Boiler

Eskimo Pie ice-cream to be renamed to help achieve ‘racial equality’, says Peters

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Too true. I told the wife.. after 10 years, I just feel so thankful that I have me in my life. 

ZexNss0.gif

Love it.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline
7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

The antidote (and the most dangerous of foods) is Wedding Cake, LL ma'am.

Verified by a reliable source, LL ma'am.

Yes.

Hey, you won't believe where I am.  Texas!  The drive up from SW Florida was no fun especially I-10 in TX.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Only took us 4 hours to get to EYW from FLL.  Just one wreck today, so not too bad.

So I guess you weren't flying  LOL

Kind of fits in this topic too, Canadian Football League team is also dropping the Eskimo name.

Edmonton Eskimos’ name change is praised by a national Inuit group, seen as a step toward dismantling racism.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/07/16/edmonton-eskimos-to-make-major-announcement-amid-name-change-speculation.html

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Kind of fits in this topic too, Canadian Football League team is also dropping the Eskimo name.

Edmonton Eskimos’ name change is praised by a national Inuit group, seen as a step toward dismantling racism.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/07/16/edmonton-eskimos-to-make-major-announcement-amid-name-change-speculation.html

I'll never understand how having a word like Eskimo or redskin in a name is racist. Just doesn't fit the criteria.

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'll never understand how having a word like Eskimo or redskin in a name is racist. Just doesn't fit the criteria.

For those who genuinely despise racism, they understand the stupidity of this because they understand the ambiguity and fluidity of language, and they understand language itself isn't inherently racism. We've seen how wrong outrage often is (take for example the three pointer "okay" sign (👌) conflated to mean white supremacy),  but the point of this isn't right/wrong, correct/incorrect, it's simply an authoritarian cudgel bereft any intellect, lazily aimed at bludgeoning an opponent, as the expectation is people cow to it first. This is why we logically go back to our roots of not being squeamish about claims of racism absent proof of racism, it allows times like this where racism had been at a low point,  yet where there's so much sudden floods of invented racism the social effects of saying up is down results in a self fulfilling prophecy of rising racism (albeit not toward the people described, toward others). 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

49 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The inuit community finds it offensive. I don't think we always have to understand it, I just accept it Many of these names started out  innocuously and then were used in demeaning or derogatory fashion for long enough to have that connotation stick. 

If you tell me not to say eskimo, I may say why/who cares what you think and argue about it, but if an inuit person tells me it's offensive to them, I believe it and I respect it. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Do they have to change the name of potatoes that have a certain color skin?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The inuit community finds it offensive. I don't think we always have to understand it, I just accept it Many of these names started out  innocuously and then were used in demeaning or derogatory fashion for long enough to have that connotation stick. 

If you tell me not to say eskimo, I may say why/who cares what you think and argue about it, but if an inuit person tells me it's offensive to them, I believe it and I respect it. 

It does, meaning the Inuit community?  If it is, it appears to be potentially due another Indigenous language.

Etymology[edit]

Further information: Native American name controversy

There exists a scholarly consensus that the word Eskimo etymologically derives from the Innu-aimun (Montagnais) word ayas̆kimew meaning "a person who laces a snowshoe" (an origin proposed by Ives Goddard at the Smithsonian Institution),[23] is related to husky (a breed of dog), and does not have pejorative meaning in origin.[2][24][23][25][23] (The word assime·w means "she laces a snowshoe" in Innu, and Innu language speakers refer to the neighbouring Mi'kmaqpeople using words that sound like eskimo.[26][27])

In 1978, José Mailhot, a Quebec anthropologist who speaks Montagnais, published a paper suggesting that Eskimo meant "people who speak a different language".[28][29] French traders who encountered the Montagnais in the eastern areas, adopted their word for the more western peoples and spelled it as Esquimau in a transliteration.[citation needed]

Some people consider Eskimo offensive, because it is popularly perceived to mean[23][29][30][31]"eaters of raw meat" in Algonquian languages common to people along the Atlantic coast.[24][32][33] An unnamed Cree speaker suggested the original word that became corrupted to Eskimo might have been askamiciw(which means "he eats it raw"); the Inuit are referred to in some Cree texts as askipiw (which means "eats something raw").[32][33][34][35] Some people still believe that Eskimo translates to "eater of raw meat", which may be seen, or used, in a pejorative way.[12][36][37][32][38] However, this etymology has been discredited.[39]

One of the first printed uses of the French word Esquimaux comes from Samuel Hearne's A Journey from Prince of Wales's Fort in Hudson's Bay to the Northern Ocean in the Years 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772 first published in 1795.[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The nice thing about this is everybody can play and be offended.

Limey Jock, Sheep Shagger Mick etc etc

Now obviously those that are can use the term.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

The nice thing about this is everybody can play and be offended.

Limey Jock, Sheep Shagger Mick etc etc

Now obviously those that are can use the term.

I guess if you have a great need or desire to use those terms, then just go for it. I've made it a lot of years without needing to use them. Not sure what the issue is with people. On occasion I have used terms that someone has later informed me have derogatory connotations and I try not to use them after that. We are not bound to using those words. It's a choice.

One of my friends growing up was of Indian descent. By the time we were in high school he was the biggest guy around -  wrestler weightlifter type. I've heard people use ethnic slurs many times, but nobody ever used ethnic slurs around him. People do know it's wrong, and they do know the consequences. 

2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

It does, meaning the Inuit community?  If it is, it appears to be potentially due another Indigenous language.

The Inuit community says (according to some of the articles) that the term was applied in a derogatory manner for years, and many find it's modern usage offensive. Why do we need to debate the etymology? The term means nothing to me personally, but It is very offensive to an entire group of people. We don't need to argue about why it should or shouldn't be offensive. Use the word or don't, but you know it is offensive. No need to rationalize beyond that. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The Inuit community says (according to some of the articles) that the term was applied in a derogatory manner for years, and many find it's modern usage offensive. Why do we need to debate the etymology? The term means nothing to me personally, but It is very offensive to an entire group of people. We don't need to argue about why it should or shouldn't be offensive. Use the word or don't, but you know it is offensive. No need to rationalize beyond that. 

What about the Yupiks, Inupiats, and Aluets?

http://theveganeskimo.com/index.php/blog/90-is-eskimo-really-a-derogatory-term

Edited by Dashinka

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Classic example, Eskimo is not a derogatory terms and one group amongst many it can be said to describe have decided to take offence.

Pom is a common term used by Australians to mainly describe English, now the full version is not VJ friendly but never heard of anyone taking offence, perhaps we need to?

Now of course this is a moving target as pretty much anything can and will be taking offense at by the permanently offended. Perhaps they just need to grow up.

Used to amuse me that back in the UK some of the most offensive language I ever heard about Pakistanis was by Indian friends.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”