Boiler

Eskimo Pie ice-cream to be renamed to help achieve ‘racial equality’, says Peters

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Not really -- although I see how you could get there. It's more like.... I acknowledge as well that this situation is absurd, and that we are writing about it as if it were serious, but we both know it's absurd, so I'll use this reaction (the "care" FB reaction) to pretend I am sending "thoughts and prayers" about this absurd thing. For instance, an article that says something like, "Nationwide Pumpkin Spice Latte Shortage Upends America" would get a "care" reaction.

It's subtle. Maybe it's just my friends and me who use it this way. 

That's twice in one day you've claimed the "friends" thing.  Not sure that word means what you think it does...  :rofl:

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

That's twice in one day you've claimed the "friends" thing.  Not sure that word means what you think it does...  :rofl:

Um, like people I have known since I was in grade school (or earlier)? 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Um, like people I have known since I was in grade school (or earlier)? 🤷‍♀️

I know lots of people (and lots longer than you've been alive), but that does not make them my "friends".  More like acquaintances.  I don't allow very many people into my close circle of friends, and only the best are in there.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know lots of people (and lots longer than you've been alive), but that does not make them my "friends".  More like acquaintances.  I don't allow very many people into my close circle of friends, and only the best are in there.

We are different people, quite obviously. I have two circles of friends I'm tight with. One is from my childhood -- six of us. We grew up together within blocks of each other, went to school with each other, and we're like a big family. If they call, I will always, ALWAYS pick up the phone on the first ring. Most of us have even seen each other in person this summer too, which was fantastic and socially distanced. :) Two of them married and their first child is due just about any second now. 

The other group is my UK crew -- a little looser alliance, a bit more shifting over time. My divorce blew a hole in it to some extent, but I didn't lose anyone from it. Of that group I'd say I'm very close to three of them, like talking on the phone regularly about everything and nothing. One of those is more like you -- she keeps her tight circle very, very small. She recently "officially" let my friend Sasha and me in. Oh, she does love Al, but he is barred because he's a man and we are a girl gang.

And then of course there are a few others -- college roommates, a former colleague. Still close, still chat on the phone and Zoom and text. Acquaintances, sure, tons of them. Old high school classmates, people I knew from work, ladies from my old book group. I keep up with them but I can go years without speaking to them.

I know the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. I just happen to have opened myself up to deep connections with more people. I don't think that makes me a better person, just different from you. :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What about your VJ friends?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

We are different people, quite obviously. I have two circles of friends I'm tight with. One is from my childhood -- six of us. We grew up together within blocks of each other, went to school with each other, and we're like a big family. If they call, I will always, ALWAYS pick up the phone on the first ring. Most of us have even seen each other in person this summer too, which was fantastic and socially distanced. :) Two of them married and their first child is due just about any second now. 

The other group is my UK crew -- a little looser alliance, a bit more shifting over time. My divorce blew a hole in it to some extent, but I didn't lose anyone from it. Of that group I'd say I'm very close to three of them, like talking on the phone regularly about everything and nothing. One of those is more like you -- she keeps her tight circle very, very small. She recently "officially" let my friend Sasha and me in. Oh, she does love Al, but he is barred because he's a man and we are a girl gang.

And then of course there are a few others -- college roommates, a former colleague. Still close, still chat on the phone and Zoom and text. Acquaintances, sure, tons of them. Old high school classmates, people I knew from work, ladies from my old book group. I keep up with them but I can go years without speaking to them.

I know the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. I just happen to have opened myself up to deep connections with more people. I don't think that makes me a better person, just different from you. :) 

So if I can maff this early into the morning hours, you are claiming about 9 close friends.  That's what I am talking about.  I haven't put fingers to names like you just did, but I suspect it would come out to about the same, no more than 2 more.  

Now, I am the kind of person who will go above and beyond even for acquaintances if I can reasonably do so, but friends?  Those I'd go more than just an extra mile for.  Even if I don't talk to them for years at a time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, laylalex said:

You're Number One in my book. ❤️ 

😭

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

2 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

😭

I met him first, if that's any consolation. 💕

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

So if I can maff this early into the morning hours, you are claiming about 9 close friends.  That's what I am talking about.  I haven't put fingers to names like you just did, but I suspect it would come out to about the same, no more than 2 more.  

Now, I am the kind of person who will go above and beyond even for acquaintances if I can reasonably do so, but friends?  Those I'd go more than just an extra mile for.  Even if I don't talk to them for years at a time.

The maff works out a bit like this: Burbank crew is 5 (not counting myself), UK crew is 8 (again not counting myself but counting Al). Closer to 3 of those 8 (Al, the girl gang organizer and my friend Sasha). Then my former manager up north and two of my college roommates. So that's 11 at the least, 16 at the most.

Ban Hammer will be interested to know the girl gang leader is the one he was asking about some months ago. :lol:

And yes, I count Alex as one of my closest friends, my very best. We were friends before we were anything else. I am going to get super soppy so I will shut up before I start crying thinking about how thankful I am to have him in my life. My new meds make me especially weepy and sentimental these days. (Known side effect.)

12 hours ago, laylalex said:

You're Number One in my book. ❤️ 

Scuse me ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, laylalex said:

. I am going to get super soppy so I will shut up before I start crying thinking about how thankful I am to have him in my life. My new meds make me especially weepy and sentimental these days. (Known side effect.)

Don't worry.  That problem will go away after you have been married a few years...

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

2 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Scuse me ???

Sorry, NB. :( You are also in the Book of the Chosen (by Layla).

3 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Don't worry.  That problem will go away after you have been married a few years...

LOL -- it went away with Husband #1 pretty quickly, though he liked to remind me how I was the lucky one. 15 days to go, the countdown has begun. :) Signing the prenup this afternoon at my lawyer's office. 

Maybe I will celebrate with an Eskimo Pie -- if I can still buy one. ;) 

32 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Sorry, NB. :( You are also in the Book of the Chosen (by Layla).

LOL -- it went away with Husband #1 pretty quickly, though he liked to remind me how I was the lucky one. 15 days to go, the countdown has begun. :) Signing the prenup this afternoon at my lawyer's office. 

Maybe I will celebrate with an Eskimo Pie -- if I can still buy one. ;) 

Innuit Pies?  Indigenous Circumpolar Pies perhaps?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 10/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, laylalex said:

I am going to get super soppy so I will shut up before I start crying thinking about how thankful I am to have him in my life. My new meds make me especially weepy and sentimental these days. (Known side effect.)

The antidote (and the most dangerous of foods) is Wedding Cake, LL ma'am.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Neonred said:

Don't worry.  That problem will go away after you have been married a few years.

Verified by a reliable source, LL ma'am.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).