Mylilelar1

Quarantining in Narita Japan on connecting flight from Philippines to the US?

58 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2021 at 11:26 PM, Mylilelar1 said:

I tried to get on the Japan forum to post but it just didn't happen so here I am. I have tried various search words to find out if my wife coming from Manila to America has to quarantine for 14 days in Japan on her connecting flight. All I keep seeing is the same thing "All visitors entering Japan must quarantine 14 days" and so on. I would think that if one stays in the terminal and took their COVID test that they could continue on but I cannot find anything definitive especially with the new variant of the virus. 90% of searches I find are from March to June of 2020.

Thank you !

No quarantine required.  I sent you a PM with a ton of details on Japan.  Please dont publicly post as its a paid subscription service.  If you need other countries, such as Turkey or Qatar, let me know. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Also, alot of times it doesnt come down to the country and what restrictions they have.  Since you can connect through Japan there is no problem.  The problem I have found is, are there flights and is there space on those flights.  In Aug/Sept period this past year, we were able to get most of our expats back to China, but the problem really wasnt getting the special COVID visa they needed, it was finding a flight that was actually flying or wasnt cancelled or wasnt changed to a different date.  I think we had 5 different flights opened and booked for each expat as within a day or two of one flight it would be cancelled or moved.  We finally got them all back, but the hardest part was really getting them on a flight. 

Japan is on the travel ban right now with the Philippines and if it remains on that, even if flights are listed, they may not fly.  It will come down to confirming with the airline a day or two before the flight.  Qatar and Turkey are not on the ban yet.  

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

51 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Personally can’t stand Delta, but like everything else about this people have different opinions.

I fly whatever has the best route for me and shortest time in the air and best layover times in each airport to catch my next flight with the best price.  Only thing I will not fly is anything with the word "China" in their name or land anywhere in China.  Hong Kong isn't really China so I will make an exception for that layover, but try to avoid Hong Kong as well.

Delta is by far the most popular airline coming from and to USA, PAL is close second but the only go like to LAX, SFO, and JFK.

For me flying from DFW we don't have any direct flights to PHilippines, I usually fly American Airlines to Japan and onto Manila,  but have used Delta many times and they have a ton of flights going to Asia,  Korean Air I have takes as well not bad at all.     Only bad flight I ever had was AirChina many years ago.

1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

I agree that Narita is awesome.  We usually from DFW-Narita-Taipei.  We much prefer international flights as compared to domestic hops.  We stay away from the west coast connections.

Have you seen the pouring beer dispenser they have in the sky lounges?  And the food is outstanding

Beer Pouring Machine @ Delta SkyLounge in Tokyo Narita Airport - YouTube

24 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Japan is on the travel ban right now with the Philippines and if it remains on that, even if flights are listed, they may not fly.  It will come down to confirming with the airline a day or two before the flight.  Qatar and Turkey are not on the ban yet.  

Sounds like another reason to book a direct flight to the US and connect domestically. Who wants to find out a day or two before the flight that you need to reschedule on a different route/airline? 

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sounds like another reason to book a direct flight to the US and connect domestically. Who wants to find out a day or two before the flight that you need to reschedule on a different route/airline? 

Same opinion, all the uncertainty just makes the direct/nonstop flight options much more attractive.

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sounds like another reason to book a direct flight to the US and connect domestically from there. Who wants to find out a day or two before the flight that you need to reschedule on a different route/airline? 

Exactly, I have always recommended direct flights during this COVID period, however only PAL flies direct from the Philippines to the US.  Since the US is on the travel ban until at least Jan 15 (probably longer) I am not sure what kind of schedule PAL will be flying.  They may reduce flights, stop flying like they did to the UK until end of Feb, or something else.  If PAL is flying normally (at least COVID normal) then 100% the PAL flight should be used.  But the ban just started today (Jan 3rd) so nobody knows how PAL will change their schedule. 

38 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

No quarantine required.  I sent you a PM with a ton of details on Japan.  Please dont publicly post as its a paid subscription service.  If you need other countries, such as Turkey or Qatar, let me know. 

I am gonna keep you on the short list when I travel back to Philippines.

As of now I am waiting for them to lift the : Liqour Ban, Lockdowns, and get rid of all the curfews before I even think about traveling back there.

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Quarantining in Narita Japan on connecting flight from Philippines to the US?

I don't know how much has changed since Aug '20, but we had zero issues bringing my filipina wife from Singapore through S. Korea (on Korean Air) and going through immigration in Atlanta. 

Just from what we ran into, Delta and Korean Air had a lot less canceled and changed flights compared to most of the other airlines we were looking at. Landing on the east coast was high on my list because I wanted to be at the airport where she entered the U.S. She also said her flight was great. Decent food, good service and only one person per row so she flipped up the armrest and could lay down.

Not sure if this is any help to you, but good luck! 

Emirates could be a safer bet as it transits thru Dubai, which is not on the ban list and has a more definitive requirement (a negative CV19 test up to 96 hours before departure from Dubai). A transit visa is also not required as long as the connection is within 24 hours and the passenger will stay at the airport. It's a longer journey but they have comfortable seats and good food.

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 1/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, Mylilelar1 said:

I tried to get on the Japan forum to post but it just didn't happen so here I am. I have tried various search words to find out if my wife coming from Manila to America has to quarantine for 14 days in Japan on her connecting flight. All I keep seeing is the same thing "All visitors entering Japan must quarantine 14 days" and so on. I would think that if one stays in the terminal and took their COVID test that they could continue on but I cannot find anything definitive especially with the new variant of the virus. 90% of searches I find are from March to June of 2020.

Thank you !

Take this with a grain of salt, but my mother travelled from Indonesia to Houston, with a layover in Narita for about 4 hours. There wasn’t any restrictions at all in the airport, like a regular layover. She got to Houston on 29th of December, plenty of time to celebrate New Year with us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 8:12 AM, justwill said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but my mother travelled from Indonesia to Houston, with a layover in Narita for about 4 hours. There wasn’t any restrictions at all in the airport, like a regular layover. She got to Houston on 29th of December, plenty of time to celebrate New Year with us.

Thanks. I booked a ONE WAY from Manila to San Francisco for $598 instead of a connector at Narita. Evidently>>>>>only Philippine airlines offers this. At least what I found.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, Loren Y said:

And us embassy gives them a level 3 currently, so she cannot enter Japan. Time to find a new flight. Or at the minimum contact the airlines.

I just flew Manila->Narita->Los Angeles last week with my wife. We landed in an international airport in Japan but did not enter Japan (pass through immigration). No issues. We didn't need a transit visa or COVID test. We had a 2 hour layover and continued on to the States. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.