Montrealy

A few questions about my interview

27 posts in this topic

I have my AOS interview next week at the NYC office. A few questions-

1. The interview letter says not to bring kids (I think due to COVID). Is that a hard and fast rule? I once heard that bringing your kid adds legitimacy as its the best proof you can have, right there in front of you. Any truth to that?

2. I am a Canadian and do not have an I-94 for when I entered. Am I supposed to get one somehow or will the interviewer know that I don't need it?

3. The letter says to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the appointment time. However, i've read that it can take much longer to get into the building. What gives? Should I arrive early and try to get in so i'll be on time to the interview?

4. The letter says I should bring "originals and copies of each supporting document submitted with the application". What exactly is included in "supporting documents"? Is that a reference to only the official documents, like passports and birth certificates, or does it include everything I submitted, like photo evidence and wedding invite? if the latter, why do I have to bring those things if I already submitted them and there is no authentication concern like passports etc.?

Thanks 

2. I-94 are usually available online, did you search for yours?

1. If they ask you to not bring kids, then don't bring yours. If they wanted to see them, they would ask...

27 minutes ago, Montrealy said:

I have my AOS interview next week at the NYC office. A few questions-

1. The interview letter says not to bring kids (I think due to COVID). Is that a hard and fast rule? I once heard that bringing your kid adds legitimacy as its the best proof you can have, right there in front of you. Any truth to that?

2. I am a Canadian and do not have an I-94 for when I entered. Am I supposed to get one somehow or will the interviewer know that I don't need it?

3. The letter says to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the appointment time. However, i've read that it can take much longer to get into the building. What gives? Should I arrive early and try to get in so i'll be on time to the interview?

4. The letter says I should bring "originals and copies of each supporting document submitted with the application". What exactly is included in "supporting documents"? Is that a reference to only the official documents, like passports and birth certificates, or does it include everything I submitted, like photo evidence and wedding invite? if the latter, why do I have to bring those things if I already submitted them and there is no authentication concern like passports etc.?

Thanks 

1. If they say, "Don't bring kids", don't bring them. Not a good look to ignore the requests of federal agents who will determine your fate in the US. Kids are only one form of evidence of bonafide marriage, not the end-all-be-all. Child-free couples have their own reasons for being child-free. That doesn't make their relationship any less legitimate. The interviewing officer considers the totality of evidence.

2. If you entered by air, you should be able to look it up online. Google "CBP I-94" and enter your info and print it out.

3. We got to our office about 30 minutes early but this was long before COVID. It CAN take longer to get inside, but with COVID, it's hard to say. If the security guard says you guys have to wait, then you guys can just wait outside until you're allowed in.

4. Photoshop and image-manipulation software have been around for a long time. Makes sense that law enforcement officers may want to confirm the legitimacy of any submitted documents. Anything and everything is a possible authentication concern.

Edited by mushroomspore

5 minutes ago, Montrealy said:

1. Got it

2. It comes up as unavailable on the website. I can get the traveler record, but not the actual i-94.

2. Bring what you get ("unavailable" result and the available record)

Just now, Montrealy said:

Thanks @Lemonslice

@Jorgedig Good point.

@mushroomspore I entered by land and the online system does not have an i-94 for me (only the full travel record)-what do I do?

Also, you're saying I need to bring an original of every single thing I submitted. Correct?

Hmm, okay if you entered by land, then I'm not sure how you can get the I-94. I've heard Canadians have this issue when entering by land. Sorry I don't have the answer for that. I'd at least print the travel history. And yes, take the originals of everything and bring any other evidence you may not have submitted (your personal photo albums and anything else you can think of). Better to be over-prepared than under.

1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

2. Bring what you get ("unavailable" result and the available record)

Got it, makes sense.

1 minute ago, mushroomspore said:

Hmm, okay if you entered by land, then I'm not sure how you can get the I-94. I've heard Canadians have this issue when entering by land. Sorry I don't have the answer for that. I'd at least print the travel history. And yes, take the originals of everything and bring any other evidence you may not have submitted (your personal photo albums and anything else you can think of). Better to be over-prepared than under.

Thanks for your help.

19 minutes ago, Montrealy said:

One more question for you guys-

The letter says I have to bring a certified copy of my marriage license. Is that in addition to the original or a substitute for it?

The original IS a certified copy.

25 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

The original IS a certified copy.

I’m confused. I have an original, that says “certificate of marriage”. I also have a certified copy (which I got from city hall, for immigration) that says “transcript of marriage”. The rest of both documents are the same, raised seal and all. Should I ditch the copy and go with the original?

2 minutes ago, Montrealy said:

I’m confused. I have an original, that says “certificate of marriage”. I also have a certified copy (which I got from city hall, for immigration) that says “transcript of marriage”. The rest of both documents are the same, raised seal and all. Should I ditch the copy and go with the original?

When in doubt, take everything. What state are you in? I know states differ in how exactly they do things. In CA, we only have the one original copy with the raised seal and that's the only copy we took to our interview. My understanding is that the raised seal is what matters because that signifies that it is the original and recorded by the proper registrar or your local equivalent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Montrealy said:

Should I ditch the copy and go with the original?

A sheet of paper doesn't weigh anything. Carrying both if you are unsure doesn't hurt anything. Same with the copies they are requesting of every document. Many times they don't need those which have been submitted in the original petition but then it doesn't hurt to carry redundant copies along. You want this to be a one shot and finished thing, not go without stuff and get your application bogged down with an RFE because you did not carry something you cold have along.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.