R1CH1991

London CR1 / IR1 Appointment Updates

2,714 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, S&R2019 said:

In my experience you will not get more than an automated message telling you they are working through a huge backlog and current restrictions are preventing them from holding interviews.

To me this is insane, there has to be some why that this can get the attention of someone. Contacting your prime minister would do something right? I honestly don't know who I would contact in the US to help out. I am willing and ready. I as many of you just cant sit here and wait day by day while nothing is moving. something needs to get done. as stated earlier this is a paid service and with time lines. Honestly there has to be something more then an automated message, or am I thinking too deep into this. Stop me if I am getting carried away. 

3 hours ago, Lucky4George said:

To me this is insane, there has to be some why that this can get the attention of someone. Contacting your prime minister would do something right? I honestly don't know who I would contact in the US to help out. I am willing and ready. I as many of you just cant sit here and wait day by day while nothing is moving. something needs to get done. as stated earlier this is a paid service and with time lines. Honestly there has to be something more then an automated message, or am I thinking too deep into this. Stop me if I am getting carried away. 

I don't think that our PM will be able to expedite anything as this is a US embassy issue.  Most of those who have had K1 visa issues have had to join class action law suits in the US to try to get their visa issuances granted (I can't remember the group law suit name). My wife has even written to her equivalent of a local MP in the US to no avail.

Sadly (so far as I understand it at least) getting hold of anyone seems to be a problem.  Our attorneys have even said, once in the system and through the various stages of i130 then DQ etc etc you have to sit and wait to be called.  I guess it's like being in line at the DMV or various other government institutions both here and in the US, the more you shout and make a scene, the more likely it seems people ignore you.

From all I've read over the past few months in this thread and a lot of others, patience really is the overriding factor.  I definitely get how you feel, we've been at this almost 3 years, it takes it's toll!

Like the above poster said, nothing can be done in this stage. 

We have worked with two US congressmen, a member of staff in the Belfast consulate and the Northern Ireland First Minister to push our case along during the USCIS and NVC process. Once the cases are this far (waiting to be scheduled for interview), they cannot do anything. Nobody can control how the London Embassy runs. They have refused to adapt to the current climate and not much can be done from the outside unfortunately. 

As I shared above, a contact within the Belfast Consulate is doing their best to grab any sort of information for me to share with this group. 

It is obviously extremely upsetting. My husband will not get back the months that he has missed of my daughters life. This is entirely unfair but we have to stay hopeful otherwise we will end up giving up on the fight we have all been fighting for months. 

We will get through this and will have the experience to share with those that are only beginning this journey, to help them avoid the experience we as COVID-19 filers, have experienced. 

3 hours ago, Rol_P said:

I don't think that our PM will be able to expedite anything as this is a US embassy issue.  Most of those who have had K1 visa issues have had to join class action law suits in the US to try to get their visa issuances granted (I can't remember the group law suit name). My wife has even written to her equivalent of a local MP in the US to no avail.

Sadly (so far as I understand it at least) getting hold of anyone seems to be a problem.  Our attorneys have even said, once in the system and through the various stages of i130 then DQ etc etc you have to sit and wait to be called.  I guess it's like being in line at the DMV or various other government institutions both here and in the US, the more you shout and make a scene, the more likely it seems people ignore you.

From all I've read over the past few months in this thread and a lot of others, patience really is the overriding factor.  I definitely get how you feel, we've been at this almost 3 years, it takes it's toll!

What do you mean you’ve been at this for 3 years? When did you get DQ-ed?

2 minutes ago, Anonymous101 said:

What do you mean you’ve been at this for 3 years? When did you get DQ-ed?

Process as a whole.  DQ'd Feb 23rd having been held up for 13 months by inept attorneys (a whole other story not required in this thread) then of course now in COVID backlogs and all else that is adding to the slow down.

6 hours ago, Lucky4George said:

The UK PM has no authority over the operations of the US embassy. The US embassy is a diplomatic mission of the US in the UK and answers to the US government, not to UK authorities.  I agree that it is insane for them to keep families apart for this long but we are at their mercy since we are wanting to enter their country and become residents. I do however think that we should think about what we can do. The only thing that seems to work is litigation - a class action lawsuit against the London embassy is what got people their K1 visa interviews. However that also will cost us additional legal fees. Your frustration is justified- I’m becoming frustrated myself to the point that it effects my day to day life now. It’s definitely taking a very real toll on me mentally. 

Edited by Anonymous101

6 hours ago, Rol_P said:

Agree--that's what our lawyer said as well. Nothing to do except wait, unless you want to join a Mandamus lawsuit (which we are not going to do, but of course others can/should make their own determination of that). We are coming up on 1 year (Sept 2) of starting the process, so of course not as long as many, but similarly frustrating! I'm glad we are at least able to travel to the UK if/as needed to visit.

I have a friend who has a friend that works in the London embassy. They used to work in visa services but were recently transferred to a different role before they will be rotated to a different post/country in August. I've asked the friend to check with the person and see if they know anything about delays, timelines, etc. So far no word. But I'll share what I do find out, if anything. 

Edited by meaghanpk

1 hour ago, EmliS said:

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that I recently received an interview date by the NVC. My case is a little different in that it was transferred from a different embassy and has been DQ'd since October 2020. So I think that recent DQers are just around the corner for London. It's really upsetting to read that people are in such a difficult situations with their families, but sometimes all the speculation isn't especially helpful - I hope that this news gives people some optimism.

Congrats on getting your interview date! Where did you transfer from? Moscow? Feel really sorry to what's happened to those waiting for interviews over there but glad to see at least someone has a date in London.

Edited by S&R2019

2 minutes ago, S&R2019 said:

Congrats on getting your interview date! Where did you transfer from? Moscow? Feel really sorry to what's happened over there but glad to see at least someone has a date in London.

Thank you! I transferred from Moscow, yes. I just thought it would be good for people to hear that dates are being given and I'm sure it won't be too long for more recent DQers. Also wanted to say thanks for everyone's posts, it has been really comforting to know that I'm not alone and haven't been forgotten about which was what I thought after waiting for so long in Moscow. London has been really efficient and very speedy, so I have my fingers crossed for everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 hours ago, SB0402 said:

They have refused to adapt to the current climate and not much can be done from the outside unfortunately. 

Have they actually refused or are they short staffed because people are working from home like many other jobs in the UK.  And They have to follow social distancing rules about workplaces. They are interviewing but can’t go as fast as they used to pre-Covid is how I read it. Plus the spots available are sometimes filled with the mandamus lawsuit K1s and those that come in from other embassies because they find London faster than their country. That might push you back slightly.

7 hours ago, Anonymous101 said:

The US embassy is a diplomatic mission of the US in the UK and answers to the US government, not to UK authorities.

But the embassy has to follow UK covid restrictions. And the full UK opening has been pushed back a month now. Yes I agree with your answer that a British PM can’t demand the US government move your case along.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.