Mylilelar1

Quarantining in Narita Japan on connecting flight from Philippines to the US?

58 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife traveled from Manila to the US with a stop in Narita back in September with no quarantine. I have seen plenty of other people say they have done the same since then. Back then the information was also confusing, but I contacted the airline to confirm.

1 hour ago, Adventine said:

Plenty of excellent advice already in this thread.

But to avoid all the stress and hassle, as well as the risk of travel restrictions suddenly changing between now and the travel date, why not just get a direct/nonstop flight Manila-Los Angeles or Manila-San Francisco, then a domestic flight to the final destination? May be more expensive but worth the peace of mind to get your wife on US soil without passing through a third country.

I assumed there were no direct flights from how OP described his flight search but absolutely agree if there are direct flights to the US she should take them, even if it means she needs to connect within the US. Gets around many potential complications. 

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It really seems to me that as long as she is not leaving the transit lounge she will be fine as far as Japan is concerned, it seems very clear that this is not considered “entry into Japan”. Surely there is an official Japan Covid site somewhere that you can refer to to confirm the airline information above? Or does she have to change airports and that is what makes it a problem?

I looked into direct flights and bypassing Asian airports. So far....good luck. Guam/no quarantine as long as she stays in the airport and same with Honolulu. Manila,Guam,Honolulu and LAX I believe. There may be other options besides LA. the main thing is just to get her here with ZERO quarantine. As far as I have found YET,no non-stop I have found from Manila to anywhere in USA> Not to say there is not....just haven't found them yet.

3 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

I looked into direct flights and bypassing Asian airports. So far....good luck. Guam/no quarantine as long as she stays in the airport and same with Honolulu. Manila,Guam,Honolulu and LAX I believe. There may be other options besides LA. the main thing is just to get her here with ZERO quarantine. As far as I have found YET,no non-stop I have found from Manila to anywhere in USA> Not to say there is not....just haven't found them yet.

What website are you using? I just did a quick search on flights.google.com and found this. Plenty of options for other dates too.

Screenshot_2021-01-02-08-35-47-842_com.android.chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Adventine said:

What website are you using? I just did a quick search on flights.google.com and found this. Plenty of options for other dates too.

Screenshot_2021-01-02-08-35-47-842_com.android.chrome.jpg

Excellent. I was using Priceline.Cheaptickets and Delta. Soooooo many out there.

I've used Cheaptickets for 9 years. Evidently they do not cover what I need. Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Excellent. I was using Priceline.Cheaptickets and Delta. Soooooo many out there.

I've used Cheaptickets for 9 years. Evidently they do not cover what I need. Thanks again.

Some airlines don’t allow their routes to be shown on websites that compare fares. Possibly that is what has happened here. 

12 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

You're welcome :) I hope your wife's travel goes smoothly. I recall your previous posts about the struggles to obtain her visa.

You may have already found this function on Google Flights, but in case you want to compare prices, see the Price Graph highlighted in yellow below. Gives you an estimate how much the fares are, day to day.

image.thumb.png.13b054f7443f38fcd3607fd0bad71796.png

17 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Except that that might be a problem.  About 2 weeks ago, a fiance left Morocco headed toward the US.  When he stopped to get a connecting flight in Madrid, he was stopped and sent back to quarantine for 2 weeks.

That's because Spain is part of Schengen, and the US is banning Schengen countries right now. 

18 hours ago, Mylilelar1 said:

I tried to get on the Japan forum to post but it just didn't happen so here I am. I have tried various search words to find out if my wife coming from Manila to America has to quarantine for 14 days in Japan on her connecting flight. All I keep seeing is the same thing "All visitors entering Japan must quarantine 14 days" and so on. I would think that if one stays in the terminal and took their COVID test that they could continue on but I cannot find anything definitive especially with the new variant of the virus. 90% of searches I find are from March to June of 2020.

Thank you !

Travelers connecting to an international flight

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.

https://www.jal.co.jp/ph/en/info/travelalerts/flysafe/flights-service/quarantine-immigration/#toDom05

Don't listen to the other posters on this thread. Go to the source and find out yourself. Since your wife is not entering Japan, she will not pass through immigration if she stays in the international terminal. There was a guy on here whose wife did Manila->Japan->Dallas in Dec 2020 with zero issues. 

Sure, if OP really wants the route Manila-Tokyo-US city for some reason, it's possible right now. 

But why go with that option when there are direct/nonstop flights from Manila to the US? This option eliminates any risk of dealing with future travel restrictions related to the transit country, gets the wife on US soil ASAP, and gives OP some peace of mind. 

Why make things harder than they have to be?

Edited by Adventine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.