GregandNatty

Beware of Fake Attorney Duke Walker offering a Quick Fix

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am an admin for a sub-Saharan Africa VISA Facebook Group and ran across a guy recently that was offering to fix the issues with the lack of interviews for a $2,000 fee.  He promised resolution inside of 21 days.  He claimed to be an immigration attorney. 

Since I've been in the IR1/CR1 process for nearly 2 years, I PM'd the guy and actually even asked for a phone meeting and an engagement letter.  My wife and I are getting a bit desperate, so I bit.

First red flag was this guys profile picture,  and website pictures, was clearly of a very Caucasian person, but on the phone he had a very heavy accent that wasn't European.  He cut the call short and said we would make more headway on whatsapp and email.   

Second red flag was this guy sent me the engagement letter and it looked very Amateur.

Still holding out some hope this guy was legit, but also not wanting to just throw away $2,000, I decided to do some research.  So, I took a few hours one morning really researched this guy.   Here is what I found:

1.  His website https://visaofficeofdukewalker.com/ was registered in January of 2021, but he claims he has been in business doing immigration law since 2002.

2.  This guy said he was licensed in the state of Texas to practice law.  I did a query of the Taxes bar association and did find a Duke Walker, but this man is 67 years old.  The person in the picture on his website is very clearly in his 40s.  I confronted the person with this information and he told me he is Duke Walker Jr and Duke Walker, Senior, is his mentor and adopted dad so he took on the name.  Yes, pretty dicey, but possible.  However, there is not other Duke Walker registered with the Texas State Bar to practice law nor in any other state in the US.

3. This person lists on his website that he is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).  I went to the AILA website and queried their member database and this person is not a member of this organization.

4. This person lists a couple phone numbers on his website.  One for him and another for his "assistant"  (331) 248-1865.  I did a reverse search of this phone number and came up with this twitter account https://twitter.com/templ_beatz.    This twitter account was used to peddle some kind of phone service or phone cards.  This picture is what I captured on the twitter account when I first found it.  I confronted this individual with this picture from this account since I'm 99% sure this is the guy who is trying to pretend to be an immigration attorney.  Incidentally this guy deleted the twitter account as can be seen if you click on the link I provide above. 
 image.thumb.png.661328be65720732d66c0af732750b48.png  

Beware of this guy and don't fall for something that is too good to be true.  As I've shown here, it is too good to be true.   I know we are all desperate for our cases to be resolved, but don't fall for a guy like this who is just playing on our need for some answers and progress.  

Edited by GregandNatty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just relax. Hopefully, you will get a call from embassy soon.

Why's your case taking 2+ years?

People come up with fake but convincing websites. I have a friend who has such in Kenya. He even convinced me. It was only after I visited Kenya in 2019 that I came to find out of his doings. Thank goodness I hadn't transacted business. 

You know you can easily get American phone numbers and use them while outside the US?  So don't be convinced with them. 

Another red flag I saw was "text only" on his website.

Take a screenshot of the guy on the website and reverse search. You'd be surprised. 

Recently someone offered to sell me an IPhone 12 pro for $250. He even told me how to transfer the money. I already knew it was a scam. I reverse-searched the profile only to find it's a well know comedian. I still played along with the scammer because I was bored. 

Be careful. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Yup, and for those reading:  no attorney (even a legitimate one) can speed up or impact the time/process/outcome of a visa or petition decision.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Timona said:

I am relaxed.  My case is taking 2+ years because of the COVID pandemic.  

People come up with fake but convincing websites. I have a friend who has such in Kenya. He even convinced me. It was only after I visited Kenya in 2019 that I came to find out of his doings. Thank goodness I hadn't transacted business. 

You know you can easily get American phone numbers and use them while outside the US?  So don't be convinced with them. 

There is much more going on with this guy than this.  He took the time to find a retired attorney and is using his name and bar registration to try and trick people into thinking he is a real attorney.   Here is the real Duke Walker:  http://www.dukewalker.com/Home

This thief has thought this out.  He took the time and money to create a very believable website.   

Did you even open the website?  The fake picture of the guy fills up the entire first page. 

Take a screenshot of the guy on the website and reverse search. You'd be surprised. 

I did this.  It produced no significant results. 

Edited by GregandNatty

Timeline

Yes. I did open the website and read the whole thing up to even "text only on  Whatsapp".

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It sounds as though he's committing UPL (unauthorized practice of law).

Because it involves immigration, it may even be a Federal crime.

He absolutely needs to be reported, along with your findings, to every possible agency.

Start with his local police department, if you know where he is, or the State Police.

Even if you yourself aren't 100% sure about him, the investigating agencies will get to the bottom of it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I am going to reporting the website to the Texas bar association.  I am a licensed engineer and so I know the state agencies take licensing issues pretty seriously. They will certainly go after the registered owner of the website since it will be one of practicing law without a license.   

I honestly don't have the energy to do much more than this.   I may try and call the real Duke Walker since it appears he still has an office in Texas. 

I wanted to post a warning here so that perhaps it will prevent this guy from taking advantage of people just trying to complete the immigration process.

Timeline
54 minutes ago, GregandNatty said:

image.thumb.png.0dedce2b98d3101c7e45c4c2bd3ef3f3.png

Open it on mobile. It's different.  That's what I used. Funny thing I just noticed. He's "licensed" in Texas but officed in Louisiana..🤔

BTW, I'm an Engineer too. What type of Engineering do you practice?

Screenshot_20210305-215019_Chrome.jpg

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

You're doing a great public service by telling us here and by the reporting that you're planning.

I think that the real Duke Walker will be exceptionally appreciative, if you call him.

Let us know of further developments.  We need more threads like this.

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 hours ago, Timona said:

Recently someone offered to sell me an IPhone 12 pro for $250. He even told me how to transfer the money. I already knew it was a scam. I reverse-searched the profile only to find it's a well know comedian. I still played along with the scammer because I was bored. 

Be careful. 

This guy is operating a scaam from the prison😂😂 you should know people.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
12 hours ago, GregandNatty said:

I am an admin for a sub-Saharan Africa VISA Facebook Group and ran across a guy recently that was offering to fix the issues with the lack of interviews for a $2,000 fee.  He promised resolution inside of 21 days.  He claimed to be an immigration attorney. 

Since I've been in the IR1/CR1 process for nearly 2 years, I PM'd the guy and actually even asked for a phone meeting and an engagement letter.  My wife and I are getting a bit desperate, so I bit.

First red flag was this guys profile picture,  and website pictures, was clearly of a very Caucasian person, but on the phone he had a very heavy accent that wasn't European.  He cut the call short and said we would make more headway on whatsapp and email.   

Second red flag was this guy sent me the engagement letter and it looked very Amateur.

Still holding out some hope this guy was legit, but also not wanting to just throw away $2,000, I decided to do some research.  So, I took a few hours one morning really researched this guy.   Here is what I found:

1.  His website https://visaofficeofdukewalker.com/ was registered in January of 2021, but he claims he has been in business doing immigration law since 2002.

2.  This guy said he was licensed in the state of Texas to practice law.  I did a query of the Taxes bar association and did find a Duke Walker, but this man is 67 years old.  The person in the picture on his website is very clearly in his 40s.  I confronted the person with this information and he told me he is Duke Walker Jr and Duke Walker, Senior, is his mentor and adopted dad so he took on the name.  Yes, pretty dicey, but possible.  However, there is not other Duke Walker registered with the Texas State Bar to practice law nor in any other state in the US.

3. This person lists on his website that he is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).  I went to the AILA website and queried their member database and this person is not a member of this organization.

4. This person lists a couple phone numbers on his website.  One for him and another for his "assistant"  (331) 248-1865.  I did a reverse search of this phone number and came up with this twitter account https://twitter.com/templ_beatz.    This twitter account was used to peddle some kind of phone service or phone cards.  This picture is what I captured on the twitter account when I first found it.  I confronted this individual with this picture from this account since I'm 99% sure this is the guy who is trying to pretend to be an immigration attorney.  Incidentally this guy deleted the twitter account as can be seen if you click on the link I provide above. 
 image.thumb.png.661328be65720732d66c0af732750b48.png  

Beware of this guy and don't fall for something that is too good to be true.  As I've shown here, it is too good to be true.   I know we are all desperate for our cases to be resolved, but don't fall for a guy like this who is just playing on our need for some answers and progress.  

Thank you for this. 

Thank you for sharing this. 

I agree with others, please report him and also contact the real Duke Walker. 

I browsed the website for a bit, and the elaborate lies are crazy. Using the name of a lawyer in Texas, claiming to be a member of the State Bar of California, while having an office in Louisiana... Also, he claims he can only do phone consultations in the morning so he can spend the afternoon on "case preparation and court matters". Funny that US afternoons, when he can't be reached, are nighttime in Africa!

Plus he seems to believe that the proper visa for the spouse of a USC is a K-3...

Again, thank you for sharing this. Hopefully people who are considering working with him will find this information before making any payments. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Even if you report this guy to US agencies/authorities, chances are there's not much they can do as he is obviously based somewhere outside the US.  This scam reminds me of an academic journal that charged a "publication fee" of $500 per submission and accepted any manuscript sent in via email only, and some of my faculty fell for the fraudulent scheme.  The fake digital "journal" even used names of real professors in the US listed as editor and on the editorial board on a very professional-looking website, but when one of my faculty contacted the professors listed to ask if the journal was legit they knew nothing about it.  I reported this to various US agencies and our university attorney tried to do something, but all we could discover was that the scam journal was based somewhere in Eastern Europe.  So fraud like this thrives in the online/digital environment.  So thanks for posting and people, beware of these scams, they are everywhere!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.