P055UM

Issues obtaining SSN after K1 visa

69 posts in this topic

I am having terrible trouble obtaining my SSN after entering on K1 visa. Here is my timeline:

8 Aug - Entered on K1 visa

9 Aug - Called local SS office, told to wait two weeks to allow SAVE system to be up to date

20 Aug - Got married!

23 Aug - Called SS office again, arranged for appointment to apply for SSN on 27 Aug

27 Aug - Went to local SS office, brought all documents. Everything seemed fine, I was given the standard letter saying it may be up to 4 weeks (although the lady behind the window told me it was more likely to be 2 weeks)

11 Sep - File for AoS, declining all options to apply for SSN (as advised by lady at SS office as already applied for)

24 Sep - 4 weeks later - no SSN. Call the office, they tell me that SAVE couldn't verify my status

27 Sep - SS office tries to verify my status on SAVE again. It is currently just sitting as pending

Can save really be this slow or is there something more serious amiss here? I still have time left on my I-94 so if possible I would really like to get this rectified, mostly so I don't lose my ability to drive (in my state foreign drivers cannot drive on foreign DL after 60 days of establishing residency). I know there is nothing that can be done to "bump" the SAVE system along, but assuming they come back again not being able to verify my status, is there anything else I can do?

I figured as much.

I should also say, I can see both attempts from the Social Security Office to verify me on SAVE CaseCheck. The first attempt shows as completed, whereas the second is pending. I find it quite bothersome that the first shows as completed, but apparently the SS office think I haven't been verified. I entered legally after all! Makes me wonder if my record is somehow incorrect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@AW1704

Try a different office ASAP. They aren’t giving you very good information.
The wait 2 weeks is old stuff. Your passport scan at POE populates it immediately.

SAVE should be instant. It sounds like they think SAVE should change.  It’s the manual process of sending off to USCIS that they say allow 4 weeks. 

if the USCIS entry record (done by passport scan) does not match exactly, they have to manually verify. If your first and middle name are run together into one long name, you don’t match. See anything like a run together name on you I-94?

Edited by Wuozopo

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Try a different office ASAP. They aren’t giving you very good information.

I agree.  The advice to decline the SSN options on the AoS forms is also unwise.  Those form options would have saved a trip to SSA office in case OP is not issued SSN before I-94 expires.

@Wuozopo

the only odd thing about my I-94 is that it doesn't contain my middle name. I don't know if that could cause an issue. It is so frustrating, if the system is automatic, surely it means that the SS office are not submitting the correct information??

@Chancy

thanks. yes, i guess with hindsight that is true. at the time it didn't seem like an unreasonable suggestion - didn't want to confuse the system by asking USCIS to send over to SS when an SSN had already been applied for. to be honest, i don't particularly mind having to do the physical act of applying again once I get EAD, the issue is that I don't want to lose my opportunity to get it beforehand. Particularly since I followed all the instructions I was given. C'est la vie I suppose.

Edited by AW1704

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Did you changed your name and applied in your married name for the SSN? That often kills it cause your name doesn't match with what Homeland has on file for you.

@Letspaintcookies

afraid not - no name changes here. if I *had* it would at least be an explanation for why they can't find me! 😅

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
24 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

afraid not - no name changes here. if I *had* it would at least be an explanation for why they can't find me

No middle name on I-94 and a middle name in your passport means you don’t match and USCIS has to verify you are the same person. And they did verify it sounds like, but the SSA person didn’t understand that part and asked again. 

I would go to another office or try to speak to the head person at your office. 

@Wuozopo

Thanks for your suggestion. It surely would be frustrating if they had already received positive confirmation from USCIS once and just missed it but I guess that is possible?!

In any case I will try and get hold of somebody tomorrow. Unfortunately it isn't possible to just go into the office, so I'll have to chance my arm on the phone. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

I agree.  The advice to decline the SSN options on the AoS forms is also unwise.  Those form options would have saved a trip to SSA office in case OP is not issued SSN before I-94 expires.

Wouldn't that cause some people to wait 1-2 years for an SSN?

@Jorgedig the EAD form also has it, so you would get one on or around the time you get your EAD - currently around 9 months or so (I think)

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Wouldn't that cause some people to wait 1-2 years for an SSN?

It's just a more convenient way to apply for SSN, only in case an applicant is not able to get one prior to being issued EAD or GC.  Like in the OP's case, things don't always go well, even if the K1 visa holder applies for SSN soon after arriving in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, AW1704 said:

@Wuozopo

the only odd thing about my I-94 is that it doesn't contain my middle name. I don't know if that could cause an issue. It is so frustrating, if the system is automatic, surely it means that the SS office are not submitting the correct information??

@Chancy

thanks. yes, i guess with hindsight that is true. at the time it didn't seem like an unreasonable suggestion - didn't want to confuse the system by asking USCIS to send over to SS when an SSN had already been applied for. to be honest, i don't particularly mind having to do the physical act of applying again once I get EAD, the issue is that I don't want to lose my opportunity to get it beforehand. Particularly since I followed all the instructions I was given. C'est la vie I suppose.

My names were messed up on the i-94 as well, so before I could apply for a SSN I had to email CBP to have it corrected so my i-94 showed the correct info. 

Always apply for a SSN before getting married. And there's no 2 week wait time, many of us applied for our SSNs within hours or days after entering the US. Despite my i-94 issue I still managed to apply for my SSN 4 days after arrival. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.