Monolini

Cr1 or k3, online wedding?

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my first post. I'm an European (Polish) living in the UK and my fiancé is from US. In December I've travelled to the US (for the 3rd time) and the CBP denied me entry, they also cancelled my ESTA so I can't go to the US anytime soon, at least not till I have a tourist visa, which won't happen anytime soon since the US embassies in the UK are closed due to corona. Considering all this we decided to get married ASAP, we wanted to do it anyway this year but now we are even more pressed to do it since we don't can't stand to live apart anymore. Due to my fiancé's work, he can't visit me in the UK for more than 2-3 day twice a year. We were thinking about online wedding when he comes here since destination wedding is out of the question - I already contacted several places in Jamaica, Dominica, Aruba, Antigua, etc and you have to be present over there for at least 3 days to get married, it's not possible for us. I was wondering if any of you could advise what other options we might have. The chances of me getting a tourist visa after being denied entry are slim to none, waiting for k1 - this will take at least 1,5 years because of the backlog, how about k3? Did any of you did this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm just broken at the moment. I don't know what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Unless Biden resurrects the K-3, it is not an option.  Only 5 were issued last year world-wide.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Unless Biden resurrects the K-3, it is not an option.  Only 5 were issued last year world-wide.  

The death of K3 was caused first, by NVC policies, and then a couple years ago USCIS policy was instituted to kill the K-3 in the infant stage instead of adolescent stage.  Even so, online weddings must be consummated prior to starting ANY spouse visa process.  An online wedding that is supposedly in the USA, would not work for a K3 even if resurrected, as one MUST interview in the country of marriage, and there are no US visa interviews IN the USA. 

Forget K3, and forget starting ANY spouse visa process based on a proxy or online marriage until after it has been consummated.  (Evidence of being together in person after the wedding is "consummation" in this context.)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

even if resurrected, as one MUST interview in the country of marriage, and there are no US visa interviews IN the USA.

That requirement is specifically for a marriage that "occurs" outside of the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-k-3.html "If the marriage took place in the United States, the NVC will send the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issues visas in the foreign-citizen spouse’s country of nationality."

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html

Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would be inclined to wait until he gets more vacation, 4 to 6 days a year?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

58 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The death of K3 was caused first, by NVC policies, and then a couple years ago USCIS policy was instituted to kill the K-3 in the infant stage instead of adolescent stage.  Even so, online weddings must be consummated prior to starting ANY spouse visa process.  An online wedding that is supposedly in the USA, would not work for a K3 even if resurrected, as one MUST interview in the country of marriage, and there are no US visa interviews IN the USA. 

Forget K3, and forget starting ANY spouse visa process based on a proxy or online marriage until after it has been consummated.  (Evidence of being together in person after the wedding is "consummation" in this context.)

We will get married in the UK when he will be here in May so we will both be present and the marriage will be consumated

2 hours ago, Monolini said:

I already contacted several places in Jamaica, Dominica, Aruba, Antigua, etc and you have to be present over there for at least 3 days to get married, it's not possible for us.

Costa Rica would let you fly in, have a notary marry you in the airport parking lot, and fly out the same day if you were really in a rush.  Only documents required is your passports.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

That requirement is specifically for a marriage that "occurs" outside of the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-k-3.html "If the marriage took place in the United States, the NVC will send the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issues visas in the foreign-citizen spouse’s country of nationality."

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html

Yes, you're correct.  K3 has been dead for a decade, so I forgot that little detail.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Monolini said:

He won't. That's the problem. That's why it was me travelling to the US not other way around. 

Anyway, we are going to hire an immigration lawyer to help, there has to be some option 

Actually, there does NOT "have to be" some option you like, or that fits HIS job situation.  USCIS and Dept. of State do not adapt to you.  YOU adapt to the law.  Any qualified immigration attorney will tell you the same.  See for yourself.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

2 hours ago, Monolini said:

We will get married in the UK when he will be here in May so we will both be present and the marriage will be consumated

You do know that he needs a special visa to get married in the UK? Even though you're not a UK citizen? Even though he doesn't plan to settle in the UK? It's not straightforward like it is in the US where you can just rock up with your IDs, get a license and get married within a few days. It takes a LOT of planning and more than one visit by him (you will have to go together to the register office for example, and then wait until you can get married for a lot longer than 2-3 days). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Maybe Poland would be easier?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Maybe Poland would be easier?

Gibraltar gets mentioned a lot recently. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.