Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, aurmorr said:

Not at all! I’m in Ottawa and I used a third party service through a company called Commissionaires. They told me it could take up to 4 weeks, and to call them if I don’t get it by then, but it’s usually around 2 weeks. Last year it took about 10 calendar days and was a lot faster- so 15 days isn’t that big of a jump even though I was getting anxious!

Thank you so much!! I'm so glad you got yours in time, and I hope that mine will be the same :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

If you're already in the US and can go without returning to Canada anytime soon you could switch to Adjustment of Status, providing that you did not have that intent or confirm that you wouldn't to the CBP officer on your original entry.

You wanna laugh? USCIS made a mistake last June 2020, and approved AOS in my application instead of Montreal. They confirmed it was their mistake (to our congressman...yes, we had to involve him), so I filed the form and paid $500 something to change and be delayed by 5 months in my timeline. I’m kicking myself because had that mistake not happened, my DQ would have been in June and I would have had my interview by now. And worse, if I would have just taken the AOS, I wouldn’t have to leave right now. I just didn’t want to do AOS because it looked so sketchy! I felt like the “right” thing to do was Montreal.

So in the end, I lose no matter what. And by the doing the right thing, even if it was their mistake!

Thank goodness for this group...I’m so thankful to have other people understand the rollercoaster this has been.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

He can write emails and leave voicemails on his Rep's phone number, that should be open to do 24/7.

I will ask him to do that. He may be more comfortable with the emailing ;)

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

The only time AoS is sketchy is when you gave evidence that you wouldn't adjust on your original entry, or if you had that intent when you originally entered, or entered and shortly adjusted after entry.

If you happen to already be in the US and go 'oopsie whoopsie might as well AoS because Montreal suck' then that would be above board. As far as I can tell you'd be entirely free to AoS, though do look into the 90 day rule, but it sounds like you are coming to the end of your B2 admission period, so that wouldn't be a concern in your case. AoS cases seem to process a lot faster with an already approved I-130... so worth considering. It might just be better to return, but definitely consider all your options.

He can write emails and leave voicemails on his Rep's phone number, that should be open to do 24/7.

Hum...this gives me a lot to consider, thank you. My B2 ends July 3. I’ll try and figure out what to do this weekend...could be worth doing indeed.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dania A said:

I remember reading that a few members here are in the US on TN. Did you enter before or after you applied for CR1? I just graduated and really want to just start my career. Is there any chance for me to successfully get a TN now? I gave up an offer a few months ago because I was under the impression that I wouldn't have been able to secure it 😕 Now that things will be even more delayed, I'd like to at least try

Hey Dania,  I've actually seen this on here too..

I was actually surprised at this because our attorney had told us that a TN visa is not dual purpose visa.  In other words, if you entered on a TN visa subsequent to applying for your IR1/CR1 visa, it would void your spousal visa. (and vice versa).  

This may not be accurate -  just sharing what our attorney told us! 🥴

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Twiz&Toz said:

My husband keeps telling me to just fly down and visit till my interview.. with out a doubt we can afford it but I don’t want to take the risk to be told no flying down. Also now looking at what’s going on I feel like I got another year of waiting. 

same!! I promised my husband we'll talk about me visiting the US this month last January if I still don't have a scheduled interview by then, but given I'm DQ Sept 9th I'm afraid to go there but not have enough time to prepare for my interview once scheduled.  this waiting game has been torture! especially seeing K1's getting their interview dates for July already. I gave up hope on a June interview but it would break me if they're not gonna schedule spousal interviews for July too...

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-130 NOA1: February 25, 2020

I-130 NOA2: May 26, 2020

NVC DQ: September 9, 2020

Interview: July 2, 2021 (APPROVED!)

CR1 Visa Received: July 12, 2021

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Twiz&Toz said:

My husband keeps telling me to just fly down and visit till my interview.. with out a doubt we can afford it but I don’t want to take the risk to be told no flying down. Also now looking at what’s going on I feel like I got another year of waiting. 

I wish I could afford the $2k hotel stay upon return to Canada. I would be on the next flight out to Vegas to visit my husband. This separation is brutal, mentally and physically.

I'll probably kick myself next month for not going to visit, I have this horrible feeling that July will be no better than June

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Riversong said:

I wish I could afford the $2k hotel stay upon return to Canada. I would be on the next flight out to Vegas to visit my husband. This separation is brutal, mentally and physically.

I'll probably kick myself next month for not going to visit, I have this horrible feeling that July will be no better than June

I wish I could visit my husband but I have nothing tying me back to Canada so they won’t let me in. I’m just hoping to get an interview by December at this point...I’ve spent 3.5 weeks with him in the last year. Looks like it will be another 6 months before he can come back so here’s to another summer alone with my 3 year old 😞

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.