JourneyFromA2

USPS Passport Appointment Immediately After Naturalization Oath Ceremony

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

How long do I have to wait after the Oath Ceremony to make my passport appointment?
Can I make my USPS passport appointment on the same day?

Edited by justwill

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yes, people have literally walked in to the USPS to apply for the passport after coming out of the oath ceremony.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, arken said:

Yes, people have literally walked in to the USPS to apply for the passport after coming out of the oath ceremony.

Perfect. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, justwill said:

How long do I have to wait after the Oath Ceremony to make my passport appointment?

You don’t have to wait until after oath to schedule a passport appointment 

Your is scheduled June 15.  Get a passport appointment for June 15 or June 16

Can I make my USPS passport appointment on the same day?

Sure.  

1 hour ago, arken said:

No walkins where I live.  

After my oath was scheduled, weeks before I took my afternoon oath, I scheduled my USPS passport appointment for the morning after oath. IOW I scheduled a passport appointment before I was a citizen and attended the passport appointment after being a citizen for under 18 hours.  

At the venue where I took oath, the morning oath takers got to enjoy the passport agency workers on site taking passport applications without turning over the naturalization certificates.  

So literally seconds after taking oaths people apply for passports.   

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You don’t have to wait until after oath to schedule a passport appointment 

Your is scheduled June 15.  Get a passport appointment for June 15 or June 16

Sure.  

No walkins where I live.  

After my oath was scheduled, weeks before I took my afternoon oath, I scheduled my USPS passport appointment for the morning after oath. IOW I scheduled a passport appointment before I was a citizen and attended the passport appointment after being a citizen for under 18 hours.  

At the venue where I took oath, the morning oath takers got to enjoy the passport agency workers on site taking passport applications without turning over the naturalization certificates.  

So literally seconds after taking oaths people apply for passports.   

My wife was able to take advantage of that, but she had to go to the passport agency the next day.  They copied her certificate and gave the original back to her.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, justwill said:

Thanks all!

I was able to get an appointment so USPS for the same day.

Congrats. 

Keep in mind they'll attach your certificate of naturalization to your passport application before sending it.

My husband scheduled an appointment for right after the oath ceremony. No issues.

Take a good picture of the certificate of naturalization to celebrate as you have to turn it in with the passport application, but you'll eventually get it back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 6/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, Mike E said:

This is VERY INTERESTING find. So, there are some USCIS Service centers(in your case its San Jose, CA) which got a passport application filing facility RIGHT THERE at the Oath Taking Office, where you can immediately file the passport by SHOWING(but not handing over) the original naturalization certificate? 

If so, all we need to do is to PRE-FILL the online Passport Application, print it and take it along with TWO recent Passport-Photos with you for Oath Taking Ceremony and walk back with your Naturalization Certificate and Passport Application Receipt. Please confirm that this is the right understanding.
Others: Please try this option if you are going for Oath soon.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
4 hours ago, ImmiGeek said:

This is VERY INTERESTING find. So, there are some USCIS Service centers(in your case its San Jose, CA) which got a passport application filing facility RIGHT THERE at the Oath Taking Office, where you can immediately file the passport by SHOWING(but not handing over) the original naturalization certificate? 

Correct. Understand that pre-covid, San Jose N-400 oaths were taken at a large auditorium community center in a nearby suburb (Campbell).  The passport agency would come there for the morning oaths.

4 hours ago, ImmiGeek said:

If so, all we need to do is to PRE-FILL the online Passport Application, print it and take it along with TWO recent Passport-Photos with you for Oath Taking Ceremony and walk back with your Naturalization Certificate and Passport Application Receipt. Please confirm that this is the right understanding.

Yes that is my understanding. Plus the fees of course.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:00 AM, ImmiGeek said:

Others: Please try this option if you are going for Oath soon.

They used to do this with the big ceremonies in SF (However at the one I was at you did have to hand in the naturalization certificate in the envelope), but obviously they no longer have those big ceremonies anymore and they do not take the passport applications at the FO after the oath now.  But once you have your date you can make a passport appointment at the USPS that afternoon or next morning. It’s tricky, my husband managed it the same afternoon, my daughter did not get done in time to make the same day appointment. If you go to an actual US passport agency rather than USPS you don’t  need to hand in your certificate, but my understanding is they are currently only taking emergency appointments. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

They used to do this with the big ceremonies in SF (However at the one I was at you did have to hand in the naturalization certificate in the envelope), but obviously they no longer have those big ceremonies anymore and they do not take the passport applications at the FO after the oath now.  But once you have your date you can make a passport appointment at the USPS that afternoon or next morning. It’s tricky, my husband managed it the same afternoon, my daughter did not get done in time to make the same day appointment. If you go to an actual US passport agency rather than USPS you don’t  need to hand in your certificate, but my understanding is they are currently only taking emergency appointments. 

Thank you @SusieQQQ for your attention on my above question. I am also bit skeptical about this Oath-Place-Passport shortcut. While I dont have emergency as of now, but I may have travel plans ahead. If it happens, will try the Passport Agencies option. On the other hand, If I need to go to Post office only, I may take an appointment for a day or two after the Oath, there is nothing to rush for a day. Covid killed more goodies and limited the only essentials.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
11 hours ago, ImmiGeek said:

I am also bit skeptical about this Oath-Place-Passport shortcut.

Take it up with my IO and his colleagues at my oath if you don’t believe me.  

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Mike E said:

@Mike E I didnt mean that I didnt believe you. I am always concerned if this really works or not but I will give a free hit when its my Oath turn 🙂 to check it out. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Did you have people actually verifying the certificates before you handed in the application? We didn’t so that may be why, there was just a big box for people to drop the completed applications in. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.