Apro548

Question about DV and K1. (SPLIT) (merged threads)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
20 hours ago, Apro548 said:

Hi ALL, I am new here. Can anybody please say if 2 visa processes could be in the system at the same time? Such as DV and K1? I am on K1 from last year and got selected for DV 2022. What are the pros and cons pl as you see? Thanks.

Yes they can, like we already answered in the other forum. 

Just now, Sm1smom said:

Yes they can, like we already answered in the other forum. 

I’d also directed this poster to an appropriate sub forum for K1 questions here, not sure why this hasn’t been posted there  🤷‍♀️ 

*** Posts split from other member's thread. Do not ask questions about your case in other member's thread per the site's TOS.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

• 2 weeks later...

We have started K1 process in 2019 and it is at CP status from February this year after going through other steps. I could not face the interview yet due to the pandemic situation and continouous closures and restrictions in the country and I have asked for extensions from the consular.  In the meantime I am selected for DV 2022 as well. Frankly I prefer to proceed through DV than K1 because I understand the DV is less expensive and more direct GC process. My questions are -

1. How long will our K1 petition permissible ? Is there any time frame?
2. I came to understand that there is a time frame of 6 months to activate K1 if granted. If I face K1 interview, can I still face the DV interview if it gets current within the next 6 months? Am I allowed to choose DV instead of K1 if granted?

3. I know it depends also on my DV CN, as it is high as 24k. Please give your expert views looking at this case. I am very confused and value your ideas. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes,  u can apply for DV lottery but why do u think it is less expensive ? 

K1 already applied for and the visa cost for interview is $265

dv lottery fee:

Diversity Visa Lottery fee (per person applying as a DV program selectee for a DV category immigrant visa) $330.00

and your chances of winning ???

The DV program issues 50,000 immigrant visas annually, based on the results of a random drawing. 2 The visas are apportioned among countries with “historically low rates of immigration to the U.S.” For fiscal year 2021, the most recent figures available, more than 23.2 million people applied to the green card lottery.

Now add all that to the fact u still must AOS after coming to the US so you still have the $1225 expense

Read thru  this as your timeframe for AOS is limited to 90 days after POE with K1 visa you have 90 days to marry and then AOS

https://www.prizant-law.com/adjustment-of-status-with-diversity-visa/

• Ryan H changed the title to Question about DV and K1. (SPLIT) (merged threads)
  • Ontarkie locked this topic
  • Ryan H unlocked this topic
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged; do not start multiple threads on the same issue.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

5 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Yes,  u can apply for DV lottery but why do u think it is less expensive ? 

K1 already applied for and the visa cost for interview is $265

dv lottery fee:

Diversity Visa Lottery fee (per person applying as a DV program selectee for a DV category immigrant visa) $330.00

and your chances of winning ???

The DV program issues 50,000 immigrant visas annually, based on the results of a random drawing. 2 The visas are apportioned among countries with “historically low rates of immigration to the U.S.” For fiscal year 2021, the most recent figures available, more than 23.2 million people applied to the green card lottery.

Now add all that to the fact u still must AOS after coming to the US so you still have the $1225 expense

Read thru  this as your timeframe for AOS is limited to 90 days after POE with K1 visa you have 90 days to marry and then AOS

They’ve already been selected for DV this year, as they mentioned in their post. There has been a discussion on another forum about this FYI, I pointed poster to VJ to ask the appropriate K1 questions, as the other forum knows a lot about DV but not much about K1. They would not adjust status with DV, they would get the immigrant visa at their home consulate. It ends up way cheaper than K1, the costs are $330 DV, $220 immigrant fee and the medical, and then boom unconditional green card immediately. No AOS fee as with K1 and no long wait unable to do stuff and no conditional green card. I personally can’t see why poster would rather do K1 assuming the DV case becomes current.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 2:50 AM, SusieQQQ said:

They’ve already been selected for DV this year, as they mentioned in their post. There has been a discussion on another forum about this FYI, I pointed poster to VJ to ask the appropriate K1 questions, as the other forum knows a lot about DV but not much about K1. They would not adjust status with DV, they would get the immigrant visa at their home consulate. It ends up way cheaper than K1, the costs are $330 DV, $220 immigrant fee and the medical, and then boom unconditional green card immediately. No AOS fee as with K1 and no long wait unable to do stuff and no conditional green card. I personally can’t see why poster would rather do K1 assuming the DV case becomes current.

Thanks a lot, SusieQQQ. I am glad that you understand my issue with these two processes. I guess I am now in the correct place as you directed. Also I am grateful for the views you express in your various answers explaining the benefits of DV process. I gathered information from Mr. Simon's blogs too regarding DV, which were very useful and he is very helpful. Why I am interested in K1 process is due to my high CN (AS24k) because I understand from the posts of forums that there are delays in processing  due to the current lawsuit and also I heard that if the CN is high,  it might not come to the interview level at all. From the expert's replies I gathered that I can be on both processes but what I do not know is the time frame for K1 at CP level -  ex. whether it gets automatically cancelled if I do not face or delay the interview, if there is an impact if I face the K1 interview and wait and see the permissible time period whether my DV becomes current or not, and if it becomes current and if I face DV interview, whether it will have an impact since I faced the K-1 too. These are the questions come to my mind. I apologize if I were not clear enough, and thank you very much.

• 4 months later...

Hello members, I read through the posts and I find the information provided are very useful.  Thanks to all. I have a peculiar problem. I raised this in another forum here, but I guess I have to direct my question to the particular category. My Fiance applied for K-1 for me in 2019, and it is now at the Consular status as "ready". It arrived there at the end of 2020. But due to pandemic situation, lock downs and closures  in the country, I could not face the interview and I have been in touch with the Embassy informing that I have not abandoned the intent. What peculiar is, that I am now selected to DV 2022. I know that there is no guarantee that you get through in either of the processes, but we prefer to try the DV process since it is less costly and more direct. My questions - if I go for the interview for K1 now, what is its impact on DV process, if my CN number will also go current in few months? I know if I go for K1 now, I have 6 months time to go to the US. Am I allowed to wait and see if DV goes current and face that interview too? If that is so, will both get cancelled? What is the best option according to the forum? I have got some information for kind members of other forums, but would like to get it addressed  here directly since this is the K-1 visa forum. Your opinions are greatly valued for both of us. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Apro548 said:

My questions - if I go for the interview for K1 now, what is its impact on DV process, if my CN number will also go current in few months?

At least I’ve former visa officer says none.  I don’t know why you would do that though. 

I know if I go for K1 now, I have 6 months time to go to the US. Am I allowed to wait and see if DV goes current and face that interview too?

The I-129F petition has an expiration. The consulate can extend it.  I don’t know why it would in this case.  The K-1 visa once issued expires, typically 6 months from the medical. Once it expires that’s it and you have to ask the consulate for another.  

If that is so, will both get cancelled?

If you use neither both get canceled. 

What is the best option according to the forum?

Go for the DV

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

At least I’ve former visa officer says none.  I don’t know why you would do that though. 

The I-129F petition has an expiration. The consulate can extend it.  I don’t know why it would in this case.  The K-1 visa once issued expires, typically 6 months from the medical. Once it expires that’s it and you have to ask the consulate for another.  

If you use neither both get canceled. 

Go for the DV

I am glad that you replied to me. All these are very confusing. Well,  as of 1, I did not understand what you meant. Could you please elaborate?  2. The K-1 application got extended due to pandemic situation. K-1 was not issued yet, since I could not face the interview yet. But I got an email yesterday asking for a probable date - to come and face the interview. 3. If I face K1 and go for DV also and face that, and if I am granted DV, K-1 automatically gets cancelled right? I am sorry for all these "ifs". My concern is that I have a high CN number, so we cannot be certain in it.  I am worried that if I wait for DV, the K-1 process might get cancelled. I do not know whether I can go for K-1 now (since the Embassy asked for a date of which I can face the interview), wait and see whether the DV gets current and face that? If DV is granted we are definitely taking that path. I do not know whether this have any negative impact?  I am sorry if I bothered you with my foolish questions. Thank you for your valuable insight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Apro548 said:

I am glad that you replied to me. All these are very confusing. Well,  as of 1, I did not understand what you meant. Could you please elaborate?

pls quote the text you want me to elaborate 

2. The K-1 application got extended due to pandemic situation. K-1 was not issued yet, since I could not face the interview yet. But I got an email yesterday asking for a probable date - to come and face the interview.

The approved I-129F was extended because otherwise it would expire for a reason that wasn’t your fault.  

3. If I face K1 and go for DV also and face that, and if I am granted DV, K-1 automatically gets cancelled right?

If it canceled why do you care? The DV is the superior visa.  

I am sorry for all these "ifs". My concern is that I have a high CN number, so we cannot be certain in it.  I am worried that if I wait for DV, the K-1 process might get cancelled. I do not know whether I can go for K-1 now (since the Embassy asked for a date of which I can face the interview), wait and see whether the DV gets current and face that? If DV is granted we are definitely taking that path. I do not know whether this have any negative impact?  I am sorry if I bothered you with my foolish questions. Thank you for your valuable insight.

You can ask the consulate to extend the I-129F until your DV is denied.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Merged similar threads. Please do not start any more threads on this topic and keep all discussion to this single thread.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.