AngelaSpadaro

Biometrics appointment far away from where I live

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Q-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello, I just got my appointment notice yesterday and it says that I'm going to have the appointment in Miami on 4/26/2021, the only problem is that I live in Jacksonville which is 6-7 hours away from Miami and right now, it's not impossible, but it's a little bit complicated to go. I was wondering if I can go to the center here in Jacksonville, without having to wait again 4 to 8 weeks. I sent everything back in August 2020 and I just got my biometrics appointment, so I don't wanna wait that long again. I read about people with the same problem and they just went to the nearest office, like a week before the appointment, and they had no problem. I really don't know what to do.

14 minutes ago, AngelaSpadaro said:

Hello, I just got my appointment notice yesterday and it says that I'm going to have the appointment in Miami on 4/26/2021, the only problem is that I live in Jacksonville which is 6-7 hours away from Miami and right now, it's not impossible, but it's a little bit complicated to go. I was wondering if I can go to the center here in Jacksonville, without having to wait again 4 to 8 weeks. I sent everything back in August 2020 and I just got my biometrics appointment, so I don't wanna wait that long again. I read about people with the same problem and they just went to the nearest office, like a week before the appointment, and they had no problem. I really don't know what to do.

If you can, try to go to your local center first and see what happens. I didn't have the exact same problem, but one of my previous biometrics appointment was rather inconvenient. I had a day off work a few days before the actual appointment, so we ended up going to see if they would take me. They tried to be like, "Oh well yes we technically can 'take' you but really, you'll have to wait and see the attendants have time between people with appointments." There was another guy there who was doing the exact same as me and he'd been waiting for hours at that point. However, he got his fingerprints done shortly after my arrival. I ended up only waiting about 30 minutes. I felt bad for that other guy 'cause he'd been waiting hours. I think they'll most likely take you in. 6-7 hours is a long time to travel just for something that only takes 5-10 minutes.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

If you can, try to go to your local center first and see what happens. I didn't have the exact same problem, but one of my previous biometrics appointment was rather inconvenient. I had a day off work a few days before the actual appointment, so we ended up going to see if they would take me. They tried to be like, "Oh well yes we technically can 'take' you but really, you'll have to wait and see the attendants have time between people with appointments." There was another guy there who was doing the exact same as me and he'd been waiting for hours at that point. However, he got his fingerprints done shortly after my arrival. I ended up only waiting about 30 minutes. I felt bad for that other guy 'cause he'd been waiting hours. I think they'll most likely take you in. 6-7 hours is a long time to travel just for something that only takes 5-10 minutes.

It is a long time to travel lol. I'm over here trying to understand why they put Miami, not even Orlando which is closer. I don't know, but I think I will try and go to the one in Jacksonville

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Did you happen to move but forgot to change address?

Anyway, all the above posters are right. I would try going to your local ASC a day or two before your actual appointment and ask if they would let you come in on the actual date and time. If they agree, maybe get a name so that the script is not flipped when you actually come back. On the day you go to ask, carry your appointment notice. MAYBE you will find them less busy and they take you in on that day. Miracles do happen 🤷‍♀️

I know someone who was supposed to do fingerprint in NJ. However, she had relocated to Houston a month prior. So, she just went and spoke to someone at the local Houston ASC and she was taken in for fingerprints here as opposed to traveling all the way to NJ. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, AngelaSpadaro said:

It is a long time to travel lol. I'm over here trying to understand why they put Miami, not even Orlando which is closer. I don't know, but I think I will try and go to the one in Jacksonville

Yeah, I would say to make an attempt at the closer one first (before the actual appointment date). I have a feeling that they'll take you. But if they don't, then make plans to travel because you absolutely don't want to miss biometrics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Missing/ reschedules of any USCIS appointment during the pandemic is costly

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

Did you happen to move but forgot to change address?

Anyway, all the above posters are right. I would try going to your local ASC a day or two before your actual appointment and ask if they would let you come in on the actual date and time. If they agree, maybe get a name so that the script is not flipped when you actually come back. On the day you go to ask, carry your appointment notice. MAYBE you will find them less busy and they take you in on that day. Miracles do happen 🤷‍♀️

I know someone who was supposed to do fingerprint in NJ. However, she had relocated to Houston a month prior. So, she just went and spoke to someone at the local Houston ASC and she was taken in for fingerprints here as opposed to traveling all the way to NJ. 

no, I filed when my address was in Jacksonville already, never lived in Miami. I will try then to go, and ask because with the pandemic and everything it's really hard to afford a trip to Miami

44 minutes ago, Timona said:

Missing/ reschedules of any USCIS appointment during the pandemic is costly

I agree, unfortunately

Timeline
1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

if they reject at the local ASC and than you miss the appointment at Miami ASC than you are looking at trouble and a possible denial 

I will go to the local ASC and see if they take me or if anything is possible, but absolutely I'm not going to miss the appointment in Miami, if I need to go there. 

Edited by AngelaSpadaro

Years ago I was scheduled for ASC in eastern part of IN even though I lived couple of miles from Chicago border. Ended up going to the one closer to me vs hours on the road. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
36 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Years ago I was scheduled for ASC in eastern part of IN even though I lived couple of miles from Chicago border. Ended up going to the one closer to me vs hours on the road. 

I don't wanna makes things complicated but it's for real better for me to do it closer. I will try to go to the one in Jacksonville and see

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
4 hours ago, AngelaSpadaro said:

I don't wanna makes things complicated but it's for real better for me to do it closer. I will try to go to the one in Jacksonville and see

Did you called and asked why you got scheduled for Miami if there are even 2 closer ones? You should for sure call after biometrics are done.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Did you called and asked why you got scheduled for Miami if there are even 2 closer ones? You should for sure call after biometrics are done.

You mean call the USCIS? I just don’t want them to reschedule the appointment and wait for 8 weeks again. Tomorrow I’m going to the ASC here in Jacksonville and see what they said

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 hours ago, AngelaSpadaro said:

You mean call the USCIS? I just don’t want them to reschedule the appointment and wait for 8 weeks again. Tomorrow I’m going to the ASC here in Jacksonville and see what they said

If your ASC is like the ones around here, they will not let you in the door without an appointment due to pandemic protocols.  

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, AngelaSpadaro said:

Yea but after you got your biometrics done you might want to figure that out before the interview. Or are there only ASCs closer and no field offices?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.