smoothoperaytor

Confused, overwhelmed, and need help with Visa options

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, smoothoperaytor said:

We tried to get married when I was in Russia, but the embassy shut down one week before my appointment to get the affidavit notarized. Since as far as I know that is only available at the embassy, we've been on standby.

Getting married in another country wasn't considered until I read about it on this forum. I didn't realize it was possible. 

You can marry anywhere that will legally and officially marry you.

2 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

You can marry anywhere that will legally and officially marry you.

Yes, I realize that now.

I'm looking at what the best option is. Mexico or Albania or ??? It would have to be a country we both can visit.

And, it would have to be somewhere where I can find someone to assist with the process. I'm looking into services that are available in other countries for this type of thing (fast and legal marriage).

Edited by smoothoperaytor

Timeline
Just now, smoothoperaytor said:

It sounds like most of the time is spent waiting for whatever office, consulate, or embassy to process your information.

Which takes none of your time nor requires effort on your part.

Timeline
1 minute ago, smoothoperaytor said:

Yes, but it's still time I have to spend waiting.

I dunno dude.  I could have bought any service on the planet.  I built those packages exactly the way I wanted to build and submit them.

Since ‘06 when I got here I’ve seen enough stories of mucked up cases from attorneys and third parties to fill a bookcase.  Use them yes, but do not make the mistake of believing you don’t need to spend the same effort, same amount of time (probably more time) collecting and arranging and carefully auditing all of the filed documentation before it goes in.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, smoothoperaytor said:

Yes, I realize that now.

I'm looking at what the best option is. Mexico or Albania or ??? It would have to be a country we both can visit.

And, it would have to be somewhere where I can find someone to assist with the process. I'm looking into services that are available in other countries for this type of thing (fast and legal marriage).

There's things to consider when looking into a another country, especially during COVID times. It needs to be a country you can both visit (especially where Russians can go without a visa which is limited), a country where flights are accessible and do not transit through banned countries (not sure if Russia is allowing flights to Albania), preferably a country with a fast marriage certificate, and you have to meet all the requirements of that country (blood tests, divorce decree translated, any other documents needed etc).

It's a lot of information to sift through and the hardest part for me was finding flights. Flight paths are incredibly limited and expensive during COVID - (I've seen people say travel is cheap during COVID, that's a myth). Russia is being very strict with letting their people out right now too.

I looked in Mexico but I was a little weary of the blood test. Most states require a blood test to get married there and some even require you to take the blood test, in Mexico, 14 days before the wedding. 

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

18 minutes ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

There's things to consider when looking into a another country, especially during COVID times. It needs to be a country you can both visit (especially where Russians can go without a visa which is limited), a country where flights are accessible and do not transit through banned countries (not sure if Russia is allowing flights to Albania), preferably a country with a fast marriage certificate, and you have to meet all the requirements of that country (blood tests, divorce decree translated, any other documents needed etc).

It's a lot of information to sift through and the hardest part for me was finding flights. Flight paths are incredibly limited and expensive during COVID - (I've seen people say travel is cheap during COVID, that's a myth). Russia is being very strict with letting their people out right now too.

I looked in Mexico but I was a little weary of the blood test. Most states require a blood test to get married there and some even require you to take the blood test, in Mexico, 14 days before the wedding. 

Why were you weary about a blood test? Doesn't seem like a problem for me. 

We may just end up traveling and enjoying life together again, while we wait for things to open up. She doesn't like flying and Mexico is a long ways from Penza.

It looks like Georgia is an option once it's open again for Russians. We love Georgian food. And even though it's closed to the US, I qualify for a year long digital nomad visa. The marriage process there seems straightforward. And once we are married, I should be able to visit Russia with my spouse + 3 year tourist visa as we go through immigrant visa process.

I'm fortunate to be flexible. My business is online and income is very good. But even considering that, options are limited.

Edited by smoothoperaytor
Typos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you feel you need a Lawyer I would appoint a Lawyer not a tele sales

type operation 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, smoothoperaytor said:

I already have a service in mind, but can you explain the difference between appointment and telesales?

Even with a service or an attorney, you will still have to do all the leg work of gathering documents and providing information.  Services and attorneys only fill in blank forms using information you have provided by filling in their blank forms.  They then send the documents to USCIS and NVC.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Even with a service or an attorney, you will still have to do all the leg work of gathering documents and providing information.  Services and attorneys only fill in blank forms using information you have provided by filling in their blank forms.  They then send the documents to USCIS and NVC.

They do other things too like prepare you for interviews and help you make sure you're doing all the steps in the correct order.

My fiance and I wasted several months trying to get her a tourist visa to the US. She was rejected twice because they felt like she wouldn't return back to Russia, which is silly. They just saw that she had an American boyfriend and that was all it took for the rejection. She has a savings in Russia, family in Russia, property in Russia, and friends in Russia, but they still rejected her. Should we have used a company, I think we (she) would have been better prepared for the interview and process. 

We tried in Vladivostok by the way because appointments were faster there than in Moscow. They couldn't wrap their head around why we would do that. They also were confused about the fact that were were traveling so much. She told them I worked online and they were confused about that as well. It's as if they had a mindset from the 1960s.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, smoothoperaytor said:

They do other things too like prepare you for interviews and help you make sure you're doing all the steps in the correct order.

LOL!!!!!!   Our attorney caused us at least a 3 month delay because he failed to send the proper documents, and he gave us incorrect information........the "preparation for the interview" consisted of a list of a couple hundred questions....none of which were asked.  As I said, you are still responsible for supplying ALL the information and source documents the service will use.........but, it's your money......I'm just relating my experience.......good luck.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

LOL!!!!!!   Our attorney caused us at least a 3 month delay because he failed to send the proper documents, and he gave us incorrect information........the "preparation for the interview" consisted of a list of questions....none of which were asked.  As I said, you are still responsible for supplying ALL the information and source documents the service will use.........but, it's your money......I'm just relating my experience.......good luck.

That sucks. It just goes to show that there's no perfect option. Anything can happen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 minutes ago, smoothoperaytor said:

My fiance and I wasted several months trying to get her a tourist visa to the US. She was rejected twice because they felt like she wouldn't return back to Russia, which is silly. They just saw that she had an American boyfriend and that was all it took for the rejection. She has a savings in Russia, family in Russia, property in Russia, and friends in Russia, but they still rejected her. Should we have used a company, I think we (she) would have been better prepared for the interview and process. 

Tourist visa applications from Russian women with an American love interest are usually denied because it is very difficult to overcome the immigrant intent assumption.  We see these denials all the time here on VJ, whether they use "a company" or do it themselves, the outcome is the same.  Unfortunately, you can thank all the Russians who abused their tourist visas in the past for that.  Sounds like you will be fine if you decide to get married and apply for a spousal visa, you can live together anywhere in the world while you wait.  The only challenge with the nomad lifestyle is you'll have to show evidence of US domicile and some consulates/embassies are strict in interpreting that rule.  Good luck!

4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Tourist visa applications from Russian women with an American love interest are usually denied because it is very difficult to overcome the immigrant intent assumption.  We see these denials all the time here on VJ, whether they use "a company" or do it themselves, the outcome is the same.  Unfortunately, you can thank all the Russians who abused their tourist visas in the past for that.  Sounds like you will be fine if you decide to get married and apply for a spousal visa, you can live together anywhere in the world while you wait.  The only challenge with the nomad lifestyle is you'll have to show evidence of US domicile and some consulates/embassies are strict in interpreting that rule.  Good luck!

Thanks. This is all uncharted territory. It helps to find other people navigating these same issues. I have property in the US, so hopefully the US domicile isn't an issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.