont want to lose healthcare benefits until I am permanently moving which will be a couple of more months. I know there has been alot of discussion on it in the past and I know a few people personally who got their immigration visa stamped and continued to live in Canada for a few more months while accessing the residential benefits since they technically did "not move". So confusing lol!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Yikes thats not good. I just dont want to lose healthcare benefits until I am permanently moving which will be a couple of more months. I know there has been alot of discussion on it in the past and I know a few people personally who got their immigration visa stamped and continued to live in Canada for a few more months while accessing the residential benefits since they technically did "not move". So confusing lol!

That’s what I’m also planning, do my landing and visa stamp but won’t move until a few months after. 

I do see it’s correct that you’ll lose healthcare after becoming LPR, but has anyone confirmed that, Where they were seeking healthcare but was told they no longer have coverage? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.