2,965 posts in this topic

hi everyone, I am new here.

I have been married to a us citizen since 2017 .

we filled ,went for interview and after 2 years no response.

I filled mandamus and case was denied. They said my previous divorce Decree was not authentic.

Our attorney said i should get new authenticated divorce decree and paper works from the court so he can file a motion to reconsider which i got and my wife told the attorney not to proceed just like that.

She always want me to be dependent on her

All these while  it has been series of abuse to another. Name any abuse i have been through it. I have called the police on my wife 3 times and have also been to the therapist.

She will always apologize after every assault and abuse even cheated with her ex husband.

we have been married for almost 4 years

I am writing because she is apologizing again for messing up my timeline that we should refile. I feel like she might start again after we refile.

I just found this Vawa forum.

Can someone please tell me if i have a good chance with Vawa or just refile again with her. I am very confused because i have suffered a lot.

She is still asking for forgiveness again.

Please is the Vawa process more hard than the family base. I mean which option is easier from your expereinces?

Thanks

58 minutes ago, Blaze54 said:

hi everyone, I am new here.

I have been married to a us citizen since 2017 .

we filled ,went for interview and after 2 years no response.

I filled mandamus and case was denied. They said my previous divorce Decree was not authentic.

Our attorney said i should get new authenticated divorce decree and paper works from the court so he can file a motion to reconsider which i got and my wife told the attorney not to proceed just like that.

She always want me to be dependent on her

All these while  it has been series of abuse to another. Name any abuse i have been through it. I have called the police on my wife 3 times and have also been to the therapist.

She will always apologize after every assault and abuse even cheated with her ex husband.

we have been married for almost 4 years

I am writing because she is apologizing again for messing up my timeline that we should refile. I feel like she might start again after we refile.

I just found this Vawa forum.

Can someone please tell me if i have a good chance with Vawa or just refile again with her. I am very confused because i have suffered a lot.

She is still asking for forgiveness again.

Please is the Vawa process more hard than the family base. I mean which option is easier from your expereinces?

Thanks

Sorry for what you are going through. We all have similar issues hence the forum and I’m thankful for it. I’m not a lawyer but this here seems like a great vawa case. Now is the time to file with a credible lawyer. You can forgive her if you want but at least you know if she plays with your life again you are safe. 
Vawa timeline is longer and can test your patience but I guess it’s worth it. No one loves to be stuck in limbo with no certainty of their future. 
Welcome! You’d get support from this community.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sk N said:

Good Saturday Everyone, 

I am 2020 filler, i am seeing few people getting approval from 2020 in different forum. My  case has been in initial review since april 2021, and the message is been showing "Correspondence has been received and uscis is reviewing it"... the same status updated again in June 2021 without no notification i was checking my status and saw same update. Should i expect a decision within 120 days? i am on 81 days since last update.. 

@sandranj 

Thank you ! 

Please let me know which other forums you follow for vawa. I want to keep up to date on approvals as well, I filed I360 in Nov 2019.  

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

2 hours ago, BollyB said:

Sorry for what you are going through. We all have similar issues hence the forum and I’m thankful for it. I’m not a lawyer but this here seems like a great vawa case. Now is the time to file with a credible lawyer. You can forgive her if you want but at least you know if she plays with your life again you are safe. 
Vawa timeline is longer and can test your patience but I guess it’s worth it. No one loves to be stuck in limbo with no certainty of their future. 
Welcome! You’d get support from this community.

Thanks for your encouragement and kind words I am very grateful. I am happy to be here

6 hours ago, Anujra said:

Hi @Reister

I wonder how long it took for you to receive the card (ead c31) after they changed your case status for i-360 to “card was mailed to me”.

I am currently stuck on that status. It’s been a week after they updated the case status.

I’m a 2019 october filer i-360 .

I am September Filer . It took me 10 days to get the card . 

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, Blaze54 said:

Thanks for your encouragement and kind words I am very grateful. I am happy to be here

What do you mean by she messed up your time-line? When a case is denied and you don't appeal or respond by the deadline, they can send your case to immigration court for removal proceedings. 

To check if you are on removal you can call, 

800-898-7180. 

If I were you,  I would just apply for VAWA. It's a long process yes,  but I'll take that anytime over relationships drama. 

Happy Sunday everyone! I have a student driver’s  license and I am planning to practice in driving to obtain professional driver’s license. My work permit extension is expiring this October 13,2021 and my interview is pending. Am I allowed to drive? Does anybody have a similar situation or any inputs on this? @sandranj

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, anita21 said:

hello all im silent reader. i have approved vawa feb 2021. can i still get approved for medicaid insurance ? i now make above 5k per month. will it be approved?note i have never got any insurance b4. i just need insurance now and was wondering if its a good option

I thought medicaid is for low income families. If you are single with that income I doubt you qualify. Go to your states medicaid website and you will get all the information you need. Different states, different rules.

Just curious though, what is your profession?

9 hours ago, anita21 said:

hello all im silent reader. i have approved vawa feb 2021. can i still get approved for medicaid insurance ? i now make above 5k per month. will it be approved?note i have never got any insurance b4. i just need insurance now and was wondering if its a good option

Most of the states have income threshold for you to qualify . I doubt your’s fall under that . You can get private insurance though. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Happy Sunday everyone! I have a student driver’s  license and I am planning to practice in driving to obtain professional driver’s license. My work permit extension is expiring this October 13,2021 and my interview is pending. Am I allowed to drive? Does anybody have a similar situation or any inputs on this? @sandranj

You should get all of your receipts if you applied to renew your EAD and go to your local DMV . They should be able to help you . Most of the states can request an info from USCIS to determine for how long they can give you D license . I have a friend of mine who renewed his CDL for 5 years with pending 765,485 form receipts In MD . 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
11 hours ago, anita21 said:

Why don't you get insurance from your employer?  Obamacare open enrollment is closed

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

On 9/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, Pinkrlion said:

PF has nothing to do with travel or your VAWA case.  It is a waiver to obtain benefits that is all.  

You are incorrect. Establishing a Prima Facie (PF) case is a good sign, although it does not guarantee approval, and not everyone gets it. USCIS issues a PF when a VAWA applicant has met all filing requirements. Although you can use the letter to obtain benefits, but it's not all about benefits. The key phrase here is "meeting all filing requirements." PF has a lot to do with VAWA, if not, USCIS won't be wasting their time and money issuing it.

Here is what USCIS says about PF: 

• "If you are a self-petitioning spouse or child and you meet all filing requirements, you will receive a notice (Prima Facie Determination Notice) valid for 150 days that you can present to government agencies that provide certain public benefits to certain victims of domestic violence."

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-and-parents

42 minutes ago, Princewill1 said:

You are incorrect. Establishing a Prima Facie (PF) case is a good sign, although it does not guarantee approval, and not everyone gets it. USCIS issues a PF when a VAWA applicant has met all filing requirements. Although you can use the letter to obtain benefits, but it's not all about benefits. The key phrase here is "meeting all filing requirements." PF has a lot to do with VAWA, if not, USCIS won't be wasting their time and money issuing it.

Here is what USCIS says about PF: 

• "If you are a self-petitioning spouse or child and you meet all filing requirements, you will receive a notice (Prima Facie Determination Notice) valid for 150 days that you can present to government agencies that provide certain public benefits to certain victims of domestic violence."

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-and-parents

If this were absolutely the case then people with PF won't ever be asked for RFE and we know that is not true. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.