Montrealy

A few questions about my interview

27 posts in this topic

We had our AOS interview yesterday. We arrived about 20 minutes before our interview and had no issues getting in the building. Once we arrived we had to 'check in' at a window and I had my biometrics taken again (photo and 2 finger prints). We then waited for our interview, which started only about 5 minutes after our appointment time. I would arrive 15-20 mins early and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

We took originals of birth certificates, passports, marriage certificate (I also took originals of some of the I-944 documents, e.g. education certificates). I also had a copy of absolutely everything we submitted originally, and also extra evidence collected since we submitted (joint bank statements, photos, tax info, etc). If you don't have something they're asking for (e.g. I-94), as someone said above just take whatever you do have (passport with entry stamp / traveler record). 

Just follow their instructions and you'll be fine! Best of luck!

Concurrent filing(I-130/I-485) packet sent via UPS - 08/04/2020

Packet received at USCIS - 08/07/2020

Checks cashed - 08/22/2020

NOA1s dated - 08/25/2020

NOA1s received - 08/31/2020

I-693 Deficiency Notice received - 09/21/2020

RFE for I-944 received - 11/17/2020

I-944 response to RFE delivered to USCIS - 11/24/2020

Biometrics - 12/22/2020

Status for I-485 changed to 'ready to schedule interview' - 12/31/2020

Status for I-485 changed to 'Interview was scheduled' - 01/05/2021

AOS Interview - 02/03/2021

AOS status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced' - 02/03/2021

Reviewed I-130 and I-485 approval letters - 02/07/2021

Greencard received - 02/11/2021

I-751 mailed to Phoenix PO Box via USPS - 11/7/2022

I-751 received at USCIS - 11/8/2022

Text notification received - 11/10/2022 (SRCXXXXXXX)

Check cashed - 11/15/2022

Received extension letter - 11/19/2022

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, Montrealy said:

I have my AOS interview next week at the NYC office. A few questions-

1. The interview letter says not to bring kids (I think due to COVID). Is that a hard and fast rule? I once heard that bringing your kid adds legitimacy as its the best proof you can have, right there in front of you. Any truth to that?

2. I am a Canadian and do not have an I-94 for when I entered. Am I supposed to get one somehow or will the interviewer know that I don't need it?

3. The letter says to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the appointment time. However, i've read that it can take much longer to get into the building. What gives? Should I arrive early and try to get in so i'll be on time to the interview?

4. The letter says I should bring "originals and copies of each supporting document submitted with the application". What exactly is included in "supporting documents"? Is that a reference to only the official documents, like passports and birth certificates, or does it include everything I submitted, like photo evidence and wedding invite? if the latter, why do I have to bring those things if I already submitted them and there is no authentication concern like passports etc.?

Thanks 

1. The interview letter says not to bring kids (I think due to COVID). Is that a hard and fast rule? I once heard that bringing your kid adds legitimacy as its the best proof you can have, right there in front of you. Any truth to that?

Answer: You can probably have a family or friend with the kids, waiting outside the building with a smart phone for video call (if there is a need at all in the course of the interview). You keep your phone turned off or silent mode, when you enter. They scan everything. We left our phones in the car, as we didn't have any such situation , neither any third party to be involved. But I don't think that there is any strict policy of no-phone. 

3. The letter says to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the appointment time. However, I've read that it can take much longer to get into the building. What gives? Should I arrive early and try to get in so i'll be on time to the interview?

Answer - I had my interview on the 25th January in Charleston, SC. They don't let you in early, because of Covid-19. Just be there few minutes or 10 minutes and wait outside. It doesn't take much to check-in. Every office might have different protocols, but due to Covid-19 situation, they won't let you in, until its just 15 minutes to your scheduled appointment.

4. The letter says I should bring "originals and copies of each supporting document submitted with the application". What exactly is included in "supporting documents"? Is that a reference to only the official documents, like passports and birth certificates, or does it include everything I submitted, like photo evidence and wedding invite? if the latter, why do I have to bring those things if I already submitted them and there is no authentication concern like passports etc.?

Answer : The officer did not ask us for any original document, only passports and drivers' licenses. However, you are required to carry. Some officers can randomly ask for documents, especially birth certificate, or employment/payroll/bank related documents. It does include everything. We carried all the original documents of whatever we submitted, plus new documents , like W2 from 2020, new insurance policies, new power bills, etc. In fact the officer praised us that we were over prepared (we had 4 big bags with everything possibly we could think of ), he said sometimes the immigration officers can ask for it. 

Just relax, do your part, and enjoy the process. The officers might sound intimidating in the beginning, they are just doing their job and just focus on the questions. The officer asked questions from I-485, I-944, and how we met, how long we have known each other, describe the wedding ceremony, who attended, how many people attended. Pretty much from our life. He asked me one tricky question about I-944 or to say, a very hypothetical question wrt I-944. He was fine with my answer. We all ended up laughing and joking towards the end. I almost felt like hugging the officer :). But I reminded myself, he is still a federal employee and Covid is still a big issue.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, Montrealy said:

@mushroomspore I am in NY, going to the NYC office.

@Regdkp Did you file after February 24, 2020? I filed before so the i-944 should not apply to me. I'm assuming interviewers are not bringing it up with people who filed before?

Yes, we filed in April, 2020. You should be okay, since you didn't have to file I-944. It was standard question for me. How much money, I have in my own saving/checking/stocks/bonds etc. Basically, I said the same ballpark amount I had mentioned in the application. Have I ever taken any public benefit from this country, ever worked illegally here or legally here etc. One tricky question he asked me, "What would I do if my husband won't sponsor me?". I was like (in my head) ... umm ... isn't that the whole basis of the application ... I replied, "If it was not for my husband, I wouldn't be here, and also if I was allowed to work legally, while AOS is pending, I would have earned money". He said, "OK".  

Due to mask/plexiglass , at times, it was not easy to understand every word of the question, so we asked the officer to repeat the question. We were glad to have such an awesome officer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

For our interview we've arrived 15 minutes before our interview and just made it in time. The line to get to the building was about 10 people deep, but it took them about 15 minutes to process everybody. So we were cutting it short.

If I were you, I would arrive 20 to 30 minutes before your time.

Hey, a few more Qs for you guys before our interview tomorrow. 

1. Do copies of documents need to be in color or is black and white ok?

2. Is there a place on this site that people post reviews of USCIS centers and their interview experiences there? I know there is for embassies/consulates but cna't find for USCIS.

3. Technically, I meet the support guidelines but may still fall short. (I'm below 250% and I went back to school this year, though our current income is still close to the minimum and our assets more than make up for the deficiency.). I will have an affidavit on hand from a joint sponsor who will definitely pass, but he doesn't want me to hand it in unless it's needed. My question is, will the interviewer tell me my I-864 didn't pass and give me the opportunity to submit the joint? Or will he/she potentially not tell me and just reject it post interview? 

Thanks for your help 

2 hours ago, Montrealy said:

Hey, a few more Qs for you guys before our interview tomorrow. 

1. Do copies of documents need to be in color or is black and white ok?

2. Is there a place on this site that people post reviews of USCIS centers and their interview experiences there? I know there is for embassies/consulates but cna't find for USCIS.

3. Technically, I meet the support guidelines but may still fall short. (I'm below 250% and I went back to school this year, though our current income is still close to the minimum and our assets more than make up for the deficiency.). I will have an affidavit on hand from a joint sponsor who will definitely pass, but he doesn't want me to hand it in unless it's needed. My question is, will the interviewer tell me my I-864 didn't pass and give me the opportunity to submit the joint? Or will he/she potentially not tell me and just reject it post interview? 

Thanks for your help 

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, Montrealy said:

I have my AOS interview next week at the NYC office. A few questions-

2. I am a Canadian and do not have an I-94 for when I entered. Am I supposed to get one somehow or will the interviewer know that I don't need it?

3. The letter says to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the appointment time. However, i've read that it can take much longer to get into the building. What gives? Should I arrive early and try to get in so i'll be on time to the interview?

Thanks 

Hi,

Congrats on your interview being scheduled and good luck! I too just got an update two days ago that my "interview has been scheduled". Can you please tell me how long it took to receive your letter in the mail from the time you got an update on your case, and how long from the update and/or the interview notice was the interviewer scheduled for? My husband had a trip planned for the end of this month,  so it'd be really helpful if I had an estimate ahead of time to make appropriate adjustments. I'm in NY as well and based on my location, I'm sure my interview still be at the NYC office. 

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Stylish said:

Hi,

Congrats on your interview being scheduled and good luck! I too just got an update two days ago that my "interview has been scheduled". Can you please tell me how long it took to receive your letter in the mail from the time you got an update on your case, and how long from the update and/or the interview notice was the interviewer scheduled for? My husband had a trip planned for the end of this month,  so it'd be really helpful if I had an estimate ahead of time to make appropriate adjustments. I'm in NY as well and based on my location, I'm sure my interview still be at the NYC office. 

Thanks

It took about 10 days to get the letter, and the interview was scheduled for about 5 weeks after that. 

Just now, Montrealy said:

It took about 10 days to get the letter, and the interview was scheduled for about 5 weeks after that. 

Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate your time and assistance. If you don't mind me asking, how did the interview go? Did you take your child with you? Also, do you think it's necessary to take our 2020 tax returns? We haven't filed yet.

Again, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Stylish said:

Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate your time and assistance. If you don't mind me asking, how did the interview go? Did you take your child with you? Also, do you think it's necessary to take our 2020 tax returns? We haven't filed yet.

Again, thank you. 

My interview was pretty easy. We were barely asked for anything we brought, and just the standard questions. We didn’t bring our baby, though I saw others that did. Seems like it’s not a big deal in the NYC office, so I’d say it depends on you and your baby. If you can’t find a babysitter then it’s probably ok, but if your baby is the type to to get antsy it’s not a good idea as the wait can be substantial (an hour or more). I was asked for my most recent return, and I gave my 2020, though I probably could’ve given my 2019 instead. But again, all depends on your location and your interviewer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.