Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Specter said:

Ans 1: You do not need India's Police clearance. The website says you only need new police clearance for the country that you are currently living in.

Ans 2: Assuming you will have your interview in March, you won't need new Canada Police Clearance as PCC is valid for 1 year.

Hi 

Can you please clarify: I will only need Canadian police clearance for the interview but I will need Police clearance from all the countries I lived previously (2) while filling out DS-260? Am I correct? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Hi 

Can you please clarify: I will only need Canadian police clearance for the interview but I will need Police clearance from all the countries I lived previously (2) while filling out DS-260? Am I correct? 

Welcome. 

Please review this site regarding civil document requirements...

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

Forgive my ignorance but are interviews scheduled on first come first serve based on dq date? Or do they pick and choose from various dates? I’ve peeked at the spreadsheet and it looks like it’s in order but I see some that seemed to have jumped the queue a bit. Thanks in advance for the answers 

Timeline
1 hour ago, State and Maine said:

Forgive my ignorance but are interviews scheduled on first come first serve based on dq date? Or do they pick and choose from various dates? I’ve peeked at the spreadsheet and it looks like it’s in order but I see some that seemed to have jumped the queue a bit. Thanks in advance for the answers 

On the date outliers you note, the cells typically have attached comments about an expedited case. 

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
21 hours ago, Emilini said:

Hey all, I've noticed several people have posted about how, during their interview, they were asked whether they've ever been denied entry at the border.  This makes me nervous because I have been denied 2x - both because I didn't have the right paperwork (1. no student visa for a weekend class in the States and 2. no i797 stating the beginning of the cr-1/ir-1 process when coming to visit my husband).  Both times I returned later with the appropriate documentation and was let in.  I have always been truthful when asked about these 2 denials and never had an issue.  

I guess my question is whether anyone else has ever in the past been denied entry and whether this was an issue in getting approved for permanent residence.

I have been denied once at the airport for not showing proof of ties to Canada but was let in after coming back with proof and documentation they requested. I have disclosed this denial in our application. I wonder if I will be questioned about it further during my interview.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

Thank you Hawk Riders :)

Timeline
20 minutes ago, ameena1423 said:

Just an update:

I crossed at POE to activate my IR-1 Visa on January 10th.

I got my SSN on January 19th and my Green Card on January 22nd.

Wow those are amazing delivery times.  Congratulations ❤️.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, ameena1423 said:

Just an update:

I crossed at POE to activate my IR-1 Visa on January 10th.

I got my SSN on January 19th and my Green Card on January 22nd.

Oh wow that's fast! Congratulations!! 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:46 PM, Nikasalts said:

Congratulations, great to see something moving and people getting reunited with their loved ones. 

Since I'm quite new to the process can you please explain how are you able to stay in US and only fly for the interview? Are you visiting?

I have my I130 in process, but perspective of being separated for another year or so is heartbreaking to say the least. 

Different person here but in the case of my wife and I, for the past couple years we've just bounced between the countries every 6 months so that neither of us is overstaying and we don't have to spend time apart. But we work remotely so the situation is also vastly different than the "norm." If you're in a similar situation, though, you should have zero issues moving between the two countries. Worst case is you get pulled into secondary checks (happens pretty often for me but they let it go after, usually pretty quickly).

Timeline
On 1/24/2021 at 12:46 AM, Nikasalts said:

Congratulations, great to see something moving and people getting reunited with their loved ones. 

Since I'm quite new to the process can you please explain how are you able to stay in US and only fly for the interview? Are you visiting?

I have my I130 in process, but perspective of being separated for another year or so is heartbreaking to say the least. 

It really depends on your CBP officer and your CBSA officer. It also depends on whether or not you and your spouse are Canadian/US Citizens or if one or both of your are permanent residents. And it also depends on whatever travel bans both countries are about to put in place these coming weeks. If your Canadian employer will allow you to work remotely, you could stay for the maximum amount of time before your provincial health insurance expires (if that applies in your region) or before the B2 visa (the stamp in your passport at the time of entry) expires. Note that the 6 months is a cumulative amount over a 12 month period, so if you go in January, stay for 3 months, come back in April, then go back in June, you won't be able to stay until December - your stamp (visitor visa) would expire in August. It's something that very few people can manage in these economic times - the person above said they are lucky because both they and their spouse can work remotely and go back and forth. I can work remotely at my husband's house in Houston, but my husband is a frontline worker who cannot. Also, I am moving with my child and cannot leave my child in Canada for 6 months at a time. 

You MUST be able to show your ties to Canada, though. As long as you can demonstrate that you have something that ties you here (a job, a mortgage or lease, etc.), you shouldn't have any issues going to the US. If you have nothing to tie you to Canada (you rent an apartment without a lease, you're self-employed, etc.) the CBP may deny you entry. That doesn't mess up your application, but if they deny you at the airport, don't turn around and try again on the same day by driving across the border. (Not that you can do that during COVID anyway...)

The good news about this whole COVID situation is that video communication has massively improved. It isn't the same, but there are many people in the same town who can't see each other in person because of COVID. I speak with my husband every day, just like we live together. It helps. Love conquers all! ❤️ 

Timeline
1 hour ago, CGs_Mother said:

You MUST be able to show your ties to Canada, though. As long as you can demonstrate that you have something that ties you here (a job, a mortgage or lease, etc.), you shouldn't have any issues going to the US. If you have nothing to tie you to Canada (you rent an apartment without a lease, you're self-employed, etc.) the CBP may deny you entry. That doesn't mess up your application, but if they deny you at the airport, don't turn around and try again on the same day by driving across the border. (Not that you can do that during COVID anyway...)

I broke this cardinal rule. Sold my house and belongings and quit my job in June, thinking I would have my interview in the coming months. Got across the border and my six months went by quick so in December me and my wife decided to come to Canada to visit family for Christmas and then head back to the states shortly after the new year. Bad idea... was taken into secondary in Toronto and had to withdraw my application to enter the USA on grounds of no ties. Anyway we had a trip booked to Jamaica and met there for a week since they have direct flights from Toronto I was able to go without landing stateside... now we wait until the interview which looks like it’ll be April/may if all goes accordingly. Moral of the story: don’t give up ties until you’re absolutely sure you have an interview soon. Ps: Jamaica is beautiful

Edited by State and Maine
Revision

Timeline
22 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

On the date outliers you note, the cells typically have attached comments about an expedited case. 

@Hawk Riders will it be possible to add the comments in a cell? since we're on "View Only" google sheets doesn't show any comments.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, NimF said:

@Hawk Riders will it be possible to add the comments in a cell? since we're on "View Only" google sheets doesn't show any comments.

...fixed

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Canada.gif

Timeline
2 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

Note that the 6 months is a cumulative amount over a 12 month period, so if you go in January, stay for 3 months, come back in April, then go back in June, you won't be able to stay until December - your stamp (visitor visa) would expire in August.

This is not true. You're quoting the IRS substantial presence tax rule. Each time you're granted entry to the US, you're generally allowed to stay up to 6 months per visit. It is, however, up to the border agent's discretion to let you in or reduce your 6-month allowance if they doubt your intention to visit/length of stay. You can read about this extensively in the FAQ under "General FAQ."  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.