Fumero

Sworn Affidavit from Family Members and Friend as Rfe

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

affadavit of support is different than a sworn affidavit that is handwritten to attest to the relationship

Yes they need it notarized. It was mentioned in the Rfe

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Fumero said:

Yes they need it notarized. It was mentioned in the Rfe

Case solved, if the uscis is asking for a notarized affidavits, yes.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
33 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

affadavit of support is different than a sworn affidavit that is handwritten to attest to the relationship

OP's issue is already resolved on notarization part but just for information purpose, wanted to point out that sworn affidavits don't need to be handwritten. It can be handwritten or typed or printed. They need to be signed with wet ink by the person providing the affidavit.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

by defintion of affidavit so it can be used in court, it does

a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court.

Affidavits must always be notarized by a notary public. "Notarized" means that you have sworn under oath that the facts in the affidavit are true, the document has been signed in front of a notary public, and a notary public has signed and put a seal on the affidavit.

US notaries do not do this.  Notarization in the USA is limited to personal identification and signature validation.  Nothing regarding authenticity or truthfulness of the actual document itself.  A US notary does NOT administer an oath (nobody raises there right hand and swears anything).

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OK   I am a notary

we sign on the bottom that the affiadivit was signed in person  in front of me and all i look at is the name and address at top of petition and it is same as photo ID   i do not have to know what is written in petition but it itself can be used in a court of law

and already said affadavits from outside the US are useless as our courts have no way to enforce them as truth

the support affadivit that all petitioners sign does not require a notary as immigration has already seen Proof of who you are by zillions of documents they ask for / they have either a US birth certificate or copy of natuarlizaition papers,  your signature on petition to compare to AOS ,  your SS #,  signatures on several other papers like dl to prove residency  / so immigration does not need you to prove who you are

but a stranger signing a affadivat to attest a  certain knowledge does have to show proof to a notary or they (and i will not witness one if addresses don't match) sign

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

I'd like to see the actual wording of tbe RFE 

Yes. I doubt it was just one line asking for a sworn affidavit. Everybody knows that affidavits are not substantial evidence, so I am pretty sure that its a RFE for proof of bona fide relationship and among many other documents that applicant can send, they mention affidavits .

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

3 hours ago, Fumero said:

I have gotten an answer to my question. Thanks to everyone that contributed I really appreciate 

What some of us are trying to tell you, is that your question may not have been the right question to ask to be able to properly respond to the RFE. Did they really send her an RFE that only asks for 2 affidavits? It is very likely that they provided a list of evidence to send, and affidavits were just one option (and the weakest evidence on the list).

As I said before, please have your friend create an account and share the exact wording of the RFE, so she can get help to properly respond to it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
22 hours ago, Fumero said:

Please has anyone received an Rfe from USCIS requesting for an Affidavit from family members to show that the relationship is a genuine one and that know the couple? If yes can I get a format on how to write the letter

To answer your question: no, no one in here has received a RFE that asks for just affidavits. They usually provide you with a list of documents among which are the affidavits. Tell your friend to either make an account and post the RFE letter, or to respond to said RFE with more than just the affidavits. I did include affidavits with ALL the documents in my evidence, and I just googled a template. 
Again, make sure that you don’t just send the affidavits, otherwise you risk being denied.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Notarized is not required however it looks better to the Embassy because it becomes more official and shows you went out of your way to verify your identity. Anyone in the US could be Jane Doe petitioning for John Doe in another country 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Snowy2020 said:

Notarized is not required however it looks better to the Embassy because it becomes more official and shows you went out of your way to verify your identity. Anyone in the US could be Jane Doe petitioning for John Doe in another country 

Nonsense.  The request came from the USCIS which is not the embassy.  Any evidence submitted to the USCIS and the embassy is already covered by a condition of perjury, this is wht a  notarized statement doesn't matter. 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline
On 6/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, Fumero said:

Please has anyone received an Rfe from USCIS requesting for an Affidavit from family members to show that the relationship is a genuine one and that know the couple? If yes can I get a format on how to write the letter

According to immigration law,

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the ..relationship

(Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; his or her relationship, if any, to the petitioner, beneficiary or prior spouse; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of the relationship. The affiant may be required to testify before an immigration officer about the information contained in the affidavit.

From my own experience having submitted several sworn statements from family and friends as additional evidence for my previous marriage, you do not need to have them notarized. They only must be sworn statements under penalty of perjury, dated and signed by the third party.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.