Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, T&S_MTL said:

Thanks. This is what I had in mind last month but it looks like they just sent way less interviews letters than the last month. 🤞And congrats to everyone who received one 🎉😃 feels good to see it's moving forwards for some of us 🙂

They actually sent out quite a few letters today, but covering fewer dates.  There were many people DQ’d in May/June.  It thins out after beginning of June.   

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do we get to schedule the visa appointment or do they give you a date?  I haven't received an interview email/letter today but I should be soon because I DQ'd on June 3rd.  My issue is that we are presently in the usa and I will need to quarantine and get the drs appointment and all that before the interview.

Also, I am presently working with a R1 work visa (i129).  Do I need to cancel this before I get my ir/cr-1?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Cath&Claire said:

They actually sent out quite a few letters today, but covering fewer dates.  There were many people DQ’d in May/June.  It thins out after beginning of June.   

Is this just from the self reported data in the spreadsheet? 

In the spreadsheet there are color-coded groups in the IL and Interview columns estimating the interview letter dates, does anyone know where these estimates are based off of? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, RadCad said:

In the spreadsheet there are color-coded groups in the IL and Interview columns estimating the interview letter dates, does anyone know where these estimates are based off of? 

Hawk riders logic 

7 hours ago, fxch3 said:

Hi everyone! 

For all the spouses that are separated due to COVID-19, I actually travelled to the States while waiting for my interview. I also applied for the I-539 (extension to stay) while I was there. Here's how the process went: 

DQ: May 29, 2020 

Aug 5, 2020: My husband (US citizen) flew to YYZ to visit me for 3-4 weeks. He didn't have much of a problem, the officer just asked him the following:

• Why are you travelling (A: To visit my wife, she is a Canadian citizen. In July, they've allowed immediate families to visit so I wanted to take this opportunity since I haven't seen her in over 10 months)
  • Do you have documentation for the marriage: (A: Yes - he showed our marriage licence (copy), my passport (copy), drivers licence  (copy)and citizenship card (copy)) 
  • How long are you visiting: (A: 3 weeks returning date is Aug 23, 2020 and he showed him the return ticket)
  • Address where you are quarantining and they gave him info on the quarantine act. Upon getting to YYZ, they asked the same questions and it was a quick process. 

Aug 23, 2020: My husband (US Citizen) and myself (Canadian citizen applied for IR1) were travelling to LAX from YYZ. Travelling to America was the hardest thing ever, they stopped us and we got to the gate 1 min before closing.This all happened at YYZ and keep in mind it is my fault for not having enough information while flying - so take your chances. They could have said no but the officer said I'll let you stay for your birthday but you have to leave by Dec 1, 2020. 

• I got pulled aside because I was travelling with 3 suitcases (My goal was to stay there for 4 months)
  • Why are you travelling? (A: I am going to live with my husband for 4 months, here's the marriage certificate)
  • Do you know you aren't supposed to travel? (A: Yes but I thought I can visit my husband? I'm exempt from the travel ban)
  • Are you planning to live there or stay for a short time? (A: I am only staying there for 4 months, I am returning Jan 2021) 
    • At this point, they pulled us into that Custom & Border room to visit an officer. Another officer called us up and asked us a bunch of questions and proofs.
  • Have you applied for an immigrant visa? (A: Yes, IR-1 I am currently DQ and waiting for my interview. I have to return to Canada to complete my interview. But regardless of that, I work for a Canadian company that knows I am going to America for 4 months and will return. 
  • What's your I-130 number. I don't see you applied for any visa on my end? (A: PANIC MODE - I had to show him my NVC account, DS-260, i-130. For some odd reason when he scanned my passport it did not pop up that i filled an application online. It was a horrible stressful experience of trying to log into my account to try to find my digital i-130 that was mailed to our house in California. Thankfully my mother in law had the I-130 that showed ACCEPTED.)
  • What's the NVC number? USCIS number? 
  • Where are you living?
  • What is the proof you are returning (A: I have a job at a Canadian company but didn't have an official letter from my company that I needed to return. I don't have a mortgage under my name so I had no proof I was returning.)
  • What do you do? What does your husband do? (A: XYZ told him this and I think he asked us how much we make to ensure it wasn't a part-time job and had some type of potential to return back. Even then he said no you can't travel)
  • After much begging and back and forth he said I will give you a travel visa until Dec 1, 2020 - you better come back to Canada before this date. 
  • We ran to our gate which was about to leave in 1 minute. 

Oct 2020: I applied for the i-539 (extension of a visa stay), I applied for an extension until May 2021 because I thought my interview would have been in April 2021. I completed the bio-metrics in Nov, 2020. When I called the embassy the lady said that, if the custom border officers show up at my house to tell me I am overstaying, I can show them the i-539 receipt and biometrics date and just let them know I am waiting for an approval which can take up to 6 months. At that time, it is their decision to either 1. let me stay and wait for the final decision or 2. Notify me I must leave. I never got to that stage since I knew my IL would come some time in January so I flew to YYZ on Jan 7, 2021. 

Jan 7, 2021: I flew from LAX to YYZ. They never asked me about my visa or extension. They just told me I had to quarantine and call a number every day. 

Jan 18: Received IL for Feb 17, 2021

**please do not take the risk of travelling unless you have proof of returning. I got lucky but it was not worth the stress of knowing they could say no at any time** 

Question for you, I’m DQ’d Aug 11, and hoping to have a interview by April. You mentioned an extension of stay in the US, the I-539. How exactly does that process work? Just send me a private message if you can. 

20 minutes ago, RachaelMcCorm said:

Question for you, I’m DQ’d Aug 11, and hoping to have a interview by April. You mentioned an extension of stay in the US, the I-539. How exactly does that process work? Just send me a private message if you can. 

I am wondering the same. Based on what I can tell it costs around $500 to even file for that. Trying to decide if I'm driving from Texas to Canada next month or if we can stay here (wife's 6 months ends the middle of Feb and we were DQd last August). If we go back to Canada we are forced to crash with family since we couldn't afford two places, so it's preferred to stay here State-side...

Timeline
42 minutes ago, RadCad said:

You can see on the spreadsheet the interviews that were scheduled and count how many per month. It’s like 23-28  - and it’s a good indication of where the consulate is at in the process. You can also see how many are DQ’d per month and guesstimate going forward.   

Timeline

My Wife Lives with her Parents and that is Where we intend to stay after immigration. The House is in name of her Father and Brother. Also, her father is a co-sponsor on our application. Is it enough to show the house ownership papers as a proof of domicile? I am already bringing everything else including 1040 for both of them, W2s, Bank Statements, etc.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Cath&Claire said:

You can see on the spreadsheet the interviews that were scheduled and count how many per month. It’s like 23-28  - and it’s a good indication of where the consulate is at in the process. You can also see how many are DQ’d per month and guesstimate going forward.   

Thanks! I figured the self-reported data was too small of a sample size to estimate off of, but seems like it was spot on this month(unless it was updated after the fact?).

Random question: Does anyone here on the forum have advice on what to do with their Canadian pension plan before moving to the USA? I work healthcare in Ontario and have a HOOPP pension plan. Feel free to direct me to the right forum on this topic as well. I couldn't find anything! Feel free to personal message me 😃

Timeline
31 minutes ago, baba90 said:

Random question: Does anyone here on the forum have advice on what to do with their Canadian pension plan before moving to the USA? I work healthcare in Ontario and have a HOOPP pension plan. Feel free to direct me to the right forum on this topic as well. I couldn't find anything! Feel free to personal message me 😃

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Sparkie said:

I am wondering the same. 

11 hours ago, RachaelMcCorm said:

You mentioned an extension of stay in the US, the I-539. How exactly does that process work? Just send me a private message if you can. 

https://www.visajourney.com/sitesearch/?cx=partner-pub-3407508467788263%3A9725800110&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=i-539&sa=Search 

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

Hi VJ fam. SO happy to see the new interview letters come out!

Update on our case: It's now been 5 weeks post husband's interview and still no sign of any updates on his visa. I'm not really sure what's still causing the hold up. I've been emailing them, but continue receiving the same automated response of "case in admin process". The Consulate hasn't requested ANY documents from us since his interview (they only needed the medical). I'm now thinking this hold up is due to my husband being a Canadian PR and of Indian nationality as this might warrant further checks. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience/delay being a Canadian PR? Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. We're still staying strong and hanging in there. Hoping things turn around for us soon! ❤️

Timeline

Hey guys, when I registered my appointment, since the DS-260 number field was not required I just didn't fill that in. But now I'm wondering, is that going to screw something up? Unfortunately I can't seem to go back and add it after completing the registration. Feeling anxious about this.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

Hi VJ fam. SO happy to see the new interview letters come out!

Update on our case: It's now been 5 weeks post husband's interview and still no sign of any updates on his visa. I'm not really sure what's still causing the hold up. I've been emailing them, but continue receiving the same automated response of "case in admin process". The Consulate hasn't requested ANY documents from us since his interview (they only needed the medical). I'm now thinking this hold up is due to my husband being a Canadian PR and of Indian nationality as this might warrant further checks. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience/delay being a Canadian PR? Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. We're still staying strong and hanging in there. Hoping things turn around for us soon! ❤️

ahhh no! if that's the case then I am in the same boat 😐 I have an Indian passport with Canadian PR too... Let me know what you hear!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.