Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

Hey guys, I need some help here. My son's passport is expiring January 2022. Should I renew it here while I am Canada or 

wait and do it from the USA by mail. I am not sure if I have to show up in person at Washington DC Canadian Consulate which is quite a ride from where I will be at.

Any suggestions???? Thank s for the help !!!

I think I read somewhere and might be mistaken but I thought your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after poe. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

Hey guys, I need some help here. My son's passport is expiring January 2022. Should I renew it here while I am Canada or 

wait and do it from the USA by mail. I am not sure if I have to show up in person at Washington DC Canadian Consulate which is quite a ride from where I will be at.

I think so long as your passport and visa are valid when you hit the PoE, you will be granted admission as a LPR. The FAM has very little scope for a IV holder to be denied entry and a passport expiring with less than 6 months left on it ain't one of them.

I believe the Consulate requires at least 6 months on the passport for the visa to be issued, but I can't quite remember for sure on that front. Once you've got your visa in hand and the passport is valid, you should be good to go.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

It's cheaper and easier to get proper photos while in Canada.  It wasn't slow for me to renew Kid2's Stateside, but it was rather unnerving not having the passport in hand, especially if your green cards don't come quickly.  Technically you're not supposed to send it back to Canada before the green cards came, too, because you need to have proof of status available.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Waynester925 said:

are covid tests still required before we cross the border into the US to activate our visa's? 

Never have been required for US entry by land. Antigen/PCR/NAAT required by air.

PCR or NAAT test required for return to Canada by any mode of transport.

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, State and Maine said:

Just checked ceac and the status has changed from refused to issued!! It still says undergoing AP but it’s better than this morning!!28A62D30-9AE9-4A40-B540-5EEEAA8ADC7B.thumb.jpeg.30c36cf72305cac9e4cc3c59e6c0d4c3.jpeg

Congratulations!!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Fobosdaemios said:

How's air travel restriction from other provinces to Montreal? Could anyone share the experience? Is there any Covid test or restrictions require for flying to Montreal from BC?

No restrictions re. tests or travel.  Though I think you can't have symptoms of Covid for air travel within Canada, and I believe you get temp-checked in security.

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

On 7/21/2021 at 2:18 PM, State and Maine said:

Just checked ceac and the status has changed from refused to issued!! It still says undergoing AP but it’s better than this morning!!28A62D30-9AE9-4A40-B540-5EEEAA8ADC7B.thumb.jpeg.30c36cf72305cac9e4cc3c59e6c0d4c3.jpeg

Congratulations!

I just had my interview this morning and also got put in AP (also got refused entry last August). The guy was very kind and said everything else looks good and he sees no issue with me getting my visa. Hoping that it's within the same day like you. Where did you find this message on the ceac website? Just so I know where to keep an eye out

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mgill91 said:

Congratulations!

I just had my interview this morning and also got put in AP (also got refused entry last August). The guy was very kind and said everything else looks good and he sees no issue with me getting my visa. Hoping that it's within the same day like you. Where did you find this message on the ceac website? Just so I know where to keep an eye out

Sounds like how mine went. Don’t stress it like I did lol 

Here’s the link to check your status https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

Hopefully yours gets updated today!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mgill91 said:

Congratulations!

Did you willingly say that you were refused entry? Or they simply saw that detail on your file? Basically, when you went to the border, they said you couldn't come and gave you a printed paper? That happened to me last August as well, just want to be prepared because then for sure, I'll be put into AP. 

3 minutes ago, annierob said:

Did you willingly say that you were refused entry? Or they simply saw that detail on your file? Basically, when you went to the border, they said you couldn't come and gave you a printed paper? That happened to me last August as well, just want to be prepared because then for sure, I'll be put into AP. 

Well the officer started asking questions immediately so I didn't offer anymore information than what was being asked in the moment, and then he brought up the refusal. 

Yes when I went to the border they pulled me into secondary and ended up giving me the paper that said "application voluntarily withdrawn".

Not guaranteed, but based off @State and Maine and my scenario I would assume it's a safe assumption that you will be. I will update when I get mine issued as well! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.