Amberose

Is K1 a good enough exemption to leave Australia?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello.

My fiance had his K1 visa approved, and his interview has been scheduled 2 weeks from now (which he needs to reschedule since he doesn't have all his paper work completed yet with his medical).

My question is, does anyone know if him getting approved after his interview count as a good enough exemption for him to leave the country?  I know that he has up to 6 months after interview approval to leave, and that it can be extended if needed, but is everything on hold even with K1 to just leave?  Even one way?

Also, if anyone has been able to get out, how have you guys been getting your families involved from Australia?  I've been planning this for almost 2 years now, and the rona has obviously been a major problem.  I'm trying to get his parents, sister, and two friends to be in our wedding or at least attend in Hawaii, since their cases are low and its isolated.  How have you all been handling this, trying to get your families to attend?  I saw that a funeral would be a good enough reason to be able to leave, but what about a wedding?  Are there steps I can take to make this possible sometime this year?

Thanks!

Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

Yes, emigrating is a good reason for the exemption request.

Thank you!  Do you happen to know if his immediate family and few friends would be allowed out to attend the wedding?  Even if there are specific quarantining instructions, I'm open to all options!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

He should keep the interview as scheduled and the CO will put the case in AP while they wait for medical papers / CEAC will say refused but it is just in waiting time

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Yes, that is what I fear... I would feel absolutely awful if they couldn't get back...

It's a struggle.  I'm hoping someone may have personal experience to help, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.. Dumb virus!

Edited by Amberose

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Amberose said:

Yes, that is what I fear... I would feel absolutely awful if they couldn't get back...

It's a struggle.  I'm hoping someone may have personal experience to help, but at this point, I'm not holding me breath.. Dumb virus!

There was personal experience mentioned in that report:

Julie Green has been stuck in Uganda since June last year, when a work contract in the country expired. She and her husband have been unable to secure a flight home since, as a result of repeated cancelled flights and the exorbitant ticket prices the arrivals caps have generated.

Must admit if my Brother wanted me to attend his wedding and I would then need to quarantine for 2 weeks at great expense it would be thanks but no thanks.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There was personal experience mentioned in that report:

Must admit if my Brother wanted me to attend his wedding and I would then need to quarantine for 2 weeks at great expense it would be thanks but no thanks.

Yes, noted.  I'm hoping due to the island location, lack of cases, and the reason requested for travel, I may be able to make it work out okay.  Thank you!

I'm trying to get him to gather information before the interview as well so he has all he needs to ask the right questions about travel for himself and see if they can get out as well.  Since it is a few months off still, I'm hoping there may be some change for the better.... HOPING...

Timeline

Well you are a few months of your interview, 6 months from the medical to use it plus 90 days so that could well be 2022 and I would not like to guess where we will be by then.

23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

so that could well be 2022

*late 2021 at the latest

The K-1 interview is in "2 weeks from now."

3 hours ago, Amberose said:

(which he needs to reschedule

IMO, he should still go on that day. The CO can issue 221g while waiting for the results from the Panel Physician.

6 hours ago, Amberose said:

Also, if anyone has been able to get out, how have you guys been getting your families involved from Australia?  I've been planning this for almost 2 years now, and the rona has obviously been a major problem.  I'm trying to get his parents, sister, and two friends to be in our wedding or at least attend in Hawaii, since their cases are low and its isolated.  How have you all been handling this, trying to get your families to attend?  I saw that a funeral would be a good enough reason to be able to leave, but what about a wedding?  Are there steps I can take to make this possible sometime this year?

With Australian travel restrictions being what they are, and with thousands of Australians stranded abroad, it doesn't seem like a good idea for your fiancé's family to travel internationally any time soon.

As a backup plan, you may want to consider having the Australia-based family members attend via Zoom. Safer, less expensive and zero risk of them being stranded abroad. Apparently there are wedding planners and videographers who now offer Zoom packages, to make the experience more special, as opposed to just having someone's phone on for the entirety of the ceremony/reception.

Timeline

Hi Amberose, congratulations on getting an interview date (finally). I wanted to share our experience with exemptions.. we’ve applied 4 times for my fiancé and 2 times for me, reasons stretching from us to get married to mental health suffering since not being able to see each other to him visiting his home country (England) to visit his elderly Nan that isn’t in the best health, and they were all declined. Based on that experience, just my opinion, it doesn’t seem like they’re warranting “marriage” or anything relationship based as compassionate enough reasoning. However, all you can do is try! The form on their AU.gov website is pretty straight forward and easy to fill out. Sending you all the well wishes! 

Question for you, if you would be willing to share. I noticed on your timeline that your NOA2 was in May of 2020 - why was there such a delay to get the interview not scheduled until 2 weeks from now? I’ve heard the horror stories of the longest wait times ever... but that seems overly aggressive. Do you have any insight you could share? 

much appreciated! 

20 hours ago, Amberose said:

Hello.

My fiance had his K1 visa approved, and his interview has been scheduled 2 weeks from now (which he needs to reschedule since he doesn't have all his paper work completed yet with his medical).

My question is, does anyone know if him getting approved after his interview count as a good enough exemption for him to leave the country?  I know that he has up to 6 months after interview approval to leave, and that it can be extended if needed, but is everything on hold even with K1 to just leave?  Even one way?

Thanks!

You’ll have no issues leaving Aus with K1..

your family on the other hand have no exemption for them to take a vacation to attend a wedding at this point and there’s little indication as to when they might be able to.. you may want to consider a lawful wedding here with your family and then a ceremony back home in Aus at a later date once restrictions are lifted.. 

Hubby will have no problems getting back into Aus since Aus has been accepting its own citizens and residents throughout the whole corona thing but affording it is another issue.. 3k for quarantine per person and flight have shot up in price, you will not be able to go with until restrictions are lift. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline

Sorry, meant to add that you might double check on if he has to have the medical completed to attend the interview. Might be tough to reschedule. I believe he could go ahead with the interview portion and if accepted it will go into pending medical status, then once that is sent in shortly thereafter will complete and approve. 

From what I’ve been seeing on other discussion threads and the AU exemption page, immigration is an accepted form of exemption for travel since he won’t be returning to Australia. You should have no trouble with that at all. It’s his family members leaving that will not work. 

On 2/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, Amberose said:

Thank you!  Do you happen to know if his immediate family and few friends would be allowed out to attend the wedding?  Even if there are specific quarantining instructions, I'm open to all options!

Australian citizens stranded overseas have been waiting to return for almost a year so I wouldn't count on it honestly. People have talked about getting bumped off flights they've booked to return home. We've decided to have two weddings: the official, legal, wedding and the wedding we want to have. We'll have that one when we're through the other side of the pandemic. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.