Mylilelar1

Quarantining in Narita Japan on connecting flight from Philippines to the US?

58 posts in this topic

I tried to get on the Japan forum to post but it just didn't happen so here I am. I have tried various search words to find out if my wife coming from Manila to America has to quarantine for 14 days in Japan on her connecting flight. All I keep seeing is the same thing "All visitors entering Japan must quarantine 14 days" and so on. I would think that if one stays in the terminal and took their COVID test that they could continue on but I cannot find anything definitive especially with the new variant of the virus. 90% of searches I find are from March to June of 2020.

Thank you !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Here's a link to the current information. As long as she arrives from a level 2 country, she can Transit on current documents. Read all the information.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/201227/

Doesn't look good for her, as CDC says they are level 4..

COVID-19 in the Philippines - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4: COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC.

And us embassy gives them a level 3 currently, so she cannot enter Japan. Time to find a new flight. Or at the minimum contact the airlines.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Timeline

It would be best to talk to the airlines and if they let your wife board her flight in the Philippines, then she's good to go.

In any case, here is some info from ANA Airlines. As long as there is no change in airports and the transit time is short, then your wife should be fine imo. She's not entering Japan and just staying at the airport in the shortest time possible.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200501/

Travelers connecting to an international flight

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections.
However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.

• Transferring between Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) and Narita International Airport
  • Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita International Airport the following day
  •  

Also...

North America/South America/Hawaii

Each state in the United States requires that you wear a mask or a face mask that covers your mouth and nose at the airport.
See the website of each airport for further details.

Passengers traveling to New York

Starting September 30, 2020, travelers are required to complete a Traveler Health FormOpens in a new window.In the case of an external site,it may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. that includes information on voluntary quarantine and destination for 14 days after arrival in New York. Failure to fill out a health form may result in penalties.

Passengers traveling to Los Angeles

Local authorities in Los Angeles require international passengers of any nationality aged 16 or over to submit a Traveler FormOpens in a new window.In the case of an external site,it may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. before entering the United States.
Any failure or refusal to submit this form may result in a fine.

13 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Here's a link to the current information. As long as she arrives from a level 2 country, she can Transit on current documents. Read all the information.

COVID-19 in the Philippines - COVID-19 Very High - Level 4: COVID-19 Very High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC.

And us embassy gives them a level 3 currently, so she cannot enter Japan. Time to find a new flight. Or at the minimum contact the airlines.

14 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Thank you both for the replies on this. Her medical exam was September 22, She had her interview on October 24. With all the caveats the embassy had us to prove that her ex husband had died including photos, funeral directors information, death certificate and a photo of the tombstone and him in the casket>>>>>the embassy stated that they needed to make phone calls to verify all information and 6 weeks later she got her visa packet with her visa on December 22. And the visa expires on March 22. I've got 11 weeks to get her out of there somehow/someway. And with this new variant of the virus it's even more troubling.

27 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

It would be best to talk to the airlines and if they let your wife board her flight in the Philippines, then she's good to go.

Oh, I wouldn’t trust that method at all. These forums have a number of stories recently of people allowed to board the first leg of a flight and hit problems in the transit airport. Best to find out for sure from the proper authorities before she leaves. The pasted info you posted seems reliable.

Edited by SusieQQQ

20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Oh, I wouldn’t trust that method at all. These forums have a number of stories recently of people allowed to board the first leg of a flight and hit problems in the transit airport. Best to find out for sure from the proper authorities before she leaves. The pasted info you posted seems reliable.

Yes ! I am going to triple verify absolutely everything.My wife is very concerned.Imagine leaving Manila and then having to quarantine in Tokyo in a strange country where she doesn't know the language. ALONE. Our original plan was for for me to travel to the Philippines and bring her back.

I still have to verify this, but I don't believe I am allowed into the Philippines now because the United States is now on the list because of the new variant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
49 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

Except that that might be a problem.  About 2 weeks ago, a fiance left Morocco headed toward the US.  When he stopped to get a connecting flight in Madrid, he was stopped and sent back to quarantine for 2 weeks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It wouldn't make sense for her to quarantine In Tokyo since shes obviously not "visiting" there and only stopping for a connecting flight.  

58 minutes ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

It wouldn't make sense for her to quarantine In Tokyo since shes obviously not "visiting" there and only stopping for a connecting flight.  

But most of what I:read From December 28 and 29th is "upon entering Japan, all travelers must quarantine 14 days" .

So what you say makes sense, but in these days, a lot of things makes sense but don't come out that way. This is why I must study the above links I was sent and then be aware they could change daily.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

But most of what I:read From December 28 and 29th is "upon entering Japan, all travelers must quarantine 14 days" .

So what you say makes sense, but in these days, a lot of things makes sense but don't come out that way. This is why I must study the above links I was sent and then be aware they could change daily.

Yes, do study and hopefully your fiance isn't stuck in that situation.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Thank you both for the replies on this. Her medical exam was September 22, She had her interview on October 24. With all the caveats the embassy had us to prove that her ex husband had died including photos, funeral directors information, death certificate and a photo of the tombstone and him in the casket>>>>>the embassy stated that they needed to make phone calls to verify all information and 6 weeks later she got her visa packet with her visa on December 22. And the visa expires on March 22. I've got 11 weeks to get her out of there somehow/someway. And with this new variant of the virus it's even more troubling.

Sounds like a definite issue. Can you find another country for her to transit thru. Taiwan has been my go-to if possible, they don't seem to care about anything and let you roll thru with little issues. You have 11 weeks, so maybe come January 15th if they don't extend the travel ban ( who knows, they probably will because they will panic from the Christmas and new year jump in cases. The fear mongering by the media makes other countries think the world is ending). But, you can wait until then and see, then make the decision, or find another route.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

17 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Sounds like a definite issue. Can you find another country for her to transit thru. Taiwan has been my go-to if possible, they don't seem to care about anything and let you roll thru with little issues. You have 11 weeks, so maybe come January 15th if they don't extend the travel ban ( who knows, they probably will because they will panic from the Christmas and new year jump in cases. The fear mongering by the media makes other countries think the world is ending). But, you can wait until then and see, then make the decision, or find another route.

I've been looking all morning. Japan 14 days, INC, South Korea 14 days She's worked in Dubai for 30 years but if she goes back there it's a 21 day quarantine.And according to last night from her on television Americans can't enter the Philippines now. And everything I see online Up to December 29 said Philippines was considering banning Americans so it looks like it happened. Hong Kong also 14 days. Thanks for the tip on Taiwan and I will check it out.

I just took a cursory look at extending her visa and OMG, we may have to submit another DS — 260.  They've already admitted they forgot to follow up on some items while we waited for months. Does anyone have any experience on a time line from the request of an extension on a visa and when it actually happened?

Thanks to everyone here that has been giving me good advice.

5 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Does anyone have any experience on a time line from the request of an extension on a visa and when it actually happened?

The embassy does not extend visa validity, as it is tied to the medical exam date.  You can only request for a visa re-issue if your wife is not able to enter the US before her visa expires.  If the embassy approves your request for re-issue, your wife will need to repeat her medical, and pay the visa fee again.  The timeline for re-issue will be at the embassy's discretion.

I strongly recommend you exhaust all options to get your wife to the US before her visa expires, instead of going through the re-issue route that has no guaranteed timeline.  @flicks1998 has an even tighter schedule to fly in his fiancee.  He may have advice for you regarding flight options.

4 hours ago, xyz12345 said:

In any case, here is some info from ANA Airlines. As long as there is no change in airports and the transit time is short, then your wife should be fine imo. She's not entering Japan and just staying at the airport in the shortest time possible.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200501/

Travelers connecting to an international flight

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections.
However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.

• Transferring between Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) and Narita International Airport
  • Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita International Airport the following day
  •  

It really seems to me that as long as she is not leaving the transit lounge she will be fine as far as Japan is concerned, it seems very clear that this is not considered “entry into Japan”. Surely there is an official Japan Covid site somewhere that you can refer to to confirm the airline information above? Or does she have to change airports and that is what makes it a problem?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Does anyone have any experience on a time line from the request of an extension on a visa and when it actually happened?

Visas cannot be extended.  A consulate has the complete discretion to re-issue if they determine the holder could not travel (beyond their control).  You would require a new medical, and possibly more.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.